UT: 2004 Referendum General Election Result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:42:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  UT: 2004 Referendum General Election Result
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UT: 2004 Referendum General Election Result  (Read 1712 times)
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2007, 12:17:02 AM »

New Election: 2004 Utah Referendum General Election Results

Bush outperformed this amendment too
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:40:15 AM »

Hilarious that Kerry ran eight points behind same-sex marriage.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:59:15 AM »

Summit County has the perfect ingredients to be a Bush/anti-gay marriage ban county - a very solid liberal base with a conservative base that has a reason to vote "no" in some numbers.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 07:10:22 AM »

I'm impressed by the fact that No actually won in TWO counties.  I was expecting to see a resounding yes from all the counties and with 70% saying yes overall.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »

I'm a bit surprised by San Juan County, which is majority Native American. Grand County actually leans Democratic, so it should be no surprise, and Summit County has the same sort of demographics that sunk the referendum in Arizona.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »

I'm a bit surprised by San Juan County, which is majority Native American. Grand County actually leans Democratic, so it should be no surprise, and Summit County has the same sort of demographics that sunk the referendum in Arizona.

San Juan County may have Indians, but they're pretty heavily Mormon (IIRC) and probably don't consist more than half of the electorate.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »

Very interesting. This seems to be the only state where this is so. Perhaps Utah isn't nearly as socially conservative as most people think it is.

As for Summit and Grand voting for Bush and against this amendment, of the states that have had anti-gay marriage amendments the past 3 years, only 13 other counties that voted for Bush in 2004, opposed their state's anti-gay marriage amendment.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 07:00:33 PM »

Very interesting. This seems to be the only state where this is so.

South Dakota, Arizona.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 07:14:22 PM »

Very interesting. This seems to be the only state where this is so.

South Dakota, Arizona.

Thanks for the correction. Anyway, it still seems to indicate that Utah has more social liberals than it is perceived to have.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 07:16:52 PM »

Thanks for the correction. Anyway, it still seems to indicate that Utah has more social liberals than it is perceived to have.

If you look at 2004 results for similarly hyper-Republican areas outside of the south, you'll see a similar pattern.  It happened in Oregon too, where the ban was not as strong, I think.

Besides, the "anti-" side had some support from very conservative Mormons.  It was closer than I expected despite all of this, but I don't think there are lots of socially liberal Bush voters in Utah or anything like that.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »

If you look at 2004 results for similarly hyper-Republican areas outside of the south, you'll see a similar pattern.  It happened in Oregon too, where the ban was not as strong, I think.

Besides, the "anti-" side had some support from very conservative Mormons.  It was closer than I expected despite all of this, but I don't think there are lots of socially liberal Bush voters in Utah or anything like that.

I'm not sure what you mean with regards to Oregon, Kerry beat Bush 52-48, and the anti-gay marriage amendment passed 57-43. Every Bush county in Oregon voted for the amendment.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean with regards to Oregon, Kerry beat Bush 52-48, and the anti-gay marriage amendment passed 57-43. Every Bush county in Oregon voted for the amendment.

I was referring to the counties where Bush did as well as he did in Utah.  You saw some fall there, and I don't think the Oregon proposition also banned civil unions (which I think the Utah one also did)...
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 06:39:08 AM »

Same-Sex Marriage Bans seem most popular in the South.  Bush voters in the West are more libertarian and thus less supportive of federal interference, even if they do not approve of homosexuality.  I supose there has been a small backlash against the big-government Republican incumbency in the West - evident in closer elections in 2006 in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana.  The Democrats seem to be finally becoming more organised there. 
RBH

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »

Here's the results from Michigan

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2004&off=51&elect=0&fips=26&f=0

Lansing and Ann Arbor against
Rest of state for
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 07:29:22 PM »

I looked up the city results and Detroit even voted for the Amendment, though narrowly.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 12:52:14 AM »

That doesn't surprise me. I'm surprised it didn't pass by a wider margin in Detroit actually.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies