Ron Desantis might be peaking too early (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:44:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ron Desantis might be peaking too early (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Desantis might be peaking too early  (Read 1979 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 29, 2022, 12:55:37 PM »

I think the difference between Scott Walker and Ron DeSantis is that DeSantis actually did all this trolly stuff that the base loves.

DeSantis can get up on stage and talk about "banning the woke agenda from our schools" and "sending illegal immigrants to blue states" or "stopping Dr. Fauci from telling us how to live our lives" and people will cheer and applaud.

Meanwhile Walker was known for making life miserable for unions and rejecting Obamacare funds, neither of which are issues that resonate with the base.  They resonate with the billionaire donor class and writers for The Federalist which is how he got so much hype.  And then nobody cared once he actually got on stage.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 02:57:56 PM »

I never thought Kamala Harris stood a chance at winning the primary.  She was just so boring.  Most of her resume was her identity.  Competent, sure, a good senator, sure, but nothing to excite people or lead them to choose her over their fave, unless they just really wanted a black woman nominee.

My recollection of 2007 is that Fred Thompson's appeal was primarily based on him being a big actor, just like Ronald Reagan.  I remember listening to right-wing talk radio and everyone just kept comparing him to Reagan, and as far as I could tell it was just because he was another actor and they hoped he'd be a "great communicator" who could skewer the Dems.  It was transparently fake.

Rudy Giuliani led primary polling for the entirety of 2007 and failed primarily because he was a strategic idiot who placed all his chips in Florida.

My take on Tim Pawlenty is similar to my take on Scott Walker except that Tim Pawlenty never even polled well.  Pawlenty never got above 4% and most of the hype was based on his having been considered as a VP nominee in 2008.

In short I don't think any of these comparisons for DeSantis are apt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies