Unpopular take; Trump is still a stronger R nominee than DeSantis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:05:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Unpopular take; Trump is still a stronger R nominee than DeSantis (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unpopular take; Trump is still a stronger R nominee than DeSantis  (Read 1757 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« on: November 30, 2022, 06:41:11 PM »

Ik especially after his landslide re-election in 2022, a lot of people have been pointing to DeSantis as a potential R nominee who would come with a lot go Trump's strengths but without his baggage. However, I'm skeptical.

While it is true that there are def "never-Trumpers" out there who would vote for DeSantis but not Trump in a GE, this is a pretty small group unless DeSantis makes a pretty proactive effort to sufficiently distance himself from Trump which I don't think will happen.

Furthermore, you have a large chunk of Trump supporters that just wouldn't show up to vote for DeSantis in a GE, especially if you have a really contentious and negative primary. There's a good chance Trump claims DeSantis stole the primary if he wins, and he'll be salty until election day and tell his supporters not to show up. Most DeSantis voters seem to be supporting him through the lens of being "electable" or "time to move on", which indicates they are more team players who will show up and vote R pretty much no matter what.

Finally, I think while DeSantis may be relatively young and have a cute family, he is relatively uncharismatic. Just look at the recent 2022 Florida Gov debate; he was honestly kind of awkward, especially when it wasn't his turn to speak and trying to do "comebacks" against Christ. Obviously, this is a skill that can be improved, but I don't understand where his charisma comes from.

It's also worth noting that locking down FL isn't really a benefit to Rs in the way it was a decade ago. Florida is a *must win* for Rs; they have virtually no path to victory without it at the Pres level.

Historically, Dems have been seen as the more factioned party, but I think this cycle, the GOP is really going to have to find a way to both great Trump supporters to show up, and to win over "moderates/independents".

How sacrilegious.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:15:44 PM »

Question to ProgressiveModerate,
Tell me how Trump can win a GE with a 39 % Favorable Rating with over 60 % viewing him Unfavorably. And that's nationally. In the Battleground States it is even worse for Trump.

Polarization. Biden and Dems were reguarly hovering around 40% approval over the past 2 years yet ended up with a historically strong midterm perfromance.

What's perfromance? A performative romance?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies