Irish Man sentenced after killing home intruder with a knife. "Excessive Force"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:32:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish Man sentenced after killing home intruder with a knife. "Excessive Force"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Irish Man sentenced after killing home intruder with a knife. "Excessive Force"  (Read 1027 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/26/ireland-dean-kerrie-jailed-over-waterford-home-intruder-killing-17645858/

Dean Kerrie was just 17 when he stabbed Jack Power, 25, in the chest in July 2018.

The intruder smashed a window to get into the house in Waterford, south east Ireland, because he believed Kerrie, now 21, had damaged his car.

Power was stabbed once through the heart and died at the scene.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 06:52:40 PM »

This is framed like it was an unjust verdict. But I'm not familiar with the pecularities of the case (and certainly I haven't attended the trial), so I won't pass judgement simply based on a British tabloid article.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 07:17:24 PM »

This is framed like it was an unjust verdict. But I'm not familiar with the pecularities of the case (and certainly I haven't attended the trial), so I won't pass judgement simply based on a British tabloid article.

Pretty easy to find alternative source such as the national broadcaster.
https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/1026/1331473-dean-kerrie-court/

All that talk about how "extremely hard-working" the dead intruder was and how he was a "role model to his younger brothers" and the pain of his family is rather nauseating. Seems pretty clear that the higher social status (from a family of wealthy fishermen) of the attacker played a big role.

"Mr Justice McDermott said the damage done to the family was horrendous beyond words. Mr Power had been an exceptionally hard working young man, fuelled by his love for the sea and his father's encouragement."

yuck..
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 09:51:08 PM »

...the convicted man had used excessive and disproportionate violence by using a knife on someone who was unarmed.

Do these MFs expect people to square off in fair fights against angry and potentially larger intruders (whose own possession of a weapon is not fully established)? The articles goes on to describe how the intruder began attacking Kerrie's mother. Throwing a brick into someone's window and assaulting a family over (potential) car damage is the definition of trash. Send this judge to prison.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 10:15:42 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2022, 11:07:42 PM by lfromnj »

...the convicted man had used excessive and disproportionate violence by using a knife on someone who was unarmed.

Do these MFs expect people to square off in fair fights against angry and potentially larger intruders (whose own possession of a weapon is not fully established)? The articles goes on to describe how the intruder began attacking Kerrie's mother. Throwing a brick into someone's window and assaulting a family over (potential) car damage is the definition of trash. Send this judge to prison.
FWIW a jury did convict the guy. I can't fully tell either but overall it does just seem like trashy Europe Self defense laws.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 11:30:23 PM »

What do you expect from an island that was ruled by a foreign power for 800 years because they refused to use “excessive force” against their colonizers?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 06:41:18 AM »

The judge's comments do appear somewhat unwise, but I am wary of these cases more generally - it is not wrong that the *possibility* of excessive force is legally there. Tony Martin, anyone?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 05:47:02 AM »

The Tony Martin case did have particular aspects to it that don't on a cursory examination appear to apply here - specifically that Martin lay in wait, and that he fired the fatal shot as the victim was running away, so there was a strong case for pre-meditation and for whom not having felt under immediate personal threat.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 09:09:12 AM »

The peculiarities don't matter. Convicting someone for defending themselves in their own home is injustice by definition.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 10:29:52 AM »

The peculiarities don't matter. Convicting someone for defending themselves in their own home is injustice by definition.

Well, that's where not everybody else agrees.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 01:43:34 PM »

I mean it depends. If you've incapacitated someone and tied them up while waiting for the police to arrive, at that point cutting their throat would be an execution.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, or that it's even the most likely scenario, but there are extenuating circumstances that matter.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 02:08:13 PM »

I mean it depends. If you've incapacitated someone and tied them up while waiting for the police to arrive, at that point cutting their throat would be an execution.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, or that it's even the most likely scenario, but there are extenuating circumstances that matter.
If you're cutting the throat of someone's who's tied down, you're not defending yourself. There's a reason I used this phrasing.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 03:35:52 PM »

If you're cutting the throat of someone's who's tied down, you're not defending yourself. There's a reason I used this phrasing.
Well then you’re just stating a tautology. Obviously if you’re lawfully acting in self defense, it would be unjust to convict you of murder. But the jury here necessarily had to have found that the defendant was not in fact acting in self defense.

I don’t know the ins and outs of Irish law, but even here in the U.S. the “Castle doctrine” only creates a rebuttable presumption that a person is justified in using deadly force against an intruder in their home. The jury can still find that the killing was unwarranted. The peculiarities matter very much.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 03:37:10 PM »

Joke country.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »

Well then you’re just stating a tautology. Obviously if you’re lawfully acting in self defense, it would be unjust to convict you of murder. But the jury here necessarily had to have found that the defendant was not in fact acting in self defense.

I don’t know the ins and outs of Irish law, but even here in the U.S. the “Castle doctrine” only creates a rebuttable presumption that a person is justified in using deadly force against an intruder in their home. The jury can still find that the killing was unwarranted. The peculiarities matter very much.
The very fact that the conviction was for using excessive force implies that Kerrie was acting in self defense, it's just that the ridiculous Irish law punished him for not using the appropriate amount of force - as if that should be one's priority under these conditions. In effect people are being denied the right to be safe in their own homes in order to protect instead criminals who should be fully responsible for any injury that result from their crimes - including to themselves.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 12:56:40 AM »

from the second linked article
Mr Justice Paul McDermott said he had to accept the jury's verdict that Kerrie had acted in self-defence, although he said the convicted man had used excessive and disproportionate violence by using a knife on someone who was unarmed.
the jury acknowledged it was self defense, just that the smaller, younger child used "too much weapon" in protecting himself from getting the sh**t kicked out of him and possible murdered.  Irish self defense laws are garbage.

the most progressive judge/jury in the most progressive court in the most progressive county in the most progressive state in the US would not find this child guilty of anything.

more from the above link
The judge said Mr Power was behaving in a very violent and threatening way. He assaulted Kerrie and the court was told he had also assaulted Kerrie's mother.

Kerrie said he grabbed a kitchen knife, which he said was in a bedroom, to defend himself and his mother, although the judge said he did not accept he had been told the full truth about where the knife came from.

Mr Justice McDermott said he did accept Kerrie, who was younger and of slight build, had made decisions under a degree of pressure in a very short time frame in the context of the unexpected attack on his house by Mr Power, who was a tall, well built young man.

He said he also had to take into account that Kerrie was only 17 years old at the time and that his regret and remorse were genuine. He said this was evident from the immediate aftermath of the stabbing. Kerrie called gardaí who came to the house and found him sobbing in the kitchen.
so a violent asshole violently broke into someone's home in the middle of the night, attacked a child and his mother and now the child is going to prison because of the closest weapon to him was a knife and the laws in Ireland are a funking joke.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 02:08:38 PM »

You say this as if it couldn’t have happened in the UK too, where people have literally had cops interrogate them over tweets.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2022, 05:49:14 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2022, 10:45:20 AM by Meclazine »

An Irishman, an Englishman and a Scotsman  break into a teenagers room and the power gets switched off. The teenager is fit and has a knife.

What happens next?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 02:42:46 PM »

A media's report of an individual case with an unusual decision is by definition wrong or at least substantially wrong 90% of the time. Take this with a boulder of salt.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2022, 07:04:05 PM »

What do you expect from an island that was ruled by a foreign power for 800 years because they refused to use “excessive force” against their colonizers?
Bro wtf.
Epaminondas

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 05:11:01 AM »

the jury acknowledged it was self defense, just that the smaller, younger child used "too much weapon" in protecting himself from getting the sh**t kicked out of him and possible murdered.  Irish self defense laws are garbage.

If the US self-defence laws and its spates of gun killings are "superior" to Irish law, we want none of it.

Unlike the US, we actually have a functional law system. The police would have tracked down the unarmed intruder and slapped him with a commensurate sentence, just enough to wreck the next years of his life.

Instead, there's a dead man now, and devastation in 2 families. Only in jungle libertarianism would think this is preferable to just repelling the unarmed intruder and calling the cops.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 05:24:30 AM »

If the US self-defence laws and its spates of gun killings are "superior" to Irish law, we want none of it.

Unlike the US, we actually have a functional law system. The police would have tracked down the unarmed intruder and slapped him with a commensurate sentence, just enough to wreck the next years of his life.

Instead, there's a dead man now, and devastation in 2 families. Only in jungle libertarianism would think this is preferable to just repelling the unarmed intruder and calling the cops.
awww, of all the posts to get testy about, you chose mine.  I feel special.

but you're 100% correct.  If Ireland wants to live with laws that put a child in prison for defending himself and his family in his own home, they should be able to.  The rest of us can applaud or mock you depending on how we see it.  Most of us will chose to mock you.  I'm sure a big tough guy like you can take it.
Epaminondas

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 07:51:41 AM »

the jury acknowledged it was self defense, just that the smaller, younger child used "too much weapon" in protecting himself from getting the sh**t kicked out of him and possible murdered.  Irish self defense laws are garbage.

awww, of all the posts to get testy about, you chose mine.  I feel special.

but you're 100% correct.  If Ireland wants to live with laws that put a child in prison for defending himself and his family in his own home, they should be able to.  The rest of us can applaud or mock you depending on how we see it.  Most of us will chose to mock you.  I'm sure a big tough guy like you can take it.
Guess it's easier to mock reasonable Irish laws than to look into the mirror about the true risks of "home invasion".

What's ironic is that you don't even need to have lived in Ireland to know which country is safer to reside in.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2022, 08:10:45 AM »

Well........its a take, I suppose.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »

awww, of all the posts to get testy about, you chose mine.  I feel special.

but you're 100% correct.  If Ireland wants to live with laws that put a child in prison for defending himself and his family in his own home, they should be able to.  The rest of us can applaud or mock you depending on how we see it.  Most of us will chose to mock you.  I'm sure a big tough guy like you can take it.
Guess it's easier to mock reasonable Irish laws than to look into the mirror about the true risks of "home invasion".

What's ironic is that you don't even need to have lived in Ireland to know which country is safer to reside in.
no one is mocking a reasonable law here
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies