Biden looks to Congress to force deal on railroad workers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:18:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden looks to Congress to force deal on railroad workers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden looks to Congress to force deal on railroad workers  (Read 3100 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: November 30, 2022, 01:08:22 AM »

Seems like even the GOP is moving away from the Reagan/Thatcher consensus  on unions

TR SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 11:06:53 PM »

The Democrats are not a labor party anymore. They are an upscale liberal party.

We have gone back to the days of bourbon democracy, so enjoy the lip service and occasional trinkets they throw your way and don't be surprised if they also expect you to be grateful for it also.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 11:08:29 PM »

Worst move of Biden’s presidency by far.

Yes, definitely Biden's fault that only 6 Republicans in the senate and 3 Republicans in the House could be bothered to vote to give workers 7 days of sick leave. Definitely Bidens fault!

This is the GOP's fault. Full stop.

Biden is the one who rammed through a railroad agreement while betraying workers. So yes it is his fault.

To prevent a cataclysmic strike that would've been horrific for this country. I'm all for workers rights, but unfortunately something had to give here. The alternative would've been disastrous. Do not get high and mighty here.

Again, maybe if the Republicans could've offered more than 3 house votes and 6 senate votes to a 7-day sick day leave agreement - which is not in any way shape or form asking for a lot - all of this *COULD* have been averted! So who is really to blame right now? The party who tried to do something, or the party who actively worked against the workers and made sure they did not get what they wanted? Give me a break.

It’s not a binary choice either. Biden could have nationalized the railroads like Wilson did temporarily AFAIK and accepted their contract.

My God the horror!!!

What would the banking and tech execs think? They might get scared and think they are next or something and not dole out their precious blood money.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 11:12:10 PM »

We have gone back to the days of bourbon democracy, so enjoy the lip service and occasional trinkets they throw your way and don't be surprised if they also expect you to be grateful for it also.

So why do you identify as a Republican then

I am neither upscale, nor liberal. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 12:55:09 AM »

So why do you identify as a Republican then

I am neither upscale, nor liberal. Tongue
The Democratic party is the heir to Burke and the Whigs in all but name, with a distaste for radicalism and inherent orthodoxy to procedure. You are too upscale for the Republicans y’know.

The Democratic Party is the heirs of Alton B. Parker and Bill Clinton.

You shouldn't confuse me for some grifting Never Trumper who has the temerity to call themselves a Lincolnite Republican without even knowing who Carey or List are, and adhering to the neoliberal consensus that would (if he were alive today) have regarded Lincoln as a back country idiot for his economic views, and not mention advancing the very foreign policy adventurism that Lincoln rejected when promoted by Seward and rejected when achieved by Polk.

I am not some limp wristed Rockefeller fan boy who despises the GOP because of it being composed by the wrong sort of people, and parrots the party flip theory for reasons for self validation for their social circle while dumping all of America's wrongs on their tribal opponents. "Your one of them, ain't ya". Yes, I am, in most any context you can think of "one of them", and yet not at the same time.

Yes, I disdain mass politics, but I also loath the establishment in this country that has not only sold themselves and our country out to special interests and foreign powers, but convinced themselves it was the best thing for the country in doing so.

Yes I disdain establishment corruption and self serving style, but I also loathe the angry swinish multitude for blinding allowing themselves to be used for the advancement of the latest round of con artists, swindlers and snake oil salesmen only to realize they were used and start the same process over again (the 1990s Republican Revolution, The Tea Party, and now the Trumpist movement are all good examples of this). I especially loathe the penchant for mob rule and disregard for the law.

I really don't care much as much about "decency and behaviors", though I do prefer people who have their lives put together or at least try to do so and don't cater to the societal promotion of the opposite. I do care about laws and processes simply because unchecked authority in anyone's hands is dangerous.

I am an establishmentarian without an establishment worthy of defending. I am a revolutionary without a people wanting of liberation. I am introspection brought to life and I do not feel ashamed. I am a living paradox and you wouldn't want me any other way.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 01:03:49 AM »

Ok I dont get why do many people are mad, the workers will still get a 24% pay raise which is huge. Congress made the right decision here

Do you know what it is like to be on one of those damn trains?

They run their people ragged, all in the name of optimal efficiency. In part, because we as a country screw the railroads over on taxation, meanwhile subsidize their grossly inefficient competitors with endless amounts of government spending. 

Trains are the most efficient way to haul freight around, because of scale and because of rolling resistance.

There is no way these establishment neoliberals who work in nice offices and wonder "they are getting 24% increase, why don't they shut up and be happy", could ever know what it is like to be run mentally ragged, or deal with the PTSD if God forbid they hit someone.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies