California post-election analysis thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:28:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California post-election analysis thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California post-election analysis thread  (Read 6850 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« on: December 10, 2022, 07:21:07 PM »

Stanislaus city-level results and swings:

Ceres in particular surprised me.

Wow no wonder Democrats lost the congressional race there. Really awful results for Democrats in Stanislaus County which doesn't surprise me given my anecdotal experiences there, but it demographically is surprising given general trends of tech worker exodus from the Bay Area. Maybe those who are moving to the Central Valley represent more anti-establishment voters?

Then again Newsom is just a terrible fit for the Central Valley and Southern California overall so it may just be him.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 08:46:45 PM »

Wow no wonder Democrats lost the congressional race there. Really awful results for Democrats in Stanislaus County which doesn't surprise me given my anecdotal experiences there, but it demographically is surprising given general trends of tech worker exodus from the Bay Area. Maybe those who are moving to the Central Valley represent more anti-establishment voters?

Then again Newsom is just a terrible fit for the Central Valley and Southern California overall so it may just be him.

It was my perception that tech workers are moving more into San Joaquin County than Stanislaus. Josh Harder did well in San Joaquin, and that may be a reason, but Stanislaus was quite bad for Dems this cycle.

How far from the Bay would tech workers actually live? If you're living in Tracy, you're already pushing the daily commute limit and it's still a lot for the occasional commute. Someone living in Modesto would have to be near remote, in which case they might want to live somewhere more amenable than Modesto.

Obviously this is only my personal perspective - but all the people I know from Modesto are Bay Area commuters or formerly commuters (now work remotely full or part-time). However these are all conservatives who sought out Modesto to get away from the Bay Area while still having amenities such as good schools, access to medical care, etc.

I agree that Tracy and maybe Manteca are the outer limits of daily commuters - but parts of Stanislaus County like Salida are definitely drawing commuters. Obviously not enough at this point to overpower the other trends that are occurring.

https://www.protocol.com/silicon-valley-tech-shuttles

All that being said - every metro area has its exurbs that tend to be quite strongly GOP relative to the core city. The Bay Area is one of the few places that doesn't really see this trend in any direction except in Oakley, parts of San Joaquin County, and I would argue Stanislaus County as well. It just surprises me that this area is trending so strongly towards the GOP relative to other exurban areas in CA like Placer County or the Inland Empire.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 02:37:23 PM »

Tbh the whole concept of moving out all the way to the Central Valley just to commute to the Bay Area for white-collar tech work strikes me as absurd given how prevalent remote work is for that industry nowadays. I know housing is prohibitively expensive in California but still...

Many great points and clarifications from kwabbit and Aurelius.

It just so happens that my bubble in the Central Valley is only supercommuters. I know that my boyfriend's parents did the supercommute simply because Modesto was the closest place they could afford a single family home with high quality schools (Tracy and other San Joaquin cities I guess don't have that reputation). That being said none of these people supercommute anymore - they either have jobs based in the Modesto area or work remotely. And as mentioned by others these are non-college educated workers who don't fit the "tech worker" stereotype although many worker in tech-related jobs, and therefore much more right-leaning than the rest of the region.

All of this being said - I have no idea who is paying 600k+ to buy homes in San Joaquin and Stanislaus County. I just assumed these newcomers must have tech jobs or are selling real estate in the Bay Area to find more space.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 03:27:18 PM »

State Senate Republicans want to block Melissa Hurtado from being seated despite every county in her district certifying totals. She won by 20 votes. Republicans are making erroneous claims of uncounted votes.

What is the state GOP stance on Greg Wallis's win in AD-47? Truly bizarre that they would criticize elections in GOP run counties especially...
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 01:54:53 PM »

Thanks for posting those maps.

I wonder if the rise of the SoCal democrats portends good news for Katie Porter - when's the last time both Senators were Southern Californians?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies