VA-SEN 2024 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:26:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-SEN 2024 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: VA-SEN 2024 megathread  (Read 4807 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2023, 02:12:38 PM »

Did... did he forget who is the current governor??

The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2023, 07:47:34 PM »

According to ReleasedKraken, Ed Gillespie was supposed to be a sacrificial lamb who was vanilla enough to limit Republican losses downballot. It appeared to have worked, as Republicans managed to keep the house.

This time, there are no legislative elections. It seems like Kiggans's seat is the only real house seat that could plausibly go either way (the Richmond suburbs are trending left too fast so Spanberger is safe).
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2023, 07:49:23 PM »

Likely D.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2023, 07:10:05 PM »

So this is the moderate that's going to win over Biden-Youngkin voters ?

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2023, 09:12:21 PM »

Yeah kind of think Hung Cao is going to be damaged goods by election day. On paper, he's a great R candidate; relatively young, immigrant, veteran, kept a Biden + 18 seat close, ect ect.

However, he hasn't made an effort to create a brand that's effectively differed from the national GOP in a state that has become D-leaning federally. He's basically just a generic R in a good wrapping.
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2023, 09:16:08 PM »

So this is the moderate that's going to win over Biden-Youngkin voters ?

*proceeds to quietly repeal endorsement of Cao*
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2023, 09:48:33 PM »

Yeah kind of think Hung Cao is going to be damaged goods by election day. On paper, he's a great R candidate; relatively young, immigrant, veteran, kept a Biden + 18 seat close, ect ect.

However, he hasn't made an effort to create a brand that's effectively differed from the national GOP in a state that has become D-leaning federally. He's basically just a generic R in a good wrapping.

Yeah his close race was mainly a result of Wexton falling asleep at the wheel and some lingering anger at Loudoun County schools. It likely won’t translate to statewide success against Kaine.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2023, 05:41:40 PM »

Very strong candidate on paper, but also at great risk of DeSantis-ing himself if he keeps hanging out this much with the online right.
Miked0920
Rookie
United States
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2023, 08:23:40 PM »

Cao is a solid candidate but I don't think the race will be a tossup. Virginia still leans Democratic on a Federal Level more so. Id say Kaine wins from anywhere from a 6-12 point margin.
JMT

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2023, 05:21:46 PM »

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2023, 05:26:58 PM »

I don't think the standard here should be whether or not Cao can win, and I agree he isn't going to get a 15 point over performance in Northern Virginia again, he could however do well enough to create an environment that is less toxic for downballot Republicans, which is important because Donald Trump is made in a lab to be toxic to Virginia voters, and anything that takes attention away from him is a win for Virginia Republicans.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2024, 12:52:31 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2024, 12:55:37 AM by MT Treasurer »

Garcia, new to Republican campaigns, launched his bid in January to unseat incumbent U.S. Democratic Senator Tim Kaine. He knew he wouldn’t be successful in defeating Kaine in a swing state unless he shrugged off the Republican primary playbook. Instead, he comes with a pro-unity, pro-working-class message that he hopes will draw moderate Democrats and Republicans to support him in the primary and eventually topple the political giant Kaine has become in Virginia.

It's a strategy that comes as several Republican presidential candidates who have tried to tout unity have exited the race for the White House. Former Vice President Mike Pence sold kindness on the campaign trail after breaking with former President Donald Trump, but he ended his campaign in October. Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., who has previously called himself a biblical leader, ended his presidential bid last month.

https://www.progress-index.com/story/news/politics/elections/2023/12/28/eddie-garcia-tim-kaine-nice-guy-republican-2024/71964087007/

VA GOP is easily the smartest blue state GOP. FTR, I don’t think this race is on the table even in a neutral year, but Cao/Garcia at least make it worth keeping an eye on in case Biden loses badly and down-ballot Ds don’t overperform him across the board like many expect.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2024, 01:04:44 AM »

Garcia, new to Republican campaigns, launched his bid in January to unseat incumbent U.S. Democratic Senator Tim Kaine. He knew he wouldn’t be successful in defeating Kaine in a swing state unless he shrugged off the Republican primary playbook. Instead, he comes with a pro-unity, pro-working-class message that he hopes will draw moderate Democrats and Republicans to support him in the primary and eventually topple the political giant Kaine has become in Virginia.

It's a strategy that comes as several Republican presidential candidates who have tried to tout unity have exited the race for the White House. Former Vice President Mike Pence sold kindness on the campaign trail after breaking with former President Donald Trump, but he ended his campaign in October. Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., who has previously called himself a biblical leader, ended his presidential bid last month.

https://www.progress-index.com/story/news/politics/elections/2023/12/28/eddie-garcia-tim-kaine-nice-guy-republican-2024/71964087007/

VA GOP is easily the smartest blue state GOP. FTR, I don’t think this race is on the table even in a neutral year, but Cao/Garcia at least make it worth keeping an eye on in case Biden loses badly and down-ballot Ds don’t overperform him across the board like many expect.

It is actually incredible how much they've completely turned the page around from the mid 2010s when they were nominating people like Ken Cucinelli and Corey Stewart for statewide office. Anyways, it is definitely not out of reach for the GOP, but the fear of Trump probably weighs more heavily in Virginia than other reach states.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2024, 10:05:42 AM »

It is actually incredible how much they've completely turned the page around from the mid 2010s when they were nominating people like Ken Cucinelli and Corey Stewart for statewide office. Anyways, it is definitely not out of reach for the GOP, but the fear of Trump probably weighs more heavily in Virginia than other reach states.

Did you miss Cao's abhorrent comments about Wexton? He stands literally no chance whatsoever.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2024, 12:26:32 PM »

The VA GOP is the moderate of the southern Republican parties. It is literally the reason the VA GOP holds on fairly well.

But I will say Cao is over rated. Remember, the 2020 numbers in VA-10 were not actually accurate due to vote misallocation to that district.

Also, Wexton is a bit to much for the district.

All I will say is that HYPOTHETICAL Abortion and Marijuana referendums in VA wouldn't do much better, if at all, than Ohio last year. I could see the marijuana vote especially underperforming in Nova and rural VA is more socially right wing than rural Ohio by a mile.

I am not exactly optimistic about the GOP overall in VA though. Sure, Dems did not perform as well as online people hoped, but they did well enough under an unpopular Dem president with a popular GOP governor.

In general.. when I lived there I found the online narrative that Nova is hard left socially and hard right fiscally to be greatly exgerrated to the point of being an untruth. Remember, the VA GOP hits Democrats hard on social policy in Nova.

If a Democrat gets elected in 2025, except right to work to be repealed in 2026 without much fanfare.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2024, 11:21:07 PM »

The VA GOP is the moderate of the southern Republican parties. It is literally the reason the VA GOP holds on fairly well.

But I will say Cao is over rated. Remember, the 2020 numbers in VA-10 were not actually accurate due to vote misallocation to that district.

Also, Wexton is a bit to much for the district.

All I will say is that HYPOTHETICAL Abortion and Marijuana referendums in VA wouldn't do much better, if at all, than Ohio last year. I could see the marijuana vote especially underperforming in Nova and rural VA is more socially right wing than rural Ohio by a mile.

I am not exactly optimistic about the GOP overall in VA though. Sure, Dems did not perform as well as online people hoped, but they did well enough under an unpopular Dem president with a popular GOP governor.

In general.. when I lived there I found the online narrative that Nova is hard left socially and hard right fiscally to be greatly exgerrated to the point of being an untruth. Remember, the VA GOP hits Democrats hard on social policy in Nova.

If a Democrat gets elected in 2025, except right to work to be repealed in 2026 without much fanfare.

With regards to NoVa, I also think people understate how diverse it is and also how urban it is. Obv you have the urban neighborhoods right outside DC, but places like Tysons and Reston are getting pretty built up.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2024, 06:35:46 PM »

Not unexpected, but welcome nonetheless:

Sen. Tim Kaine will seek reelection in 2024, bringing sigh of relief for Democrats

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies