58% of COVID-19 deaths in August were vaccinated people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 03:40:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  58% of COVID-19 deaths in August were vaccinated people
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 58% of COVID-19 deaths in August were vaccinated people  (Read 1044 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2022, 10:54:20 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/health/vaccinated-americans-a-majority-of-covid-deaths-for-first-time-in-august-analysis

For the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, a majority of Americans dying from the coronavirus were at least partially vaccinated, according to a new analysis of federal and state data.

“We can no longer say this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated," said Kaiser Family Foundation vice president Cynthia Cox, who conducted the analysis on behalf of the Post.

79% of Americans have received at least one vaccine, so vaccinated people are still less likely to die, but not as much as initially.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 10:58:43 PM »

I was gonna point out base rate fallacy but you actually talked about that, good on you.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 11:03:21 PM »

I am glad I got my omicron booster.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 11:06:38 PM »

Worth noting the article doesn't give numbers for fully vaccinated given they've been saying from day one that a single dose isn't enough
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 11:59:39 PM »

Because most people are vaccinated
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 12:22:35 AM »

Worth noting the article doesn't give numbers for fully vaccinated given they've been saying from day one that a single dose isn't enough

This. People who had ONLY one shot are only "vaccinated" by dictionary definition, but not practically speaking.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 12:26:55 AM »

I've had 4 shots lol
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 05:37:29 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2022, 01:19:45 PM by Pericles »

The unvaccinated have natural immunity too now, a lot more of them just died in the process. And the elderly are disproportionately both vaccinated and vulnerable to Covid. Fortunately so few people are dying compared to last year so that makes it a complicated comparison.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 05:59:06 AM »

The unvaccinated have natural immunity too now, a lot more of them just died in the process. And the elderly are disproportionately hoth vaccinated and vulnerable to Covid. Fortunately so few people are dying compared to last year so that makes it a complicated comparison.

While it is true that the unvaccinted have greater immunity now, it is also true that getting Covid twice or multiple times can be quite dangerous.

The CDC says that people who recover from COVID-19 retain antibodies that offer some protection against reinfection. But the consequences of repeat infections may lead to unexpected health troubles down the road.

A preliminary study from Washington University in St. Louis looked at the health records of more than 5.4 million Veterans Administration patients. The researchers found that those who had COVID-19 more than once had double the odds of having or dying from a heart attack compared with those who’d had COVID-19 just once. Lung, kidney, and gastrointestinal health risks were also greater among the reinfected.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/coronavirus/what-if-you-get-covid-19-more-than-once/
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 07:27:54 AM »

This is not over. I'm not saying we need to do total lockdowns like China, but what's so wrong about mask mandates indoors, at least?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 07:30:10 AM »

This is not over. I'm not saying we need to do total lockdowns like China, but what's so wrong about mask mandates indoors, at least?

Ewww no.

Masks are DIRTY and make me want to throw up.

One of my biggest regrets was being tolerant of MASKS for so long.

You really think that peoples noses sticking out was helping?

People would reuse their MASKS for months... creating a germ cesspool.

No thank you.

Better to breath.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 07:33:29 AM »

because science suggests they don't do much good unless everyone wears good masks and wears them properly, but that would be crazy expensive and, well, impossible to get everyone to wear them and wear them properly.  Sure, we could call the cops on all of them, but then that just brings cops and poor people together and every time you do that, there is a chance of tragedy.  It's much easier/cheaper on society to just let the scaredy cats stay home and bitch about everyone else online.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 07:54:10 AM »

We have the vaccine and booster shots now we got to let life get back to normal
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 08:00:23 AM »

We have the vaccine and booster shots now we got to let life get back to normal

This country doesn't value human life at all. To be fair, this isn't exactly news - just look at Sandy Hook and Uvalde.

But in the beginning of the pandemic, when it was disproportionately seniors who were dying of COVID, we were expected to wear masks, stay home, and socially distance to stop hospitals from being overwhelmed. And we did so - at least, most people I know did. Now hospitals are overwhelmed with kids, and nobody can be bothered to even put a damn piece of cloth over their face.

I get that people are tired of COVID, but it's not tired of us.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 08:15:56 AM »

I don’t think masks should be mandated anymore but if a private business requires them that’s okay.

It’s a personal decision now. I haven’t been masking for a while, even though I held out longer than most. And I did get Covid in July, so that’s most likely my own fault. You reap what you sow. But I am fully vaccinated, and my booster was like 7 months prior to getting covid for the first time, so that should be an indication of some kind of protection. (And I got my omicron booster in October.)

That said, I do think covid is still something to take seriously and be mindful of (especially around elderly) and a lot of people just don’t feel the same way.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 02:29:17 PM »

You don't want to get long covid. Get your boosters!
pantsaregood
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 03:53:31 PM »

Ewww no.

Masks are DIRTY and make me want to throw up.

One of my biggest regrets was being tolerant of MASKS for so long.

You really think that peoples noses sticking out was helping?

People would reuse their MASKS for months... creating a germ cesspool.

No thank you.

Better to breath.

Your aversion to masks is absolutely absurd. They're obviously not one hundred percent effective, but no one ever claimed they were. I'd honestly prefer if people would continue wearing masks around fresh produce in grocery stores indefinitely.

Also, it is entirely possible to breathe in a mask. If I can breathe in a mask while exercising at 5300 feet above sea level, then clearly "can't breathe" isn't a general concern.

EDIT: The comment about masks in grocery stores has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with people sneezing on fresh food.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 09:57:07 PM »

I don't think anybody here has criticized those opposed to masks and vaccines here more than me. So, since I like to think of myself as a truth-teller, it needs to be even handed.

When it comes to the boosters, especially the bivalent, people, as much as they can, really do need to 'do their own research.'

1.I've been telling people lately, "don't worry, I don't have Covid, I've just been coughing all the time since I got the booster."  The reaction to the vaccine can be extremely severe.

2.I think people need to think about getting the Covid and flu vaccine at the same time. I asked the pharmacist "Are you sure there are no interactions?" and I was not told "it's safe to take them together." I was told "there is no evidence that it is not safe to take them together."  That really isn't the same thing.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2022, 10:35:05 PM »

I had pretty bad reactions to both boosters. I'd still urge everyone to get them. Long covid sounds horrific.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 11:53:58 PM »

I had pretty bad reactions to both boosters. I'd still urge everyone to get them. Long covid sounds horrific.

I've never heard of it, but based on this cough (two weeks and counting) I think I have Long Covid Vaccine.

Seriously, I'll take the original 'generic' vaccine which I'm pretty sure still offers some protection, but there is no way I'll take another bivalent booster. (This booster has only been available recently, I don't think your first bad reaction could have been to the bivalent.)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 12:48:06 AM »

Coughing is not a side effect of the vaccine or boosters. You may have gotten a cold or something at the same time.

And yes my 2nd booster was bivalent but the reaction was not as bad as the first booster.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »

Coughing is not a side effect of the vaccine or boosters. You may have gotten a cold or something at the same time.

And yes my 2nd booster was bivalent but the reaction was not as bad as the first booster.

Hrm, why would it not be though? Allergic reactions often involve coughing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2022, 10:31:59 AM »

I don't think anybody here has criticized those opposed to masks and vaccines here more than me. So, since I like to think of myself as a truth-teller, it needs to be even handed.

When it comes to the boosters, especially the bivalent, people, as much as they can, really do need to 'do their own research.'

1.I've been telling people lately, "don't worry, I don't have Covid, I've just been coughing all the time since I got the booster."  The reaction to the vaccine can be extremely severe.

2.I think people need to think about getting the Covid and flu vaccine at the same time. I asked the pharmacist "Are you sure there are no interactions?" and I was not told "it's safe to take them together." I was told "there is no evidence that it is not safe to take them together."  That really isn't the same thing.

Both my partner and I had both at the same time with no ill effects.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 11:32:07 AM »

Long Covid generally seems a very underrated dissease at the moment. Especially since there's not nearly enough research. I think we'll have a much clearer picture 3-4 years down the road.

Side effects after the booster are extremely common. Actually I don't know a single person that didn't feel somewhat unwell the 1-2 days after.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2022, 12:28:10 PM »

Hrm, why would it not be though? Allergic reactions often involve coughing.

If an allergen gets in your throat or lungs sure. But these are shots. Your immune system doesn't make you cough, the virus does.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies