California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:51:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64484 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2023, 02:19:22 PM »

I'm curious about recent examples of other primaries where the debate was this heated over candidates with miniscule ideological differences. The Pennsylvania Senate primary?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2023, 02:20:16 PM »

I'm curious about recent examples of other primaries where the debate was this heated over candidates with miniscule ideological differences

Massachusetts in 2020. It was so insufferable and it gives me PTSD just thinking about it.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2023, 02:22:16 PM »

I'm curious about recent examples of other primaries where the debate was this heated over candidates with miniscule ideological differences

Massachusetts in 2020. It was so insufferable and it gives me PTSD just thinking about it.

How did that one slip past me! I'll retract my question. This is small potatoes compared to that s***show
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2023, 02:28:15 PM »

Barbara Lee will be younger in 2030 than Joe Biden will be in 2028. I’d better hear all of you who are complaining calling for his replacement on the ticket as well…

And in 2020 Biden's age was a factor for many Democrats in the primary, including myself. Age is not the only factor though and the way things worked out he was the best choice IMO. Personally my #1 priority in the 2020 was to have anybody but Bernie Sanders as the nominee, by the time I voted on Super Tuesday Joe Biden was the clear choice to achieve that.

As for 2024 a primary challenge to a sitting President is electoral suicide so it's Biden or bust if he runs (extremely likely).
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2023, 06:39:54 AM »

With that list of guests IMO it's quite obvious that Carol Moseley Braun will be launching a primary challenge to Dick Durbin in 2026.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2023, 07:13:25 AM »

Carol Mosley Braun won't be heard from again she was put out there to confront Harris on Anita Hill by Obama and Biden campaign Dick DURBIN isn't leaving and D's are so close to winning a Filibuster proof Trifecta, all we need is AZ, MO, OH S with Gallego not Sinema a 2 more seats in the H Greene, Boebert and Santos are gone

He is chair of the Judicial Committee and even in a tie he can Discharge DC Statehood from Committee a D then the Filibuster is nuked and Voting Rights
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #356 on: February 13, 2023, 08:33:21 AM »

I prefer someone younger than Lee, but she would be my second preference if I lived in CA. Katie Porter is still my #1, but I actually have no complaints towards any of the major declared candidates.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #357 on: February 13, 2023, 09:33:38 AM »

With that list of guests IMO it's quite obvious that Carol Moseley Braun will be launching a primary challenge to Dick Durbin in 2026.
Cheri Beasley is going to run against Thom Tillis. Meme from the future:
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #358 on: February 13, 2023, 06:04:45 PM »

Lol. I think he retires in 26 and Underwood claims his seat easily, is more like it.

CMB is there because she's definitely proof it's harder to be Black woman in politics. She'd still be a senator if she was a white dude, but then we wouldn't have Obama (which I would fine with tbh). But ultimately, she lost because she was "too progressive" (despite being very moderate on fiscal issues actually) and cuz of "corruption" (she visited with exactly one dictator, which today is a GOP rite of passage). She fell in the polls when she complained about racism, and I know that the campaign against her was very dog-whistley and racist.

It's very hard being a Black woman in politics, and if Republicans don't believe me they should Google what Mia Love has had to say about it. The expectations and standards are higher, you seem less "relatable" to the majority ethnic group just because of who you are, the constant presence of negative stereotypes in the media means you have to be very cautious of how you come across. Not to mention... you know... dealing with racism and sexism?

It's why race matters more than age to me here. If China had ZERO Tibetan or Uyghur women (and btw they don't...) in their Assembly, our government would remind us incessantly. If the Knesset had no Arab women, leftists on here would scold them. But our country enslaved a population for 350 years, banned them from public life for a century after, and now has ZERO of their women in our Senate and is confused like "why the identity politics?" (as if age based voting is not also identity politics lol)

It feels insane to me. Black women deserve equitable representation, let alone representation period. Especially when they are the most loyal Democratic constituency.

I would vote for Barbara Lee anyway. She's a hero, an icon, and the right person for the job. But it's crazy, downright gaslighting to me, that so many people are proceeding as if the point she is making about Black women's representation in government isn't important. To me, it's far more important than having someone my age in office. I think lots of minorities feel that way, and making it into a race vs. age thing has extremely high potential to backfire.

I'll vote for Katie Porter over a Republican or Schiff. I don't dislike her, although I also am familiar with her voting record and beliefs and am happy to explain why they don't just align neatly with my progressive values. Regardless, I think that Barbara Lee is a unique and special candidate with history's realization riding on her shoulders. And I think that a lot more people are like me than many of us are willing to admit.

Similarly, I'm very curious to see how Brenda Lawrence does in a contested primary. We are looking at the Year of the Black Woman coming right up, and I think folks in here are underestimating how powerful that kind of a Zeitgeist could be. We definitely have Alsobrooks and LBR incoming. I for one would be ecstatic to go from 0 to 4 Black women in the Senate
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2023, 01:59:58 PM »

FEINSTEIN OUT

It's Barbin Time
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #360 on: February 14, 2023, 02:05:41 PM »

LETS F----ING GOOOOO!!!

SENATOR PORTER BOIIII
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2023, 02:11:49 PM »

Not wishing ill on Feinstein but, given her age, not an impossibility: what if she were to die before she finishes this current term? Who would Newsom appoint and would it be anybody running? Would that person then decide to run?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2023, 02:18:10 PM »

And now the entire California establishment machine comes down for Schiff.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2023, 02:24:12 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2023, 02:27:27 PM by Zedonathin2020 »

They already did, the House Democratic delegation (including Pelosi now that DiFi’s going bye bye) has already endorsed him.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2023, 02:27:44 PM »

Dianne Feinstein has released a statement on her retirement:

"potato"
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2023, 02:31:51 PM »

No way Newsom does other than appoint a caretaker who will be a safe Democratic vote in the Senate while the primary sorts out the eventual winner.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2023, 02:37:39 PM »

They already did, the House Democratic delegation (including Pelosi now that DiFi’s going bye bye) has already endorsed him.

The House Democratic delegation is not the state level establishment, though.  The list of House Democrats endorsing Schiff doesn't really include many members who are close to Newsom (it also, notably, is missing most of the Hispanic members from LA). The DC establishment clearly has chosen Schiff; the state establishment has thus far not shown its hand.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2023, 02:39:55 PM »

comparing Biden's 2020 run with Barbara Lee's senate run is not an apt one...Dems didn't have many alternatives in 2020 and Biden was polling the best vs Trump among all possible Dem candidates. That's just not the case here...even worst possible Dem candidate will win the California Sen race.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #368 on: February 14, 2023, 02:56:35 PM »

About time. I first thought she was going to resign as well. But glad to see she's finally going or about to go. Let's go Shifty "Pencil Neck" Schiff!
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2023, 02:59:57 PM »

Based on that list from Twitter, 23 of the 40 House Democratic delegation have endorsed him.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #370 on: February 14, 2023, 03:02:53 PM »

Thank god Feinstein isn't running again.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2023, 03:20:57 PM »

comparing Biden's 2020 run with Barbara Lee's senate run is not an apt one...Dems didn't have many alternatives in 2020 and Biden was polling the best vs Trump among all possible Dem candidates. That's just not the case here...even worst possible Dem candidate will win the California Sen race.

And if that seat MUST be held by a WOC, why not London Breed and not somebody who’s almost 80 years old and would probably only serve a single term?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2023, 03:27:22 PM »

And if that seat MUST be held by a WOC, why not London Breed and not somebody who’s almost 80 years old and would probably only serve a single term?

Here's a good example of a phenomenon I observed recently:

This forum has always been fascinated with the idea of London Breed winning higher office, but there doesn't seem to be any reason there except that she's a black woman and I guess not everyone here can name other black female politicians in California.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2023, 03:35:13 PM »

my Queen still lives!  (at least until January 3, 2025, that is)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2023, 04:03:54 PM »

Didn’t Feinstein previously state she was going to announce her plans next year? If that’s true the fact she has expedited the timeline makes me wonder why.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies