Ron Desantis might be peaking too early (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:26:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ron Desantis might be peaking too early (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Desantis might be peaking too early  (Read 1977 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« on: November 29, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »

I think the difference between Scott Walker and Ron DeSantis is that DeSantis actually did all this trolly stuff that the base loves.

DeSantis can get up on stage and talk about "banning the woke agenda from our schools" and "sending illegal immigrants to blue states" or "stopping Dr. Fauci from telling us how to live our lives" and people will cheer and applaud.

Meanwhile Walker was known for making life miserable for unions and rejecting Obamacare funds, neither of which are issues that resonate with the base.  They resonate with the billionaire donor class and writers for The Federalist which is how he got so much hype.  And then nobody cared once he actually got on stage.

This is why I think that a lot of the hype around DeSantis as some god-tier general election candidate is very odd. Most of his major 'accomplishments' are just culture war nonsense that only appeals to the GOP base. Normal people and swing voters don't care about that stuff. I'm not convinced why DeSantis whining about Disney being too woke is any less embarrassing than most of the stuff Trump does.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 08:58:57 PM »

\

Yeah like this is what I mean. Congressional hearings because Apple might remove Twitter from the app store? Dude, talk about things that people care about.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 09:26:26 PM »

I think the difference between Scott Walker and Ron DeSantis is that DeSantis actually did all this trolly stuff that the base loves.

DeSantis can get up on stage and talk about "banning the woke agenda from our schools" and "sending illegal immigrants to blue states" or "stopping Dr. Fauci from telling us how to live our lives" and people will cheer and applaud.

Meanwhile Walker was known for making life miserable for unions and rejecting Obamacare funds, neither of which are issues that resonate with the base.  They resonate with the billionaire donor class and writers for The Federalist which is how he got so much hype.  And then nobody cared once he actually got on stage.

This is why I think that a lot of the hype around DeSantis as some god-tier general election candidate is very odd. Most of his major 'accomplishments' are just culture war nonsense that only appeals to the GOP base. Normal people and swing voters don't care about that stuff. I'm not convinced why DeSantis whining about Disney being too woke is any less embarrassing than most of the stuff Trump does.

DeSantis/Kemp/Abbott all did very well despite being pretty conservative. It was clear that wasn’t the issue in this election but rather the Trump factor and the terrible candidates we nominated were

This argument doesn't hold since trumpy candidates also performed well and establishment candidates performed poorly and lost. Blaming trump because you want to move on from trump doesn't make your argument correct

Uh the most prominent Republican candidates who were Trumpy this cycle were : Doug Mastriano , Kari Lake , Blake Masters , Dr Oz , Joe Kent , Hershel Walker and guess what the 5 of them lost and the 6th will likely lose as well . While you could cite JD Vance the fact is he underperformed 2020 GOP numbers in a year when the republicans won the popular vote nationally so he was basically saved by the state’s partisan lean .

It’s clear DeSantis is the way the party should go , just like in 1979 it was clear the party needed to choose Reagan and while you may not like Reagan he was undeniably was the most successful conservative president in the modern era and DeSantis has that potential as well . We already tried it with Trump and guess what he failed .

You guys are better off running Youngkin if you want to truly distance yourselves from Trumpism. DeSantis is much closer to Trump than he is to Youngkin.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 11:46:38 PM »

DeSantis/Kemp/Abbott all did very well despite being pretty conservative. It was clear that wasn’t the issue in this election but rather the Trump factor and the terrible candidates we nominated were

This argument doesn't hold since trumpy candidates also performed well and establishment candidates performed poorly and lost. Blaming trump because you want to move on from trump doesn't make your argument correct

Uh the most prominent Republican candidates who were Trumpy this cycle were : Doug Mastriano , Kari Lake , Blake Masters , Dr Oz , Joe Kent , Hershel Walker and guess what the 5 of them lost and the 6th will likely lose as well . While you could cite JD Vance the fact is he underperformed 2020 GOP numbers in a year when the republicans won the popular vote nationally so he was basically saved by the state’s partisan lean .

It’s clear DeSantis is the way the party should go , just like in 1979 it was clear the party needed to choose Reagan and while you may not like Reagan he was undeniably was the most successful conservative president in the modern era and DeSantis has that potential as well . We already tried it with Trump and guess what he failed .

You guys are better off running Youngkin if you want to truly distance yourselves from Trumpism. DeSantis is much closer to Trump than he is to Youngkin.

Youngkin and DeSantis aren’t that different imo and he is my number 2 candidate for 2024 as well . It’s just that he hasn’t been governor long enough yet imo which is why I give DeSantis the edge .

Politics is more about vibes than anything else, and IMO Youngkin would have a far easier time convincing swing voters that his extremist policies are actually moderate. Youngkin is a mild-mannered guy in a sweater, DeSantis is a bombastic, nasally-voiced bully who sounds like he's trying to do an impression of Trump.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 12:35:56 PM »

In what world were Oz and Walker "Trumpy"? You keep grouping trump-endorsed candidates like the GOP establishment didn't back a majority of the candidates that lost this cycle. Trump endorsements =/= Trumpy candidates. Furthermore, what's also ignored is the fact that incumbents overwhelmingly won in 2022 across the aisle, regardless of what wing of any party they represented. That is conveniently ignored by the moderate wing of the GOP that wants to discard Trump. "Underperformed 2020". It's midterms. Candidates will underperform every year that isn't a presidential year. I never once expected a red wave. You guys did because the media told you. Maybe instead of blaming every "trumpy" candidate we should reassess everything so we don't make a foolish error. This same line of criticism of trump is the same reasoning people used in 2012 to conclude immigration was the reason Romney lost. It clearly wasn't.

As for Desantis, look man, I get it: You like Reagan. He's your guy. Desantis is NOT Reagan. Reagan in 76 and 80 wasn't even your kind of Republican. The dude backed returning to the gold standard which you always criticize me and Ron Paul for (I don't even support returning to the gold standard). The current conditions don't reflect that. Desantis is apart of the America First movement. Comparing him to Reagan or saying we need to go in that direction makes zero sense because you never liked Trump. It makes no sense. Replacing Trump with Trump jr does nothing for the party and it's more likely you and the others who want to replace him want to revert back to the pre-16 Trump GOP. You can say we tried with Trump, but we have tried your model for the GOP and we lost in 08 and 16. We also got Bush in 88, Bush in 00, and Bush in 04, and as a result, created the conditions for Trump and did nothing to improve our standing with an increasingly more diverse country both ethnically and philosophically. Desantis has no answer to this on a national level. Romney had no answer to this on a national level and if we keep painting this as the "Trump bad...Desantis/Youngkin good", you'll just end up being disliked by the rest of the GOP.

I'd also like to point out that Desantis is closer to Lake and Masters ideologically than he is the people you traditionally like. Who else were we supposed to nominate? A John Mccain clone in Arizona that pisses every conservative off? Yeah, totally the Reagan/Desantis model.

Lastly, I don't even know why this has to be stated but Reagan might have won in 80 and 84 and those were successful years for the GOP, but Trump had a larger impact on the GOP than Reagan and it's glaringly obvious at this point.

You must have a very pessimistic view of the GOP’s chances in 2024 if you seem to dislike all of the possible successors to Trump.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies