How did Trump do so well in NH in 2016 considering NH consisntely rejects MAGA at federal level?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:07:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  How did Trump do so well in NH in 2016 considering NH consisntely rejects MAGA at federal level?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Trump do so well in NH in 2016 considering NH consisntely rejects MAGA at federal level?  (Read 2372 times)
Cyrusman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2022, 01:41:18 PM »

We saw multiple MAGA Republicans get their ass kicked in NH this year following 2020 when Biden beat Trump badly there. Republicans can very much win NH, but not a Republican like or associated with Trump. Having said all of that, how the hell did Trump do so well there in 2016 and nearly won the state?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »

The same reason he won Michigan and Pennsylvania despite those two states rejecting MAGA candidates in 2020 and 2022 - Hillary Clinton was a very weak candidate.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 01:43:36 PM »

Hillary Clinton
Spectator
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »

LOL was literally gonna post this. Trump won my vote that year for that reason alone.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »

He didn't do well there in 2016. He got 46% of the vote.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 02:02:07 PM »

I don't know what it was about her but white longtime Democrats just detested Hillary Clinton. I mean, there's undeniably some appeal that Trump had to these voters as well, but MN being D+1.5 and ME being D+3 were both beyond embarrassing as well, especially when both subsequently decisively returned to the Democratic column. I mean, she got 56% of the vote in Vermont, for crying out loud. That is a candidate specific issue. I'm reminded of a friend of mine who was living in Kalamazoo during the time telling me that his perception of the election there was more or less "I mean, I'll vote for her to keep Trump out, but I do believe she's assassinated people at least once or twice."
Cyrusman
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 02:27:48 PM »

The same reason he won Michigan and Pennsylvania despite those two states rejecting MAGA candidates in 2020 and 2022 - Hillary Clinton was a very weak candidate.

I don't think its the same. Trump had a special appeal to the rust belt region of the country and actually  did well on those 2 states even though he lost in 2020.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 06:50:30 PM »

Everyone's saying Hillary so I'll say something different: Trump had an appeal in the state (and in other New England states) in 2016 that he just wouldn't have afterwards.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 10:39:53 AM »

Pretty much this, and the high share of 3rd party candidates. Trump didn't even get 47% of the vote in NH. A better D-candidate like Obama or Biden could have won 54-46%, with Trump's vote share staying stagnant.

That's also the reason he come close in MN, where Trump received 44.9% of the vote. It was just close because HRC only ended up with ~46%. A more popular Dem would have cleared 50%, increasing the margin by more than 3 times.

Generally speaking, people need to remember that Trump just won 46.1% of the NPV, which is barely more than McCain's 45.7% in 2008 and less than Romney '12, who got 47.2%.
Cyrusman
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 06:08:47 PM »

Everyone's saying Hillary so I'll say something different: Trump had an appeal in the state (and in other New England states) in 2016 that he just wouldn't have afterwards.

What appeal did he have in New England in 2016 that would quickly fade?
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 08:59:01 PM »

As he had only been a candidate at this point and never held office, he was still seen as a moderate on policy, even if his persona wasn't.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 07:16:22 PM »

The same reasons he did well in MN despite performing worse than Romney and Dubya
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 11:22:32 PM »

As he had only been a candidate at this point and never held office, he was still seen as a moderate on policy, even if his persona wasn't.

And, I think his brash style and persona was probably less jarring in the Northeast than other parts of the country because it's more culturally/stereotypically common there.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 12:54:56 AM »

Trump tricked a lot of people (including people who chose to vote third-party instead of for Clinton) into thinking that he wasn't a typical fringe rightwing Republican. Once he was president for a while everyone with a brain realized that wasn't true.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 02:00:41 PM »

Lest we forget, the Northeastern primaries were effectively a two-man race between Trump and Kasich--that Trump won.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies