California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:46:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64612 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: April 11, 2023, 01:10:38 PM »

Um, I just want at least one of my senators to be from where I actually live. It’s not that deep. In a state of nearly 40 million that’s geographically expansive, it matters.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #601 on: April 11, 2023, 01:36:34 PM »

What counties are up in the air in a potential D vs D race?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #602 on: April 11, 2023, 01:48:30 PM »

It's very weird because there are a lot of examples of aging senators (in seats with competitive races coming up) who simply get replaced by some random lawyer, campaign officer or state party official who the Governor appoints.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #603 on: April 11, 2023, 02:30:38 PM »

Brad Sherman's perennial primary challenger Raji Rab will run for Senate. Will perennial Democratic candidate Akinyemi Agbede run again in 2024?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #604 on: April 11, 2023, 05:00:51 PM »

Um, I just want at least one of my senators to be from where I actually live. It’s not that deep. In a state of nearly 40 million that’s geographically expansive, it matters.

I also remember when the Bay Area held both senate seats for the last 27 of 30 years
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #605 on: April 11, 2023, 05:27:40 PM »

Wil Ro Khanna run a primary challenge against Alex Padilla in 2028?
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #606 on: April 12, 2023, 04:23:35 PM »

Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #607 on: April 12, 2023, 04:32:08 PM »

And the knives are officially out.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #608 on: April 12, 2023, 04:33:34 PM »

If Feinstein resigns or dies, who does Newsom appoint (likely an African-American woman)?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #609 on: April 12, 2023, 04:52:19 PM »

It's very weird because there are a lot of examples of aging senators (in seats with competitive races coming up) who simply get replaced by some random lawyer, campaign officer or state party official who the Governor appoints.

This is not Gavin Newsom's style. All of the appointments that he has made (and there have been many) were of people who subsequently ran for reelection and won. He looks to place his people in positions for which they will then be indebted to him.

Newsom's past declaration that he would appoint a black woman here is an intriguing factor here. When he said this, people on this forum took that to mean London Breed because they were unaware that there are multiple black women who live in California. Maybe they know now. My thought at the time was that appointing Barbara Lee would make a lot of sense, and it still does, but now there's the complication of the fact that the primary campaign has already started. Lee would be very difficult to beat if she were the incumbent, and everyone knows it, and I think that there'll be a lot of people who would like Newsom to appoint someone else for that reason.

If the circumstances were different, I think that Shirley Weber would make a lot of sense, not least because it would enable Newsom to fill yet another statewide elective office by appointment. But Weber was just elected to a four-year term as secretary of state and it's unclear that she'd give that up for a year and a half in the Senate.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #610 on: April 12, 2023, 04:54:36 PM »

If Feinstein resigns or dies, who does Newsom appoint (likely an African-American woman)?

I'd imagine Lee, who would go on to run for a full term, and unlike current circumstances the theoretical incumbency advantage would help her win. But given her age it could also be London Breed, who really ought to be running instead of Lee in the first place.
Oppo

« Reply #611 on: April 12, 2023, 04:55:39 PM »

Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #612 on: April 12, 2023, 05:07:20 PM »

There is clearly a coordinated effort to get Feinstein to resign. First a half dozen media outlets run the same basic story with the anonymous Hill Insiders worried she won't be able to return and now a couple members of Congress saying openly what I am sure most of them are thinking.  It's to bad she didn't come to the realization that can no longer do the job by herself but now it's clear the powers that be are trying to push her out. My guess she resigns within a week.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #613 on: April 12, 2023, 05:09:04 PM »

Newsom's past declaration that he would appoint a black woman here is an intriguing factor here. When he said this, people on this forum took that to mean London Breed because they were unaware that there are multiple black women who live in California.

London Breed, who really ought to be running instead of Lee in the first place

People on this forum are really never going to stop trying to make London Breed happen, are they?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #614 on: April 12, 2023, 05:10:22 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2023, 01:45:01 PM by Interlocutor »

Newsom's past declaration that he would appoint a black woman here is an intriguing factor here. When he said this, people on this forum took that to mean London Breed because they were unaware that there are multiple black women who live in California. Maybe they know now. My thought at the time was that appointing Barbara Lee would make a lot of sense, and it still does, but now there's the complication of the fact that the primary campaign has already started. Lee would be very difficult to beat if she were the incumbent, and everyone knows it, and I think that there'll be a lot of people who would like Newsom to appoint someone else for that reason.

I audibly laughed at that line.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #615 on: April 12, 2023, 05:21:49 PM »

I'd imagine Lee, who would go on to run for a full term, and unlike current circumstances the theoretical incumbency advantage would help her win. But given her age it could also be London Breed, who really ought to be running instead of Lee in the first place.

Breed is happy where she is, and I hope to god she stays there. SF needs her.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #616 on: April 12, 2023, 05:25:50 PM »

Newsom's past declaration that he would appoint a black woman here is an intriguing factor here. When he said this, people on this forum took that to mean London Breed because they were unaware that there are multiple black women who live in California.

London Breed, who really ought to be running instead of Lee in the first place

People on this forum are really never going to stop trying to make London Breed happen, are they?

I mean if were going to talk about electing a Woman of Color, I'd rather it be someone who isn't older than my all four of my Grandparents.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #617 on: April 12, 2023, 06:46:04 PM »

Newsom would most likely just appoint a seat warmer meaning that anyone who currently holds elected office is probably out. London Breed won't want to resign as SF mayor to serve an incomplete Senate term and there's really no reason to believe she's even a likely candidate unless as noted you are unaware that more than one black woman lives in California.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #618 on: April 12, 2023, 06:49:25 PM »

Now the LA Times has her health issues on the front page.

LA Times: Feinstein's continued Senate absence sparks call for resignation

Weeks after announcing she had been diagnosed with shingles, Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s extended absence from the Senate has left Democrats in a tight spot given the party’s slim majority in the chamber, spurring some high-profile calls for her resignation.

Without Feinstein, who at 89 is the oldest sitting senator, the confirmation of President Biden’s judicial and administrative nominees has been complicated.

As the calls for her to step aside mounted from some corners of the Democratic Party, Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Fremont) joined the fray Wednesday.

“It’s time for @SenFeinstein to resign,” Khanna tweeted. “We need to put the country ahead of personal loyalty. While she has had a lifetime of public service, it is obvious she can no longer fulfill her duties. Not speaking out undermines our credibility as elected representatives of the people.”

Khanna is co-chair of the Senate campaign of Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Oakland), who is running to succeed Feinstein at the end of her term and is a possible pick of Gov. Gavin Newsom if he keeps his promise to appoint a Black woman to the seat if Feinstein retires early. But he could face criticism because such an appointment could be viewed as giving Lee an edge in the Senate race.[...]

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-04-12/feinstein-senate-absence-shingles-judicial-nominees-call-for-resignation
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »

FINALLY!

Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #620 on: April 12, 2023, 11:55:38 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #621 on: April 13, 2023, 01:15:03 AM »

I'm glad that Fossilstein isn't running for re-election, but it's long past time for her to resign.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #622 on: April 13, 2023, 02:34:14 PM »

In case DiFi resigns in the coming weeks or months: With the campaign de facto ongoing already and high-profile candidates in, it seems reasonable to assume Newsom would appoint a placeholder who's not running for a full term in 2024? Who could that be?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #623 on: April 13, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »

With the campaign de facto ongoing already and high-profile candidates in, it seems reasonable to assume Newsom would appoint a placeholder who's not running for a full term in 2024? Who could that be?
It would likely be an African-American woman.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #624 on: April 13, 2023, 02:35:59 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2023, 03:17:27 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Feinstein isn't retiring unless she is incapacitated like Laughtenberg or McCain, Shingles is not a disabled disease
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies