Describe a straight white male police officer who still votes Democratic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:42:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Describe a straight white male police officer who still votes Democratic
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a straight white male police officer who still votes Democratic  (Read 1007 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2022, 03:09:41 PM »

In this day and age especially.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 09:28:56 PM »

I would imagine it's a rarity.

But I would guess someone in their early-to-mid 20s who joined "the force" straight out of college, with a BA in something like sociology, psychology, or--gods forbid--criminal justice (*e-giggles*) from a traditional brick-and-mortar school.  And will probably only be a beat cop for several years, before leaving LE entirely to do something completely different, like going into academia or grad school. 

Ironically, these are probably the best coppers you would want interacting with the general American public, especially in the ghettos around the blacks.  I have zero experience working with American civilian police, but the closest parallel to what you're thinking of is, say, German Polizei.  They can crack skulls as a last resort if need be, but otherwise overall pleasant, friendly, and diplomatic public servants.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 11:12:53 PM »

Jake Peralta.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 12:07:56 AM »

But I would guess someone in their early-to-mid 20s who joined "the force" straight out of college, with a BA in something like sociology, psychology, or--gods forbid--criminal justice (*e-giggles*) from a traditional brick-and-mortar school.  And will probably only be a beat cop for several years, before leaving LE entirely to do something completely different, like going into academia or grad school. 

Ironically, these are probably the best coppers you would want interacting with the general American public, especially in the ghettos around the blacks.  I have zero experience working with American civilian police, but the closest parallel to what you're thinking of is, say, German Polizei.  They can crack skulls as a last resort if need be, but otherwise overall pleasant, friendly, and diplomatic public servants.

Nowadays, yes. Back in the 1990s-2000s, yes, there was still white male cops who still voted Democratic; hell a lot of them are still registered Democrats but too lazy to change to unaffiliated or Republican....

But I am sure white Boston cops still vote Democratic, or else Stephen Lynch and others would have lost.

The job has become more hyperpolarized than Darryl Gates and Rudy Giuliani did to it.

You need white cops like this guy in the video below, to fix relations in the black community....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIany51XuuI&t=102s
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 12:30:11 AM »

So when I was coming back from Chicago for Riot Fest, my bus had a stop in Madison, WI. There was a disruption on the bus then (basically bus driver asked a guy to stop talking on the phone on speaker, the guy got snippy with him and refused), so the bus driver ordered him off the bus, the guy threw a fit...and so Greyhound contacted the police. The two who showed up were actually pretty reasonable even to that guy (telling him he wasn't even in legal trouble and that they were just verifying if this was an actual corporate policy in which case he would be booted but could still go on a later bus if the driver approved), and they were a man and a woman...anyway the woman was a Latina who had a rainbow flag pin under badge.

Now yes she clearly doesn't qualify being a lesbian Latina but her partner was a white male and if straight still seemed to get along with her fine, plus it's Madison...so he seems like a pretty good candidate. This probably isn't all that rare at all in fact in places like Madison, Ann Arbor and some ski towns in Colorado which are both hyper-liberal but also lack the sort of high crime and racial resentment in most major cities, since most of their job is responding to stuff like that and handling DUIs.

Also willing to bet that reserve/auxiliary and part-time cops are more Democratic in general.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 01:30:14 AM »

I believe Tony Vlachos (if you are a Survivor fan you know his name) is a Democrat. Jacked, kinda manic dude from New Jersey who looks like Vin Diesel.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 02:26:29 AM »

I assume there are plenty of cops in the Northeast that still vote this way
mpbond
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 01:36:58 PM »

The police union in my city will occasionally endorse democrats, especially on the local level. I imagine that those endorsements still pull a lot of votes
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 06:24:37 PM »

I assume there are plenty of cops in the Northeast that still vote this way

Ironically yes. Even some of the white NYPD ones, who still live in the city, because of how dominant the NYC Democratic Party is (even on SI)

Boston, Jersey City, Wilmington, etc.

It probably boggles the mind to a lot of people, but they still vote Democratic. If every cop voted GOP in the Northeast like some of them do on Long Island and suburban Connecticut, the Northeast would probably lean more Republican.....
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 11:11:50 PM »

I believe Tony Vlachos (if you are a Survivor fan you know his name) is a Democrat. Jacked, kinda manic dude from New Jersey who looks like Vin Diesel.

I've never heard anything about Tony's political views, one way or the other.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 05:18:28 PM »

But I would guess someone in their early-to-mid 20s who joined "the force" straight out of college, with a BA in something like sociology, psychology, or--gods forbid--criminal justice (*e-giggles*) from a traditional brick-and-mortar school.  And will probably only be a beat cop for several years, before leaving LE entirely to do something completely different, like going into academia or grad school.  

Ironically, these are probably the best coppers you would want interacting with the general American public, especially in the ghettos around the blacks.  I have zero experience working with American civilian police, but the closest parallel to what you're thinking of is, say, German Polizei.  They can crack skulls as a last resort if need be, but otherwise overall pleasant, friendly, and diplomatic public servants.

I don't know why, but this stuck out to me
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 08:07:29 PM »

But I would guess someone in their early-to-mid 20s who joined "the force" straight out of college, with a BA in something like sociology, psychology, or--gods forbid--criminal justice (*e-giggles*) from a traditional brick-and-mortar school.  And will probably only be a beat cop for several years, before leaving LE entirely to do something completely different, like going into academia or grad school.  

Ironically, these are probably the best coppers you would want interacting with the general American public, especially in the ghettos around the blacks.  I have zero experience working with American civilian police, but the closest parallel to what you're thinking of is, say, German Polizei.  They can crack skulls as a last resort if need be, but otherwise overall pleasant, friendly, and diplomatic public servants.

I don't know why, but this stuck out to me

I would have been excellent in the ghettos.

If I chose to pursue a career in civilian LE (which I had absolutely ZERO desire to).  
kwabbit

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 09:41:50 PM »

My landlord was a straight White male police officer who was a registered Democrat. I don't know how he voted, but that's how he was registered. This was in suburban NJ in a 60-40 Dem community.

I doubt there's too many of these people in most of the country, but in the Northeast and the Bay Area I imagine a good amount of police officers would be Democrats just by virtue of how liberal the cultures of the regions are.

Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 10:14:26 PM »

I'd guess that many detectives and higher-ranking officers have advanced (or at least bachelor's) degrees and vote to some extent like other white collar professionals. Also some who come from particularly strong union households.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 08:53:28 PM »

My landlord was a straight White male police officer who was a registered Democrat. I don't know how he voted, but that's how he was registered. This was in suburban NJ in a 60-40 Dem community.

I doubt there's too many of these people in most of the country, but in the Northeast and the Bay Area I imagine a good amount of police officers would be Democrats just by virtue of how liberal the cultures of the regions are.

But the irony is that the Republicans have the back of the NYPD, SFPD, JCPD, etc. The Democratic politicians in those cities are not usually friends of the police, so the fact that they still support and vote for them is ironic....especially police that are living in the cities, even the Black and Latino ones...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies