California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:45:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 67392 times)
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: March 06, 2024, 09:59:03 AM »

Schiff and Garvey are basically tied right now. Who ends up winning more votes in the end? Of course Safe Schiff but if Garvey wins a plurality in the primary the Fox News talking points are going to be insufferable.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1451 on: March 06, 2024, 09:59:53 AM »

Very sad state of affairs for the CA GOP when a "good night" for them is just advancing to the general election.

Yup, though this is the first senate election for a GOP candidate to advance to the senate election in November since adoption of the jungle primary after 2012.

2022 was D vs R.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1452 on: March 06, 2024, 10:02:35 AM »

Very sad state of affairs for the CA GOP when a "good night" for them is just advancing to the general election.

Yup, though this is the first senate election for a GOP candidate to advance to the senate election in November since adoption of the jungle primary after 2012.

...But they did in 2022. Just two years ago.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1453 on: March 06, 2024, 10:13:43 AM »

I really don't understand the vitriol towards Schiff. I preferred Porter, but I have no doubt that Schiff will vote virtually the same way on every single major bill that she would have. All of the 3 major Democratic candidates would've made great Senators.
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #1454 on: March 06, 2024, 10:17:15 AM »

I really don't understand the vitriol towards Schiff. I preferred Porter, but I have no doubt that Schiff will vote virtually the same way on every single major bill that she would have. All of the 3 major Democratic candidates would've made great Senators.

If they had to pick a cringe resist lib, it should've been Ted Lieu. As least he brings some diversity...I'm sorry but white men should not be Senators from California.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1455 on: March 06, 2024, 10:22:52 AM »

If they had to pick a cringe resist lib, it should've been Ted Lieu. As least he brings some diversity... I'm sorry but white men should not be Senators from California.

For someone who seems to hate progressives and their self-destructive tendencies, you seem to like some of the worst aspects of the movement quite a bit.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1456 on: March 06, 2024, 10:23:20 AM »

If they had to pick a cringe resist lib, it should've been Ted Lieu. As least he brings some diversity...I'm sorry but white men should not be Senators from California.

Well, no lol. But every Schiff ad I got was "HI I'm Adam Schiff, and Trump hates me." Which is a fine strategy in a primary in a Democratic state. But I just, you know, care about actual things. Real things.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1457 on: March 06, 2024, 10:38:05 AM »

I'm sorry but white men should not be Senators from California.

More than 65% of Californians disagree.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1458 on: March 06, 2024, 10:55:04 AM »

She’s actually the worst.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1459 on: March 06, 2024, 10:58:11 AM »

Wow I would've probably voted for Porter but after that cringe speech I'm glad she lost.

Also if you're not happy with the result blame her for running a lousy campaign. She wasted a strong early showing almost guaranteed to take second place.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1460 on: March 06, 2024, 11:28:36 AM »

Most of the election-day votes (the most R-skewing) have been counted, so I imagine there may be oscillation, but no more severe red mirage from here on out (also depends if other counties are counting the same way LA has)

freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #1461 on: March 06, 2024, 12:02:08 PM »

If they had to pick a cringe resist lib, it should've been Ted Lieu. As least he brings some diversity... I'm sorry but white men should not be Senators from California.

For someone who seems to hate progressives and their self-destructive tendencies, you seem to like some of the worst aspects of the movement quite a bit.

Not really, I just want the establishment to look like America.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1462 on: March 06, 2024, 12:34:57 PM »

A really sad ending to Barbara Lee's political career. She seemed to have no strategy beyond jumping in and hoping a vacancy would pop up and assumed she would get it by acting entitled to the position. It created an messy and disorganized campaign, and when the vacancy did pop up, her entitled insane troll logic position that Newsom must appoint her because it would be disrespectful to black women to let the primary play out democratically because Huh posed zero chance of convincing Newsom, but did generate her a lot of free negative press by making her sound delusional and actively hostile to elections as a concept. It was also bizarrely disrespectful to Laphonza Butler, a normal, uncontroversial Democrat and woman of color, for no reason, which is not a good look. She never seemed to have a Plan B for when her plan to humiliate herself in exchange for nothing didn't amount to anything, and all her presence in the race did was split the progressive vote and guarantee the more moderate candidate the Senate seat for the next 30 years. Embarrassing stuff, especially from someone whose career presented plenty to admire up until this past year
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1463 on: March 06, 2024, 12:50:10 PM »

This is why I will never agree to humor the current left-wing dogma that Jews are generic white people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1464 on: March 06, 2024, 01:10:38 PM »

A really sad ending to Barbara Lee's political career. She seemed to have no strategy beyond jumping in and hoping a vacancy would pop up and assumed she would get it by acting entitled to the position. It created an messy and disorganized campaign, and when the vacancy did pop up, her entitled insane troll logic position that Newsom must appoint her because it would be disrespectful to black women to let the primary play out democratically because Huh posed zero chance of convincing Newsom, but did generate her a lot of free negative press by making her sound delusional and actively hostile to elections as a concept. It was also bizarrely disrespectful to Laphonza Butler, a normal, uncontroversial Democrat and woman of color, for no reason, which is not a good look. She never seemed to have a Plan B for when her plan to humiliate herself in exchange for nothing didn't amount to anything, and all her presence in the race did was split the progressive vote and guarantee the more moderate candidate the Senate seat for the next 30 years. Embarrassing stuff, especially from someone whose career presented plenty to admire up until this past year
I think her thought process was she was probably going to retire anyway because she's old but figured one last campaign would be fun and if she won hey that's great, but yeah it was pretty selfish and her argument that Newsom was being disrespectful to black women by...appointing a black woman to the Senate seat was pure cringe.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1465 on: March 06, 2024, 01:22:18 PM »

I think her thought process was she was probably going to retire anyway because she's old but figured one last campaign would be fun and if she won hey that's great, but yeah it was pretty selfish and her argument that Newsom was being disrespectful to black women by...appointing a black woman to the Senate seat was pure cringe.

She absolutely had a strong resume to be a good candidate, and I really wanted to vote for her, but yes, her campaign had no real message. No (good) reason for running. Even Schiff's campaign had a message, even though it wad a lame one. I felt good about my choice to vote for Porter in the end.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1466 on: March 06, 2024, 01:29:20 PM »

Serious question: What was the supposed special appeal of Porter or her qualifications? I'm seeing stuff like this:

She just seems like a very standard Democrat. And I probably would've voted for her because she was ideologically closest to me of all the candidates running, but I haven't seen anything justifying the initial hype over her candidacy or these type of sour grapes takes.

Like yeah Schiff was the most conservative Democrat running and it's fine to be unhappy because of that, but he's objectively more qualified than Porter, impeachment manager + Chair of the House Intelligence Committee + over 20 years of House experience vs. 5 years of House experience as a backbencher...? Again there's pretty valid criticisms of Schiff but the Porter stanning fandom is a bit puzzling. (Although maybe that's why she crashed and burned.)
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1467 on: March 06, 2024, 01:41:57 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1468 on: March 06, 2024, 01:47:31 PM »

LOL
Haven't laughed that hard all morning.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1469 on: March 06, 2024, 01:55:53 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1470 on: March 06, 2024, 02:04:25 PM »

I'm glad this race was early in the cycle bc the discourse was kind of becoming unbearable. Is there evidence really that Schiff is so much more conservative? He just seems like a normie Dem at this point. I probably would've voted for Porter (though have no issues with Schiff; Lee was just too out there with her policies), but Porter really did run a terrible campaign.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1471 on: March 06, 2024, 02:27:59 PM »

F**king hell. A once in a generation opportunity to advance progressive power in the Senate and we blew it. And congrats California Republicans for blowing your shot at stopping Schiff too. You might have actually decided the race if Porter had made it through, but oh well.

In a way I'm glad the margin is so large, though. Won't have me agonizing over what-ifs.

This is about where I’m at. For the sake of party unity, I’m glad it’s looking to be a blowout. Schiff isn’t bad, I just thought CA could do better.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1472 on: March 06, 2024, 03:17:18 PM »

California once again slow in counting? Seems like not even 50% are in. Honestly, this is kind of sad for a first world country and its biggest state.

Whild I didn't expect Porter to advance to November, she performed worse than I thought.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1473 on: March 06, 2024, 03:39:47 PM »

I think if Garvey plays his cards right there may be an opening for him to win the special election. Schiff is guaranteed the 6 year Senate seat, but the 1-2 month one I think Garvey has a very small window of oppurtunity for. He is doing 5 points better in the special election, and is likely more popular than Schiff in the state politics aside. If he can succesfully make the case, enough people might be fine with a symbolic R Senator for 2 months before Schiff takes over for the rest of 6 years. It's a meaningless race though but it's not like Garvey has anything better to do.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #1474 on: March 06, 2024, 03:43:14 PM »

California once again slow in counting? Seems like not even 50% are in. Honestly, this is kind of sad for a first world country and its biggest state.

Whild I didn't expect Porter to advance to November, she performed worse than I thought.

We have a very inclusive voting system that allows peoples votes to be counted securely. I think that is more important than getting instantaneous results for the media.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies