California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:21:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64423 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: June 18, 2023, 05:51:23 PM »
« edited: June 18, 2023, 05:55:34 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Lee being only 3% off from being the fourth-placed Democrat must be incredibly embarrassing for her.

This is a poll a full year out from the election where the top-placed candidate is at 15%. You really don't need to try to wring meaning out of this. It's okay to just let it be.

Seriously. Does anyone on this forum actually believe that it’ll be a close Porter vs Schiff runoff? And a poll with 47% undecided isn’t exactly meaningful.

This is not like the next presidential election, which more people would be paying attention to or aware of because it’s the presidential election, and also because the likely major party nominees are the incumbent President and the previous President (read: name recognition). The vast majority of voters aren’t paying attention to other races this far out.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #776 on: June 19, 2023, 10:22:04 AM »

Schiff is gonna win
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #777 on: June 20, 2023, 05:53:30 AM »

Lee being only 3% off from being the fourth-placed Democrat must be incredibly embarrassing for her.

This is a poll a full year out from the election where the top-placed candidate is at 15%. You really don't need to try to wring meaning out of this. It's okay to just let it be.

Seriously. Does anyone on this forum actually believe that it’ll be a close Porter vs Schiff runoff? And a poll with 47% undecided isn’t exactly meaningful.

This is not like the next presidential election, which more people would be paying attention to or aware of because it’s the presidential election, and also because the likely major party nominees are the incumbent President and the previous President (read: name recognition). The vast majority of voters aren’t paying attention to other races this far out.

I would hope that voters would have learnt enough from the Feinstein saga that electing someone who would be 84 at the end of their term is a bad idea, and that Lee therefore won't gain traction.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #778 on: June 20, 2023, 09:19:03 AM »

I would hope that voters would have learnt enough from the Feinstein saga that electing someone who would be 84 at the end of their term is a bad idea, and that Lee therefore won't gain traction.

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying the past few months on here, support bias aside Porter is progressive enough AND has the advantage of not being old enough to have theoretically met Albert Einstein
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #779 on: June 22, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »

This seems a bit of an unforced error, Schiff got a massive contribution from the republicans deciding to censure him. You shouldn't let him paint you as enabling them.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #780 on: June 22, 2023, 11:11:01 AM »

Censure vote makes it more likely than not Schiff is the next Sen from California
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #781 on: June 22, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »

So is that MLB guy getting in or not?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #782 on: June 22, 2023, 03:33:03 PM »

This seems a bit of an unforced error, Schiff got a massive contribution from the republicans deciding to censure him. You shouldn't let him paint you as enabling them.

I don’t see how this is an error
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #783 on: June 22, 2023, 03:41:07 PM »

Schiff is gonna be the next Sen from CA
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #784 on: June 22, 2023, 04:03:07 PM »

I don’t see how this is an error

Yeah if anything she’s just speaking the truth.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #785 on: June 25, 2023, 10:28:26 PM »

Schiff is a gamer???
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #786 on: June 26, 2023, 07:41:57 AM »

Schiff is a gamer???

This reads like a middle school teacher trying to relate to his students.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #787 on: June 27, 2023, 02:48:28 PM »

I'm sorry but I don't see how on earth Lee, an extremely progressive democrat who opposed the Afghanistan war in 2001 of all years would get the support of the democratic establishment who would see such a move as extremely fringe like, not to mention Lee is very pro Palestinian too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #788 on: June 27, 2023, 07:51:17 PM »

I'm sorry but I don't see how on earth Lee, an extremely progressive democrat who opposed the Afghanistan war in 2001 of all years would get the support of the democratic establishment who would see such a move as extremely fringe like, not to mention Lee is very pro Palestinian too.

The Californian establishment (in fact, the Sacramento establishment) isn't the Washington establishment. We already know they're unlikely to support Schiff, which is seen as Pelosi's pet and has no history of working with party leaders in Sacramento. He's a creature of Washington.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #789 on: July 14, 2023, 11:19:28 AM »

Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #790 on: July 16, 2023, 01:07:24 PM »

https://www.fec.gov/data/elections/senate/CA/2024/

Cash on hand as of end of Q2.

Schiff (D)- $29.8 mil.
Porter (D)- $10.4 mil.
Lee (D)- $1.4 mil.
Early (R)- 80K
A bunch of others- next to nothing.

Schiff has more COH than any of the presidential candidates (at least in their main accounts), Lee is struggling to keep up with the top 2 and the Republicans are not even showing up.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #791 on: July 16, 2023, 03:05:54 PM »

Has Schiff more access to big donors through Pelosi's network or generally more grassroots support?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #792 on: July 16, 2023, 03:41:31 PM »

Has Schiff more access to big donors through Pelosi's network or generally more grassroots support?

This quarter Schiff raised $3.8 mil in itemized contributions (>$200) and $4.4 mill in unitemized contributions (<$200) so more from small donors.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #793 on: August 03, 2023, 01:01:08 PM »

Senator Feinstein's daughter has power of attorney over her personal affairs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/03/us/feinstein-husband-estate-family-fortune.html

Nothing wrong with someone taking over the personal affairs of someone who can no longer handle them themselves, I did it for my mother, but should somebody who can not be trusted to control their own life really be a US Senator?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #794 on: August 03, 2023, 01:06:58 PM »

Senator Feinstein's daughter has power of attorney over her personal affairs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/03/us/feinstein-husband-estate-family-fortune.html

Nothing wrong with someone taking over the personal affairs of someone who can no longer handle them themselves, I did it for my mother, but should somebody who can not be trusted to control their own life really be a US Senator?

Reminds me of my grandma, who has done likewise years ago and ironically is born just five days apart from Feinstein. I couldn't imagine her being in the senate today. I guess it would be best for her to resign and Newsom appoint a placeholder who's not running in 2024 so that it's a fair contest between Schiff, Porter and Lee.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #795 on: August 03, 2023, 03:15:49 PM »

The age issue is never going to stick with Barbara Lee. The people who criticize Feinstein for not retiring are the same people who would be Lee's natural base.

Schiff is much more cozy with SoCal/Hollywood big money than any of the top 3.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #796 on: September 10, 2023, 11:41:24 AM »

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #797 on: September 10, 2023, 01:00:31 PM »

Even as someone who's been leaning towards supporting Lee after Porter's AIPAC blunder, this is a definite Newsom W. With such a competitive primary, he shouldn't be tipping the scales like that.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #798 on: September 10, 2023, 04:01:05 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2023, 04:05:44 PM by Zedonathin2020 »

Good. Lee is not entitled to that seat.

And I’m not just saying that as a Porter supporter either, it’s like she knows that she has no chance at getting elected, so she just prays that Feinstein either resigns or dies so she can get that promotion without any real work for it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #799 on: September 10, 2023, 04:22:11 PM »

Absolutely the right choice - especially since I don't think Lee would even be guaranteed a victory if she was given the appointment. She's in third in all polls, Schiff has the most mainstream support, and Newsom trying to put his finger on the scale would anger his backers and likely result in a nastier, harder-fought race. Short-circuiting a primary race like this just isn't done.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies