Did Hobbs not debating have any impact on the outcome at all?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:32:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Did Hobbs not debating have any impact on the outcome at all?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Hobbs not debating have any impact on the outcome at all?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Did Hobbs not debating have any impact on the outcome at all?  (Read 875 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2022, 09:07:02 PM »

LOL no.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:35:28 PM »

Given how Kelly and Fontes ended up, yes.  Luckily, it seems she got put over the line.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:37:40 PM »

The eternal debate. I think it would have worked in her favor to debate, but she won so whatever.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 10:39:22 PM »

Given that she dramatically underperformed the other two statewide Democratic candidates that ran against insane Republicans I would say that it and her other mistakes impacted the outcome.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 10:43:01 PM »

Given that she dramatically underperformed the other two statewide Democratic candidates that ran against insane Republicans I would say that it and her other mistakes impacted the outcome.

Or Lake, the candidate more used to being in front of a camera and manipulating the media, could have gotten a lot of momentum off the debate and won.

Then again Oz still lost despite easily winning his debate, so perhaps the real lesson here is simply that debates don't matter?

Also she actually outperformed the Dems running for AG and Superintendent.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 12:05:21 AM »

Or Lake, the candidate more used to being in front of a camera and manipulating the media, could have gotten a lot of momentum off the debate and won.

Then again Oz still lost despite easily winning his debate, so perhaps the real lesson here is simply that debates don't matter?

Debates matter.
Oz lost because he is a Muslim.
He severely underperformed in Trump country.

Lake is a media personality, but her positions and ideas are crazy.
Hobbs doesn't have any charisma and was a weak candidate and was probably hurt by skipping the debate, but this year the voters rejected the candidates with crazy ideas and elected even incompetent people.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 12:38:55 AM »

I would chalk up the closeness of the race to Lake's stronger campaigning skills in general.  The debate is a small part of that.  It gave Lake a line of attack that Hobbs is a coward. 

Mark Kelly did considerably better than Hobbs.  But I'm not sure I would attribute that to the fact he debated and Hobbs didn't.  Kelly was facing a very weak opponent in Blake Masters, a propped-up Peter Thiel flunky who came off as a cross between Richard B. Spencer and Patrick Bateman.  There's a reason Masters drew national ridicule.  Hobbs faced an opponent with actual skills.

I've read Hobbs is a poor debater.  Refusing to participate in the aspects of campaigning you're bad at isn't a great look.  But given her opponent worked in front of the camera for 20 years I can see why she took a pass. 
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 12:51:28 AM »

Debates matter.

Hobbs doesn't have any charisma and was a weak candidate and was probably hurt by skipping the debate, but this year the voters rejected the candidates with crazy ideas and elected even incompetent people.

First part - LOL, no. Oz lost because he was an out-of-touch New Jerseyan and because Pennsylvanians don’t like killing puppies and mocking people for having strokes.
Second part - Demonstrably false. He underperformed Trump, yes, but hardly “severely,” and that’s clear just by looking at the actual margins in each county in 2022-SEN vs 2020-PRES.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 12:55:07 AM »

Nobody watches debates save for supporters of the candidates and they only matter if there are gaffes or stand out moments.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 01:01:15 AM »

Debates matter.

Are you calling rural Pennsylvania bigoted? Most voters probably didn't even know that Oz is a Muslim. Fetterman hammered him on being out of the touch and the crudite video was an easy thing to use against him with small town voters.
AnOdyssey
Rookie

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 01:14:10 AM »

First I would like to say - I'M IN LOVE WITH KATIE HOBBS! I'M IN LOVE WITH KATIE HOBBS!

It would have been close, regardless. If she debated Kari Lake, I think it would have helped Katie as she should would have been smacking around Kari the whole time. I can understand why she chose not to debate her however, since Kari's been going around saying Hobbs should be jailed.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 12:12:02 PM »

I said it another thread, but even the best debater would not have been able to make that debate work against Lake. Lake is absolutely ruthless, and rational does not matter whatsoever to her. If you watch any of her interviews or press conferences, it doesn't matter if you confront her with fact or concrete rational reasoning - she will always twist it into some nonsense and try and flip it on you. Even when Lake is called out and clearly wrong, she tries to manipulate it to not look that way. Hobbs made the right call here.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 02:08:22 PM »

No... I'm not sure the debates even have an impact. Fetterman did poorly in his and still won quite handily. Trump sucked in all 2016 debates and still won.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »

Debates entirely in this year's elections had no effect, exactly as I expected.

Remember how Masters was supposed to gain momentum on Kelly after their debate? Remember how the sheriff's badge didn't actually make Walker look like an imbecile? Remember how Dr. Oz got elected last week solely due to Fetterman's weak debate performance?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 10:09:14 PM »

She very well may have lost if she chose to debate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies