An autumn for dictators? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:58:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  An autumn for dictators? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An autumn for dictators?  (Read 675 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: November 26, 2022, 06:55:37 PM »

It seems just a few years ago, we were talking about a democratic recession and the rise of authoritarianism. But Trump and Bolsonaro lost relection, Russia is losing its war, China's zero covid policy is turning into an ever greater disaster, and protests are rocking Iran. Hell even Imran Khan is out of power. Ive noticed tankies on twitter seem miserable and bitter even more than before. Seems like a bad time to be a populist authoritarian or would be authoritarian.

Is there a renaissance of liberal democratic politics going on?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 08:39:58 AM »

Lula did everything in his power to run one of the worst campaigns in the history of democracy to a loser, ballot f•••ery notwithstanding. It’s nice for the planet’s lungs but not very bright of a future in a few years.

Protests have been rocking Iran since before this regime even began.

The current ruling regime in Pakistan is a lot worse than Khan

Tankies are usually working people experiencing downscale mobility, so that’s a bad sense of the economy.

I won’t even respond to the rest of this nonsense, to think I thought it would be good to hail you before. Terrible, terrible thread.

I am not making a value judgement. In my view, no matter how much I disagree with them, tankies provide a valuable counter narrative to the fact that the MSM has defense contractor money directly and indirectly influencing it, and the overly hawkish tilt that comes out of that. I am just observing patterns.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies