San Francisco fires director of elections for being a white man (UPDATE: no longer happening)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:00:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  San Francisco fires director of elections for being a white man (UPDATE: no longer happening)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: San Francisco fires director of elections for being a white man (UPDATE: no longer happening)  (Read 1966 times)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2022, 01:25:52 AM »
« edited: December 15, 2022, 05:12:59 PM by Aurelius »

https://missionlocal.org/2022/11/elections-director-john-arntzs-contract-not-renewed-by-elections-commission/

The key part:

Elections Commissioner Cynthia Dai, who voted to not renew Arntz’s contract, said there was no performance-based reason for the commission’s decision. She did not dispute that San Francisco has run free, fair and functional elections for 20 years. Rather, she says, it was time to open up this position to a more diverse field; the city, she said, could not make progress on its racial equity goals without opening up its top positions.

“Our decision wasn’t about your performance, but after twenty years we wanted to take action on the City’s racial equity plan and give people an opportunity to compete for a leadership position,” reads an email sent from commission president Chris Jerdonek to Arntz. “We also wanted to allow enough time for a fair and equitable process and conduct as broad a search as possible.”
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 01:54:39 AM »

I was listening to him on NPR recently. Sad.

The good news is that opening up this single position and making Lowell High School a race-based lottery will completely solve all racism in the city of San Francisco.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 05:30:55 AM »

Wouldn't opening up more positions be the more sensible option here? Oh wait, it's San Francisco we're talking about
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 05:45:41 AM »

Literal, explicit racism.  This should be unconstitutional.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 06:28:06 AM »

Not fired, just not renewed after TWENTY years. Did we read the same blurb?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 06:43:06 AM »

For no other reason than his race.

Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. Slam-dunk lawsuit.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 07:12:59 AM »

well, ya know, on the bright side, at least she didn't lie about it.  She just came right out and said it was because he didn't cross off enough "victim" boxes on the checklist.  If only he had been in an accident that left him in a wheelchair, maybe then he could have kept his job.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 07:39:04 AM »

You can't sue over a limited term contract not being renewed, because there is never a guarantee that fixed term contracts must be renewed. And you all want to jump to race, but diversity could also mean gender.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 07:41:28 AM »

San Francisco, ladies and gentlemen.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 09:02:34 AM »

You can't sue over a limited term contract not being renewed, because there is never a guarantee that fixed term contracts must be renewed.
Wrong. Failure to renew a contract is an "adverse employment action" under Title VII. Can't fire a guy because he's black, can't "decline to renew a fixed-term contract" because he's black either.

And you all want to jump to race, but diversity could also mean gender.
It is also illegal to fire someone on the basis of his or her gender. Really simple stuff!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 10:10:13 AM »

You can't sue over a limited term contract not being renewed, because there is never a guarantee that fixed term contracts must be renewed.
Wrong. Failure to renew a contract is an "adverse employment action" under Title VII. Can't fire a guy because he's black, can't "decline to renew a fixed-term contract" because he's black either.

It is also illegal to fire someone on the basis of his or her gender. Really simple stuff!

Again, he wasn't fired, his contract just wasn't renewed. In order to fired he would have had to been released from the contract early.

Stop being woke. I'm only trying to hold you to the standards conservatives have created.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »

Again, he wasn't fired, his contract just wasn't renewed. In order to fired he would have had to been released from the contract early.

Stop being woke. I'm only trying to hold you to the standards conservatives have created.

Can read what he said about title 7 or is that too woke for you
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 10:15:38 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2022, 10:22:21 AM by DrScholl »

Can read what he said about title 7 or is that too woke for you

I'm just saying that he wasn't fired and that there is huge hypocrisy here. Racism doesn't exist to you unless it involves a white man.

And I would like to add that the commission voted to hire a search firm to find a new election director. They didn't just hire some random non-white person off the street.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 10:19:06 AM »

This type of behavior can arguably be blamed for a majority of the left's electoral failings over the past 6 years or so.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 10:56:11 AM »

Horseshoe theory. Far left is racist and sexist like the far right, just in their own unique stupid way.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2022, 11:00:14 AM »

Conservatives are the worst people in America, lmao, why would you want to legitimize their horrible standards?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2022, 12:22:46 PM »

I'm just saying that he wasn't fired and that there is huge hypocrisy here. Racism doesn't exist to you unless it involves a white man.

To what hypocrisy do you refer?

And I would like to add that the commission voted to hire a search firm to find a new election director. They didn't just hire some random non-white person off the street.

Nobody said they did that, so this is not a relevant comment.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 12:27:15 PM »

And Democrats want to know why they can't appeal well with white men despite Fetterman and Biden, etc.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 12:34:30 PM »

What a dumpster fire of a city. I'm glad to be out of there now. Too bad my own city is hardly any better off.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 12:38:03 PM »

The hypocrisy is that you pretend that racism doesn't exist when it involves minorities, but then flip the script and are pro-civil rights when it fits your narrative. The new elections director might end up being white for all you know, but diversity means many things. They could hire a white person who has experience working in more diverse municipalities, but your mind just goes to the city hiring some unqualified affirmative action hire.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 12:40:14 PM »

That's not the huge distinction you think it is, especially here.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 12:44:46 PM »

The hypocrisy is that you pretend that racism doesn't exist when it involves minorities, but then flip the script and are pro-civil rights when it fits your narrative. The new elections director might end up being white for all you know, but diversity means many things. They could hire a white person who has experience working in more diverse municipalities, but your mind just goes to the city hiring some unqualified affirmative action hire.

As someone who very much does not ignore racism when it involves minorities, this is patently racist. I don't see how anyone could possibly defend this.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2022, 12:51:09 PM »

This is troubling information. If possible, could you point out the people in this thread who pretend that racism doesn’t exist when it involves minorities? And could you perhaps direct us to evidence of this? Surely you must have some; after all, no one would make such a broad claim about others’ moral character unless it was supported by some clear facts.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »

This is troubling information. If possible, could you point out the people in this thread who pretend that racism doesn’t exist when it involves minorities? And could you perhaps direct us to evidence of this? Surely you must have some; after all, no one would make such a broad claim about others’ moral character unless it was supported by some clear facts.

Just look at any of the threads complaining about wokeness and CRT and you will see some of the same people or similar types.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2022, 01:03:00 PM »

San Francisco is full of woke rich liberals who crow on and on and about racial inequality, but god forbid someone builds affordable housing near their houses.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies