California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:04:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64538 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: April 16, 2023, 07:14:19 AM »

Guys, Feinstein isn't resigning early. She still thinks she's running for re-election, it's her staffers who are forcing her out. She can't do the job anymore, but she still thinks she can.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #651 on: April 16, 2023, 10:14:56 AM »

Will Newsom need to appoint a replacement even though Feinstein isn't resigning?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #652 on: April 16, 2023, 10:22:08 AM »

Will Newsom need to appoint a replacement even though Feinstein isn't resigning?

Newsom should appoint someone so that California can have three senators (two functioning).
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #653 on: April 16, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »

No. Feinstein must actually resign for that to happen.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #654 on: April 16, 2023, 10:57:34 AM »

Really, Newsom shouldn't have backed himself into the corner of saying he'd only appoint an African-American woman.

The best appointment, really is Kounalakis, because even if she did run, she'd be no threat in a primary, and she probably won't run because she wants to be Governor more.

Boxer would also be a decent choice imo. She literally already knows the job and considering her willingness to retire back in 2016, there’s very little chance of her running again.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #655 on: April 16, 2023, 11:30:15 AM »

No. Feinstein must actually resign for that to happen.
What I meant is will Feinstein be healthy enough to be alive for the entire term?
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #656 on: April 16, 2023, 01:31:09 PM »

Really, Newsom shouldn't have backed himself into the corner of saying he'd only appoint an African-American woman.

The best appointment, really is Kounalakis, because even if she did run, she'd be no threat in a primary, and she probably won't run because she wants to be Governor more.

Boxer would also be a decent choice imo. She literally already knows the job and considering her willingness to retire back in 2016, there’s very little chance of her running again.
Would seem very Jon Kyl-esque except she probably wouldn’t resign after being appointed.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #657 on: April 16, 2023, 01:31:54 PM »

Guys, Feinstein isn't resigning early. She still thinks she's running for re-election, it's her staffers who are forcing her out. She can't do the job anymore, but she still thinks she can.

I don’t think she will resign either. But she is 90 years old with shingles, so a temporary replacement may be necessary should the worst happen.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #658 on: April 16, 2023, 01:46:15 PM »

Kounalakis seems more likely to launch a bid for governor in 2026 when her second term as number two is coming to a close. So basically following Newsom's footsteps. I think she has a decent shot making it into the general election.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #659 on: April 16, 2023, 02:09:21 PM »

Kounalakis seems more likely to launch a bid for governor in 2026 when her second term as number two is coming to a close. So basically following Newsom's footsteps. I think she has a decent shot making it into the general election.

Nah, she probably doesn't make the general. If she does, she loses. More high profile Dems will run.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #660 on: April 16, 2023, 02:25:52 PM »

Might Newsom appoint Malia Cohen as a placeholder?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #661 on: April 16, 2023, 08:35:21 PM »

So that didn't work out, I'm guessing.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2023, 06:15:36 PM »

Does the winner in 2024 have a good chance to hold the seat for as long as that incumbent wants? Primary challenges are rarely successful.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #663 on: April 17, 2023, 11:11:45 PM »

Does the winner in 2024 have a good chance to hold the seat for as long as that incumbent wants? Primary challenges are rarely successful.

I’d say so
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #664 on: April 18, 2023, 06:03:05 AM »

I have the perfect answer
Appoint Lee to the seat, and in return split off California's ten southern counties and admit them to the union as a new 51st state of South California, leaving Schiff and Porter to those new senate seats instead.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #665 on: April 18, 2023, 09:07:50 AM »

Nah, she probably doesn't make the general. If she does, she loses. More high profile Dems will run.

Who do you think of? Fiana Ma? She'd be a formidable candidate, though I could see Kounalakis making it into the November election. It's not assured the race will be D vs. D either way, depending on the GOP field of candidates. Ever since adopting the jungle primary, a GOPer advanced to the GE. Kounalakis would easily win against any R.

To the best of my knowledge, she's already preparing for a run and expressed interest in running.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #666 on: April 18, 2023, 10:23:57 AM »

Who do you think of? Fiana Ma? She'd be a formidable candidate, though I could see Kounalakis making it into the November election. It's not assured the race will be D vs. D either way, depending on the GOP field of candidates. Ever since adopting the jungle primary, a GOPer advanced to the GE. Kounalakis would easily win against any R.

To the best of my knowledge, she's already preparing for a run and expressed interest in running.
She'd get primaried out. Ma is accused of abusing staff.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #667 on: April 18, 2023, 10:51:55 AM »

I have the perfect answer
Appoint Lee to the seat, and in return split off California's ten southern counties and admit them to the union as a new 51st state of South California, leaving Schiff and Porter to those new senate seats instead.

I would assume Padilla would be one of the senators of this new state.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #668 on: April 18, 2023, 01:56:27 PM »

Fancyarcher
United States
« Reply #669 on: April 18, 2023, 03:09:24 PM »

Aka I have my 50th vote power back again, I care about nothing else.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #670 on: April 18, 2023, 03:38:58 PM »

Thad. Cochran.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #671 on: April 18, 2023, 04:13:47 PM »

Quote from: Peltola for God Empress link=topic=530142.msg9045155#msg9045155

Thad. Cochran.
[/quote

I don't recall any sitting member of Congress calling on him to resign.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #672 on: April 18, 2023, 06:28:15 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2023, 12:50:45 AM by Peltola for God Empress »

author=Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins link=topic=530142.msg9045212#msg9045212 date=1681852427 uid=20997]
author=Peltola for God Empress link=topic=530142.msg9045155#msg9045155

Thad. Cochran.

I don't recall any sitting member of Congress calling on him to resign.

Well with Cochran after he started missing committee chairings he quickly came to the realization he needed to amongst a flurry of rumors. Feinstein is unique in that she has been weathering calls for her to step down due to her health for years. Most of them realize they need to retire before it gets this far.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #673 on: April 19, 2023, 06:32:27 AM »

This stuff is legitimately horrifying. Their colleague is being held hostage and put through a hell none of us could possibly comprehend, and they're all just sitting back and saying how good and cool it is for Feinstein's staff to torture an Alzheimer's patient. Obviously nobody expects most members of Congress to be good people, but the Senate is a body fully devoid of even the most basic of humanity. If they can sit back and watch this without speaking out, there's absolutely no moral boundary you can draw that they wouldn't cross. At this point, until they start speaking out, I can only assume that all 99 of Feinstein's colleagues are legitimately dangerous sociopaths nobody should be left alone with who would all eat a baby and light a box of kittens on fire if they thought they could get away with it. It's bone chilling stuff.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #674 on: April 19, 2023, 08:51:54 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies