California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:25:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64558 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« on: November 14, 2022, 07:29:45 AM »

Am I the only one here who expects Feinstein to run?

Yes.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 09:38:17 PM »

So we're sexist for not wanting to put Katie Porter in higher office? Even though the alternate for most of us is Barbara Lee? WTF Alben.

Personally I'm a believer in the idea that privileged people (like the rich or members of congress) should never behave that way towards someone less fortunate, particularly if the latter apologizes profusely. An exception would be if it is literally Goldman Sachs and everyone involved is rich.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 06:50:07 PM »

I honestly don't see much logic behind backing Barbara Lee over Porter...they are not that different ideologically and they both are gonna vote same 99.9% of the time. Porter is just lot more younger

Lee isn't an asshole
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 08:06:35 PM »

I still have a feeling it’s going to be Porter regardless of who else jumps in. California is significantly more progressive than the rest of the country and voted for Bernie in the 2020 primaries. The Black vote doesn’t seem to be as monolithic there as it is elsewhere either so I don’t think Barbara Lee would be an automatic shoe-in like some moderate Dems seem to think.

CA isn't uniquely progressive. It abolished affirmative action (good) and kept capital punishment (bad)
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 04:17:42 AM »

Schiff and Lee are my top choices. Porter is far back.

IMO NorCal always wins for some reason, and with Porter and Schiff split the southern California vote we could get Lee/Porter or Lee/Schiff. On the other hand, Porter might split the progressive vote with Lee while Schiff consolidates the establishment. It probably evens out to each of them having the same chance at making the runoff.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 07:52:09 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why Adam Schiff, turning 64 y.o. in 2024, is going to run for the Senate after he's served 24 years in the House. Does he plan to only serve two terms in the Senate if he wins? Three terms, max?

I genuinely thought he was in his late 40s, he looks pretty good for his age.

He has a vegan diet and is an avid bicyclist.

Atherton Tossup->Safe Schiff
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 10:52:23 PM »

California politics has become downright feudal in the past decade. Newsom and Schiff’s only appeal is that they’re next in line to the throne.

The Dem candidate process for this is like arranged marriages in Game of Thrones except the goal is to satisfy as many constituent groups as possible. Schiff is from Southern California but grew up in the North, is Jewish, etc.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 06:39:54 AM »

With that list of guests IMO it's quite obvious that Carol Moseley Braun will be launching a primary challenge to Dick Durbin in 2026.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 12:12:43 AM »

I hope Adam Schiff wins! Getting that Russian-Hoax lying Adam out of the House will be a blessing for Republicans, Democrats, Independents, liberals, conservatives and the entire country.

Schiff can't do much damage in the Senate!

Get him out of the House where he represents less than a million people in a chamber of over 400 and into the much weaker role of representing 40 million people including two of the largest media markets in the country in a chamber where each member has enormous power.

Excellent thinking.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 02:42:24 AM »

It gets worse:

Warrenites, man.
Democrats of the Elizabeth Warren school of thought are the worst. Not only are they pretending to be progressives, they are TERRIBLY politically and come off as extremely unappealing to average voters.

Who is an average voter?
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 04:57:32 AM »

I won't lie that Porter's comments regarding Netanyahu were extremely tone-deaf; albeit I'm going to wait to see how she responds before I consider dropping my endorsement. It's a big fluke, especially considering how much research she claimed to do beforehand, but not realizing that Netanyahu is a toxic sludge monster as far as politicians go for Progressives and 'democracy lovers' anywhere in the world.
She focused on domestic issues, so it's possible she had the views that make most of America 'Pro-Israel'- that Israel is the most liberal country/democracy in the middle east, and they don't stone gay people, which makes them good.

It's dumb to any of us who have spent time studying the issue, but the average voter doesn't do that.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 01:04:10 AM »

In case it wasn't clear before, and I do realize this isn't necessarily a new development but Lee's unequivocally got my support and I've gotta assume whatever progressive grassroots support Porter had is going to be tenuous at best going forward.

Absolutely surreal that "progressive grassroots" would suddenly dump a solid progressive advocate who's been one of the most effective voices in taking the billionaire class to task just because of inane litmus tests on Muh Conflict. If that happens, all lefties will have proved is how myopic and self-sabotaging they really are.

Eh, this is one of the biggest issues of the moment, so yes, among this field I would say that the Progressive base in particular are looking for policies that differentiate the candidates. Did I say anything about Porter being primaried, ostracized or in any way even having her influence reduced, especially in areas of finance and banking in which she's been extremely effective? No. But the "progressive grassroots" has every right to not support her bid for Senate, she isn't owed their support certainly, so I'm a bit lost as to the reason for your post.

Yes, BUT WHY IS IT ONE OF THE BIGGEST ISSUES?

There are a myriad of ongoing genocides, none of which the average progressive could name or even remotely care about. Except for Israel.

What this really boils down to- for progressives at least- is the following:

Do you want an effective fighter for leftist causes, or a geriatric activist who hates Jewish people but otherwise has the same views.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies