Ron Desantis might be peaking too early
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:15:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ron Desantis might be peaking too early
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Ron Desantis might be peaking too early  (Read 1894 times)
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2022, 10:47:44 PM »

I can definitely see this as a possibility. With the moderate suburban wing, the media, and the neocons painting Desantis as the alternative to Desantis, so much attention will be on him. High possibility of fading away early. 
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 11:15:44 PM »

Yeah he’s riding high in the polls over a year before the 1st ballots are gonna be cast in the 1st states. Beto was also polling really well at this point in 2018.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 11:21:57 PM »

I can definitely see this as a possibility. With the moderate suburban wing, the media, and the neocons painting Desantis as the alternative to Desantis, so much attention will be on him. High possibility of fading away early. 

Yes, they are definitely painting him as the alternative to himself.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 11:05:40 AM »

DeSantis won't be the first highly touted candidate who probably won't survive his first contact with voters.
Remember Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Tim Pawlenty, Scott Walker, etc.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 11:46:22 AM »

He might be, and he might also not be. This is all entirely baseless conjecture driven largely if not entirely by the personal preferences/wishful thinking of both sides.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 12:55:37 PM »

I think the difference between Scott Walker and Ron DeSantis is that DeSantis actually did all this trolly stuff that the base loves.

DeSantis can get up on stage and talk about "banning the woke agenda from our schools" and "sending illegal immigrants to blue states" or "stopping Dr. Fauci from telling us how to live our lives" and people will cheer and applaud.

Meanwhile Walker was known for making life miserable for unions and rejecting Obamacare funds, neither of which are issues that resonate with the base.  They resonate with the billionaire donor class and writers for The Federalist which is how he got so much hype.  And then nobody cared once he actually got on stage.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 01:13:15 PM »

DeSantis won't be the first highly touted candidate who probably won't survive his first contact with voters.
LOL, comparing Ron DeSantis to Giuliani, Thompson, Pawlenty or Scott Walker is beyond pale from you.

DeSantis won't turn into another Scott Walker I'll promise you that.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 02:20:36 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2022, 02:24:45 PM by Dr Oz Hater »

It's entirely possible. We've seen seemingly-inevitable, media-hyped candidates crash and burn many times. Rudy Giuliani, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, Kamala Harris, to name a few...

He also doesn't strike me as a particularly charismatic politician, and I don't know how well his culture war is going to play outside of Florida. I find it hard to believe suburban Pennsylvania is going to be swayed by a guy whose top issues are fighting "wokeness" and banning trans people from competing in high school sports.

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 02:24:15 PM »

It's entirely possible. We've seen seemingly-inevitable, media-hyped candidates crash and burn many times. Rudy Giuliani, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, Beto O'Rourke, Kamala Harris, to name a few...

He also doesn't strike me as a particularly charismatic politician, and I don't know how well his culture war is going to play outside of Florida. I find it hard to believe suburban PA is going to break for a guy whose number one issue is banning trans people from competing in high school sports.

I would argue that none of those people are comparable to DeSantis, especially not Beto, Kamala, and Walker who were entirely propped up by media people who are not representative of either party's voters.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 02:57:56 PM »

I never thought Kamala Harris stood a chance at winning the primary.  She was just so boring.  Most of her resume was her identity.  Competent, sure, a good senator, sure, but nothing to excite people or lead them to choose her over their fave, unless they just really wanted a black woman nominee.

My recollection of 2007 is that Fred Thompson's appeal was primarily based on him being a big actor, just like Ronald Reagan.  I remember listening to right-wing talk radio and everyone just kept comparing him to Reagan, and as far as I could tell it was just because he was another actor and they hoped he'd be a "great communicator" who could skewer the Dems.  It was transparently fake.

Rudy Giuliani led primary polling for the entirety of 2007 and failed primarily because he was a strategic idiot who placed all his chips in Florida.

My take on Tim Pawlenty is similar to my take on Scott Walker except that Tim Pawlenty never even polled well.  Pawlenty never got above 4% and most of the hype was based on his having been considered as a VP nominee in 2008.

In short I don't think any of these comparisons for DeSantis are apt.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 03:05:37 PM »

Rudy Giuliani led primary polling for the entirety of 2007 and failed primarily because he was a strategic idiot who placed all his chips in Florida.

My take on Tim Pawlenty is similar to my take on Scott Walker except that Tim Pawlenty never even polled well.  Pawlenty never got above 4% and most of the hype was based on his having been considered as a VP nominee in 2008.

In short I don't think any of these comparisons for DeSantis are apt.

Giuliani followed the Florida strategy for the simple reason that his numbers tanked in Iowa and New Hampshire the moment he started campaigning there. He was one of those candidates that the more you see of the less you like.

Pawlenty was the darling of DC press corps. A two-term blue state governor who was in good standing with both wings of the party. But everyone else knew better that the guy had all the charisma of a wet blanket and he floundered in the debates. Michelle Bachmann of all people was the one who did a number on him and he never recovered.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »

I think the difference between Scott Walker and Ron DeSantis is that DeSantis actually did all this trolly stuff that the base loves.

DeSantis can get up on stage and talk about "banning the woke agenda from our schools" and "sending illegal immigrants to blue states" or "stopping Dr. Fauci from telling us how to live our lives" and people will cheer and applaud.

Meanwhile Walker was known for making life miserable for unions and rejecting Obamacare funds, neither of which are issues that resonate with the base.  They resonate with the billionaire donor class and writers for The Federalist which is how he got so much hype.  And then nobody cared once he actually got on stage.

This is why I think that a lot of the hype around DeSantis as some god-tier general election candidate is very odd. Most of his major 'accomplishments' are just culture war nonsense that only appeals to the GOP base. Normal people and swing voters don't care about that stuff. I'm not convinced why DeSantis whining about Disney being too woke is any less embarrassing than most of the stuff Trump does.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 06:07:45 PM »

This is why I think that a lot of the hype around DeSantis as some god-tier general election candidate is very odd. Most of his major 'accomplishments' are just culture war nonsense that only appeals to the GOP base. Normal people and swing voters don't care about that stuff. I'm not convinced why DeSantis whining about Disney being too woke is any less embarrassing than most of the stuff Trump does.

Yeah, both Democratic and Republican operatives admitted that all the anti-trans, anti-woke ads aired this election cycle moved zero votes. The vast majority of the electorate just doesn't care for these issues.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 06:20:20 PM »

DeSantis/Kemp/Abbott all did very well despite being pretty conservative. It was clear that wasn’t the issue in this election but rather the Trump factor and the terrible candidates we nominated were
Fargobison

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 06:23:13 PM »

I think it has less to do with DeSantis rising and more to do with Trump fading. I'm not sure Trump is capable of stopping the bleeding.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 06:32:24 PM »

He's not gonna be Prez
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 06:36:17 PM »

Just wait until he starts debating Trump.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 07:49:36 PM »

The title of this thread could turn out to be correct, but this is what we thought about Trump when he said “Mexico sends their rapists”.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 08:24:35 PM »

LOL, comparing Ron DeSantis to Giuliani, Thompson, Pawlenty or Scott Walker is beyond pale from you.

DeSantis won't turn into another Scott Walker I'll promise you that.

What really made your argument persuasive is that you included a lot of warrants/reasons for why your argument is true, and did not just smugly assert something.  Way to go.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2022, 08:31:02 PM »

DeSantis/Kemp/Abbott all did very well despite being pretty conservative. It was clear that wasn’t the issue in this election but rather the Trump factor and the terrible candidates we nominated were

This argument doesn't hold since trumpy candidates also performed well and establishment candidates performed poorly and lost. Blaming trump because you want to move on from trump doesn't make your argument correct
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 08:33:01 PM »

Obviously Desantis isn't someone like Walker, but since 08, a large number of front-runners have imploded. Whether it was Paul, Bush, Cruz, Rubio, Giulani, etc. The only exception is Romney and that had more to do with Perry's poor performance.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 08:58:57 PM »

\

Yeah like this is what I mean. Congressional hearings because Apple might remove Twitter from the app store? Dude, talk about things that people care about.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2022, 09:13:12 PM »

This argument doesn't hold since trumpy candidates also performed well and establishment candidates performed poorly and lost. Blaming trump because you want to move on from trump doesn't make your argument correct

Uh the most prominent Republican candidates who were Trumpy this cycle were : Doug Mastriano , Kari Lake , Blake Masters , Dr Oz , Joe Kent , Hershel Walker and guess what the 5 of them lost and the 6th will likely lose as well . While you could cite JD Vance the fact is he underperformed 2020 GOP numbers in a year when the republicans won the popular vote nationally so he was basically saved by the state’s partisan lean .

It’s clear DeSantis is the way the party should go , just like in 1979 it was clear the party needed to choose Reagan and while you may not like Reagan he was undeniably was the most successful conservative president in the modern era and DeSantis has that potential as well . We already tried it with Trump and guess what he failed .

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2022, 09:26:26 PM »

Uh the most prominent Republican candidates who were Trumpy this cycle were : Doug Mastriano , Kari Lake , Blake Masters , Dr Oz , Joe Kent , Hershel Walker and guess what the 5 of them lost and the 6th will likely lose as well . While you could cite JD Vance the fact is he underperformed 2020 GOP numbers in a year when the republicans won the popular vote nationally so he was basically saved by the state’s partisan lean .

It’s clear DeSantis is the way the party should go , just like in 1979 it was clear the party needed to choose Reagan and while you may not like Reagan he was undeniably was the most successful conservative president in the modern era and DeSantis has that potential as well . We already tried it with Trump and guess what he failed .

You guys are better off running Youngkin if you want to truly distance yourselves from Trumpism. DeSantis is much closer to Trump than he is to Youngkin.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2022, 09:45:30 PM »

You guys are better off running Youngkin if you want to truly distance yourselves from Trumpism. DeSantis is much closer to Trump than he is to Youngkin.

Youngkin and DeSantis aren’t that different imo and he is my number 2 candidate for 2024 as well . It’s just that he hasn’t been governor long enough yet imo which is why I give DeSantis the edge .

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies