How would Tom Glavine have done against Sen. Raphael Warnock?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:31:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How would Tom Glavine have done against Sen. Raphael Warnock?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would Tom Glavine have done against Sen. Raphael Warnock?  (Read 533 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2022, 10:19:13 AM »

If Georgia Republicans wanted to find the perfect athlete, they could have found former Atlanta Braves pitcher Tom Glavine to run....he's not stupid, could actually speak in complete sentences and lived in Georgia longer than Herschel Walker....who moved from TX to run.

Glavine is a staunch rightwinger through and through....how would he have done against Warnock?

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:58 AM »

Fine I guess, wouldn't have been significantly different than how Walker did maybe like half a percent better. Federal Elections are not the same as statewide races.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 11:39:24 AM »

Fine I guess, wouldn't have been significantly different than how Walker did maybe like half a percent better. Federal Elections are not the same as statewide races.

Glavine may have won....he can actually speak and could appeal to Atlanta suburbanites. Glavine doesn't have CTE.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »

Wouldn't Smoltz be a better choice than Glavine to Georgians?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 02:02:43 PM »

Wouldn't Smoltz be a better choice than Glavine to Georgians?

Probably, but Smoltz has said homophobic things in the past. Georgia, a Southern state, is changing on gay marriage so he would lose the suburbs.

Glavine would take back the Atlanta suburbs and hold his own in the rural areas.

Glavine would probably win 50-49 or 52-48, he would get black male votes too.
tagimaucia

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 03:34:51 PM »

I have no idea. BTW, I grew up in Atlanta as a Braves fan and Glavine was definitely a democrat/liberal back in the 90s-- I distinctly remember a few passing comments about politics he made in interviews.  But based on his social media follows and fundraisers and stuff, he's clearly been a dyed-in-the-wool right-winger for a long time now.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 03:50:23 PM »

Lol another football player?

All Republicans had to do was nominate some random state house rep and they'd probably have won the race on Election Night.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 04:01:15 PM »

All Republicans had to do was nominate some random state house rep and they'd probably have won the race on Election Night.

Glavine was a baseball player, a Hall of Fame pitcher who spent most of his long career with the Atlanta Braves.  He was part of the "Big 3" pitchers (Glavine, John Smoltz, and Greg Maddux) who terrorized Braves opponents during the late 1990s and early 2000s.  He was (and is) extremely popular here.  I don't know if he'd have actually beaten Warnock, but I'm sure he'd have done better than Herschel Walker.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 04:34:42 PM »

Glavine was a baseball player, a Hall of Fame pitcher who spent most of his long career with the Atlanta Braves.  He was part of the "Big 3" pitchers (Glavine, John Smoltz, and Greg Maddux) who terrorized Braves opponents during the late 1990s and early 2000s.  He was (and is) extremely popular here.  I don't know if he'd have actually beaten Warnock, but I'm sure he'd have done better than Herschel Walker.

*sigh* Smoltz could have been a Tiger legend instead, we traded him in 1987 for Doyle Alexander a 36 year old pitcher while Smoltz was a mid-level prospect in AA ball. Though it isn't as bad as it sounds since Alexander went 9-0 with a 1.50 ERA down the stretch and helped the Tigers make it to the ALCS and was an All-star the next year. Though Smoltz of course was better.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 04:43:06 PM »

I have no idea. BTW, I grew up in Atlanta as a Braves fan and Glavine was definitely a democrat/liberal back in the 90s-- I distinctly remember a few passing comments about politics he made in interviews.  But based on his social media follows and fundraisers and stuff, he's clearly been a dyed-in-the-wool right-winger for a long time now.

Glavine was pro-union, he stood up for labor during the 1994-95 MLB strike. Just like Doug Flutie, former NFL quarterback. Was a staunch Democrat and turned into a Trump supporter...

People change, and Bush/Obama/Trump were more polarizing than Clinton ever was.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 04:50:31 PM »

It sure looks like it. Before the primaries I had thought Arizona was more likely to flip than Georgia, simply because it didn't seem to be trending leftward as quickly. I was wrong.

I also never understood this narrative that Walker can't win a runoff. Sure he can, if Democrats get complacent or demoralized.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies