I just got the word...it will be John Edwards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:17:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  I just got the word...it will be John Edwards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: I just got the word...it will be John Edwards  (Read 6647 times)
MarkDel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:09:00 PM »

As some of you know, I used to work on Capitol Hill and still have many close friends there on both sides of the aisle. I just got off the phone with a friend who works for a Democratic Senator, and he told me that he got the word today that John Kerry will name John Edwards as his VP candidate...he said to take it to the bank, it's a done deal and will be announced very soon.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 09:11:34 PM »

If your kidding with me, I'm traveling 1200 miles and I'll kill you.

Give me a %age that your sources are correct
MarkDel

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:14:21 PM »

If your kidding with me, I'm traveling 1200 miles and I'll kill you.

Give me a %age that your sources are correct

Boss Tweed,

I can't say 100% because I was not directly involved in the conversation that he had with a member of the Kerry campaign staff, but I would say this is about as close to 100% as I can get without being privy to the actual cconversation. This guy is the AA for a prominent US Senator and has never given me bad info before.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 09:16:07 PM »

I always knew it would be Edwards, why is he meeting with Kerry? because he will be the VP.

Unless Gephardt is walking his dog and Vilsack is eating lunch so they don't look suspicious.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 09:18:37 PM »

Dear god I hope so...
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 09:20:51 PM »

just have to spend a little more in NC.  No big deal.
MarkDel

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:22:51 PM »

It certainly is good news for your chances this fall. Edwards, empty suit though he may be, will give new life and enthusiam to Kerry's sagging candidacy.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 09:27:33 PM »

And face Tongue
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 09:28:46 PM »

The downside is I think the polls already reflect Edwards as VP.   I don't see much of a bounce.  An additional downside is Edwards is really a lightweight with little experience, probably will not do well in a debate with Cheney.

The upside is that he is obviously alive, something that can't be said for the rest of the campaign.  ALso, if they keep expectations for him low, he can exceed them and look good.
MarkDel

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 09:35:28 PM »

The downside is I think the polls already reflect Edwards as VP.   I don't see much of a bounce.  An additional downside is Edwards is really a lightweight with little experience, probably will not do well in a debate with Cheney.

The upside is that he is obviously alive, something that can't be said for the rest of the campaign.  ALso, if they keep expectations for him low, he can exceed them and look good.

Tredrick,

I disagree. Yes, Edwards is obviously a total lightweight on substantive issues...he proved that in the Democratic Primary debates, but only the really polished political class will spot that...the average voter will be drawn to his populist rhetoric and his good looks and charisma. And no matter what idiocy comes out of Edwards mouth, the mainstream media will not report it or hammer him for his lack of knowledge. Look how he completely misstated the Defense of Marriage Act in the Democratic debate and failed to even understand how his position was an incorrect statement of his views...the media didn't bust him on it.

When it comes to the un-informed voters...the men will wish they WERE Edwards and the women will wish they were sleeping with him. As much as people like us know he's an amoral, ambulance chasing VERMIN with no grasp of the issues, he will SELL WELL with the American people who don't follow politics too closely.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 09:38:11 PM »

Yeah.  I'd be worried if it was Edwards - Kerry.  it's not however.  There's that matter of having to get past Kerry at the top of the ballot.....
Reds4

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 09:44:06 PM »

Being a Republican, I disagree about the debate statement Tredrick. I would expect Edwards to defeat Cheney in a debate, quite easily. He is a trial lawyer and is more likeable than Cheney to most people.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 09:44:42 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2004, 11:35:18 PM by The Vorlon »

If it is Edwards this is good news for Bush (I thnk?)

The GOP is just gonna beat Kerry/Edwards all over the place with Tort Reform.

The biggest voter mover there is is when folks feel they have been ripped off.

Why are medical and car insurance premiums so high? - A HUGE chunk of it is "let's win the lottery" lawsuits, and EVERYBODY knows some $200 fender bender that turned into a $50K lawsuit.

I can see it now...

(Possible Bush Ad to be aired...)

<<video of couple at table paying bill>>

<<voice over>>

"President Bush has a plan to end abusive lawsuits that drive up your Medical and auto insurance costs....

<<image of $Milllion lawsuit headlines - "McDonalds sued for $2 Million over hot coffee".. etc...>>

But John Kerry opposed this relief that would  save ordinary americans thousands of dollars a year...

<<greyed out image of Kerry in smoke filled backroom>>

<<voice over>>

John Kerry got $?? million in special interest money from Trial Lawyers, and then OPPOSED a Bill which would have stopped the abuse by all of  Kerry's ambulance chasing friends

<<Back to warm fuzzy image of Bush, likely with Kids and workers, with his sleeves rolled up>>

<<voice over>>

Fortunately, George Bush wants your hard earned money to stay with you and has a plan to end this trial lawyer abuse,....

<<evil looking Kerry image>>

while John Kerry wants these $Billions to keep flowing to his ambulance chasing friends...

<<split screen of Warm Fuzzy Bush, vs Evil greyed out Kerry>>

America - It's time to choose...

George W Bush - proven Leadership for the American Future.

MarkDel

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 09:48:49 PM »

Vorlon,

Wow, you and I are usually on the same page, but I totally disagree with you. The Republicans have tried, with little or no success, to use trial lawyers and tort reform as an issue for the past several years..and the issue seems to have no legs. Now you and I both know the societal damage done by PARASITES like Edwards, but for some reason, the tort reform issue just doesn't seem to translate into anti-Democratic Party votes.
millwx

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 10:05:24 PM »

Tredrick,

I disagree. Yes, Edwards is obviously a total lightweight on substantive issues...he proved that in the Democratic Primary debates, but only the really polished political class will spot that...the average voter will be drawn to his populist rhetoric and his good looks and charisma. And no matter what idiocy comes out of Edwards mouth, the mainstream media will not report it or hammer him for his lack of knowledge. Look how he completely misstated the Defense of Marriage Act in the Democratic debate and failed to even understand how his position was an incorrect statement of his views...the media didn't bust him on it.

When it comes to the un-informed voters...the men will wish they WERE Edwards and the women will wish they were sleeping with him. As much as people like us know he's an amoral, ambulance chasing VERMIN with no grasp of the issues, he will SELL WELL with the American people who don't follow politics too closely.
Perfect analysis.  Many on this board continue to confuse the rest of the populace with themselves.  Almost anyone who bothers to post repeatedly on a board such as this is likely far more "in tune" politically than the average American/voter.  I too, though I will support Kerry, don't like John "Ambulance-Chaser" Edwards.  But he's slick and he's worked at least a few cases for "the little guy" that will make him look good.  He'll b.s. his way through the debates with the best of them.  And as for the tort reform argument, most Americans wouldn't know what that meant if they were hit with it by a brick.  It won't fly.  Especially amid some slickster spin that Edwards will throw out if the issue does ever get raised.  The only traction I see against Edwards is his inexperience.  In the post-9/11 era even the typical voter will want someone they're comfortable with if Kerry is "indisposed"... that's the one plus Gephardt had... I don't think Americans will trust Edwards in a crisis (I don't... though it's not enough for me to not vote for Kerry).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 10:07:13 PM »

I'm with Boss.  If you're wrong, I shall e-shoot you (ehhh, OK, I don't want a felony on my record, that's why I wouldn't really shoot you Tongue).
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004, 10:10:27 PM »

Being a trial lawyer does not translate into skill in a head to head debate with time limits.  Edwards has been shown to be mediocre at best, getting by on charm and good looks.

If Cheney looks like a respectable and experienced older gentleman and does not go into complete rabid attack dog on Edwards he can win.

I doubt Cheney will show up with a heavy five o'clock shadow.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 10:14:39 PM »

As some of you know, I used to work on Capitol Hill and still have many close friends there on both sides of the aisle. I just got off the phone with a friend who works for a Democratic Senator, and he told me that he got the word today that John Kerry will name John Edwards as his VP candidate...he said to take it to the bank, it's a done deal and will be announced very soon.

Who is the particular senator?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2004, 10:20:27 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2004, 10:20:42 PM by Gov. NickG »

If it is Edwards this is good news for Bush.

The GOP is just gonna beat Kerry/Edwards all over the place with Tort Reform.

The biggest voter mover there is is when folks feel they have been ripped off.

Why are medical and car insurance premiums so high? - A HUGE chunk of it is "let's win the lottery" lawsuits, and EVERYBODY knows some $200 fender bender that turned into a $50K lawsuit.

I can see it now...

(Possible Bush Ad to be aired...)

<<video of couple at table paying bill>>

<<voice over>>

"President Bush has a plan to end abusive lawsuits that drive up your Medical and auto insurance costs....

<<image of $Milllion lawsuit headlines - "McDonalds sued for $2 Million over hot coffee".. etc...>>

But John Kerry opposed this relief that would  save ordinary americans thousands of dollars a year...

<<greyed out image of Kerry in smoke filled backroom>>

<<voice over>>

John Kerry got $?? million in special interest money from Trial Lawyers, and then OPPOSED a Bill which would have stopped the abuse by all of  Kerry's ambulance chasing friends

<<Back to warm fuzzy image of Bush, likely with Kids and workers, with his sleeves rolled up>>

<<voice over>>

Fortunately, George Bush wants your hard earned money to stay with you and has a plan to end this trial lawyer abuse,....

<<evil looking Kerry image>>

while John Kerry wants these $Billions to keep flowing to his ambulance chasing friends...

<<split screen of Warm Fuzzy Bush, vs Evil greyed out Kerry>>

America - It's time to choose...

George W Bush - proven Leadership for the American Future.

Edwards or not, tort reform simply will not be a major issue in this campaign.  If Bush centers his campaign around attacking a VP nominee rather than defending his own record, he and the American public are in totally different places.

And the "trial lawyer" charge has never stuck against Edwards because all his individual clients were so sympathetic and meritorious.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2004, 10:37:00 PM »

Has anyone yet been able to come up with one case in which Edwards represented someone who did not deserve to be represented?

Instead of just throwing out terms like "ambulance-chaser", "parasite" and such, it would be nice to actually have a specific case in which you feel Edwards's client was in the wrong.

I think Kerry could just as easily come up with an ad, Vorlon, that would show Edwards defending someone who was wronged by a corporation. Lawsuits can sometimes go too far, it's true, but people get ripped off just as much if not more by corporations; that's why we need lawsuits, as a check against unrestricted corporate power.

You are right that people hate getting ripped off, but corporations rip off as many people if not more than lawyers do. If anything, blame the juries, not the lawyers. Clients deserve represenatation if they feel they have a legitimate case, and it's not the lawyer's role to decide whether or not the case is just; that's up to judges and juries to decide.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2004, 10:46:02 PM by Vice President Supersoulty »

Yes.  I could think of a better pick... for Bush.

New Jersey just became very available.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2004, 11:01:55 PM »

Edwards biggest positive, and potential biggest negative, is that people know so little about him.  6 years does not create a huge voting record to be used against him, or for him.  He can be shaped into whatever the Kerry campaign needs.  

The downside to that is that the Bush campaign can likewise shape people's opinions of him.  

Most of the common people will learn about him from commercials.  A sad part of modern politics.
M

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2004, 11:10:33 PM »

I do think Edwards is the smart choice for Kerry. Although he does have downsides clearly. We'll see how tis turnouts.

But still. Edwards will be absolutely creamed by Rudy in the veep debate.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2004, 11:12:47 PM »

The reason the trial lawyer attack has never stuck is because we have never stuck to the attack in a national election.  You have to say it over and over to make an attack stick.

One other thing.  Florida just gave a solid defeat to Bill McBride, a trial lawyer, in the 2002 governor's race.  Edwards will have to campaign against the sullied image of lawyers in Florida if Kerry is to win there.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 11:13:53 PM »

yeah.  If Bush ran with Condi, Powell. or even Rudi, this election would be over.  However, Bush seems determined to stay with Chenney and risk a nail biter.  Seems stupid as hell to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies