TX-SEN 2024 megathread: The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:57:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2024 megathread: The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2024 megathread: The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer  (Read 23561 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: January 27, 2024, 03:01:28 AM »

I do wonder if Colin Allred being this big-burly former football star may help around the margins both in developing a a brand and making him harder to attack, sort of like how John Fetterman’s huge size helped him develop a brand throughout his career.

Well, being a big-burly former football star wasn't enough to drag Herschel Walker over the finish line. (I'm not saying that this can't potentially be an advantage - I'm saying that it's not a trump card.)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2024, 03:13:12 AM »

The issue Rs are having is that they're not running against Beto
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2024, 03:31:02 AM »

I do wonder if Colin Allred being this big-burly former football star may help around the margins both in developing a a brand and making him harder to attack, sort of like how John Fetterman’s huge size helped him develop a brand throughout his career.

Well, being a big-burly former football star wasn't enough to drag Herschel Walker over the finish line. (I'm not saying that this can't potentially be an advantage - I'm saying that it's not a trump card.)
Difference is Allred is knowledgeable. Or at the very least he's not going to rant about werewolves and vampires.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2024, 04:30:32 AM »

There is no constructive parallel between Walker and Allred. One is an accomplished lawyer and congressman who flipped a (then) competitive seat, the other appeared to have suffered mental decline and gave stump speeches about vampires with an unknown amount of children.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2024, 09:23:10 PM »

NEB 51ST SEAT, TX 52 ND AND MO IS 53RD ITS PURE WAVE INSURANCE BUT NOW ITS WINNABLE WITH ALLRED DOWN ONLY 2
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2024, 03:53:35 AM »

Change is coming to the Texas Democrats.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #431 on: January 28, 2024, 08:25:48 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/george-soros-pours-millions-texas-090059290.html

Trump is up 8/10 pts TX but not Cruz he is leading by 2
Junior Chimp

« Reply #432 on: January 28, 2024, 08:36:47 AM »

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg poured in 100M $ to turn Florida BLUE in 2020 and it went all down the drain.

$$$$ isn't everything!

Trump & Cruz will win TX easily this year.
robocop
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #433 on: January 28, 2024, 08:42:11 AM »

Why the f*** is that evil monster still not dead yet? I thought his youngest son was supposed to be doing all the dirty work now?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #434 on: January 28, 2024, 09:08:20 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2024, 09:13:34 AM by PHARAOH BAKARI SELLERS »

It's wave insurance just like MO and don't compare 2018 to 24 Abbott has a lot to do with Cruz beating Beto in 18 and 22
That's why Allred is gonna win and Gutierrez is gonna beat Cornyn in 26

I can very well see Trump winning TX and OH and MO by 5 and FL by 10 and Brown, Kunce and ALLRED win
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2024, 10:10:45 AM »

Good for him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #436 on: January 28, 2024, 10:21:19 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2024, 10:25:58 AM by PHARAOH BAKARI SELLERS »

The state by state polls are best for Biden it's not a PVI Eday that's why you can have this split voting in the H there always been Ds running up the score in red states but not so much in the S but Ds have a better chance in TX, MO, OH than MT, WV, we must be prepared to lose Tester if Sheely wins the nomination

Fischer is gone and Cruz is gone we don't know if it's Scott or Hawley as the 3 rd most vulnerable R Senator

Lean D NEB, OH, AZ
Tossup TX,MT, MO
Lean R FL

I can see Trump winning MO, OH, TX by 5 and Kunce, Brown and ALLRED winning and Tester and WV going going R, and FL going 10 pts R
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2024, 12:14:39 PM »

Allred won't treally be percieved as a football star but rather a politician who once played in the NFL as side event. Don't get me wrong, being in the NFL is certainly prestigous, but he had a very limited games and played for a fairly weak Tennesee Titans team at the time. If he played for the Cowboys it could give him more of a local boost maybe, but as of now his star power is much weaker than Herschel Walker's was for better or worse.

This is probably good move for TX Dems. Hinojosa was running the part during the disasters of 2012 and 2014 for Texas Dems, and another set of bad years in 2016, 2020, and 2022. The only good year for TX Dems under him was 2018.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2024, 12:18:16 PM »

ALLRED is down by 2 but an underperforming in OH, MT, MO and TX by Trump would trigger Tester,, Brown and Kunce and ALLRED to win. We already know Scott is gonna win by 10, FL is an R state but not the others Trump may win by 5/6 pts and DeWine had to win by 20 in order for Vance to win by 5

As I said Lean D OH, AZ, Tossup MO, TX, NEB and MT Lean R FL and WV, I had TX Lean R but let's remember Cornyn is gonna have a tough race in 26 if ALLRED wins in 24 Guiterrez is definitely running in 26
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #439 on: January 28, 2024, 02:55:25 PM »

Allred won't treally be percieved as a football star but rather a politician who once played in the NFL as side event. Don't get me wrong, being in the NFL is certainly prestigous, but he had a very limited games and played for a fairly weak Tennesee Titans team at the time. If he played for the Cowboys it could give him more of a local boost maybe, but as of now his star power is much weaker than Herschel Walker's was for better or worse.

This is probably good move for TX Dems. Hinojosa was running the part during the disasters of 2012 and 2014 for Texas Dems, and another set of bad years in 2016, 2020, and 2022. The only good year for TX Dems under him was 2018.

Was 2016 really a bad year for TX Dems - it seems they overperformed expectations given Rs overperformance nationally. Dems were never remotely competitive in the TX State Supreme Court seats up that year but they did their job of preventing a GOP supermajority in the State Leg. 2016 was really the first year that Dems really realized they had possible future prospects in TX.

I agree 2020 was kind of a flop. Dems let the GOP outspend them big time which ultimately allowed the GOP to win a bunch of Biden seats in the State Leg and cost Dems a bunch of US House races. Still in hindsight I don't think Dems would've won the legislature with more investment, but it could've been close.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #440 on: January 28, 2024, 08:34:56 PM »

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg poured in 100M $ to turn Florida BLUE in 2020 and it went all down the drain.

$$$$ isn't everything!

Trump & Cruz will win TX easily this year.

Def think they're both favored, but I don't thing it'll be "easily":

Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2024, 07:01:04 AM »

The Supreme Court was so wrong on Citizens United
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2024, 04:37:22 PM »

Was 2016 really a bad year for TX Dems - it seems they overperformed expectations given Rs overperformance nationally. Dems were never remotely competitive in the TX State Supreme Court seats up that year but they did their job of preventing a GOP supermajority in the State Leg. 2016 was really the first year that Dems really realized they had possible future prospects in TX.

I agree 2020 was kind of a flop. Dems let the GOP outspend them big time which ultimately allowed the GOP to win a bunch of Biden seats in the State Leg and cost Dems a bunch of US House races. Still in hindsight I don't think Dems would've won the legislature with more investment, but it could've been close.
Hillary's campaign actually hit their goals in the metro areas, but they underestimated the significant degree of downballot lag in places like TX07 and TX32. Texas Dems really wanted those two seats but they had to wait two more years before Rs to really started feeling the suburban trends.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2024, 04:46:16 PM »

Hillary's campaign actually hit their goals in the metro areas, but they underestimated the significant degree of downballot lag in places like TX07 and TX32. Texas Dems really wanted those two seats but they had to wait two more years before Rs to really started feeling the suburban trends.

Dems didn’t even have a candidate in TX-32 which in hindsight is pretty insane given Clinton won the district
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #444 on: February 04, 2024, 08:55:41 PM »

Not completely relevant to 2024, but I thought this would be worth sharing. That entire blue chunk of Texas was actually won by Beto in 2018 by <2k votes which is insane. Ted Cruz's entire margin of victory came out of roughly the size of 1.5 congressional districts or 5% of the state's population in east Texas which netted him around 220k votes and thus the win. This map shows you just how well Beto did that year as it was Trump+ 3 in 2020, and Abbott+8 in 2022.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #445 on: February 05, 2024, 11:56:12 PM »

Not completely relevant to 2024, but I thought this would be worth sharing. That entire blue chunk of Texas was actually won by Beto in 2018 by <2k votes which is insane. Ted Cruz's entire margin of victory came out of roughly the size of 1.5 congressional districts or 5% of the state's population in east Texas which netted him around 220k votes and thus the win. This map shows you just how well Beto did that year as it was Trump+ 3 in 2020, and Abbott+8 in 2022.

There was a map I saw a while back showing how taking out high vote netting dense exurbs like Montgomery and Parker Counties makes Texas a blue state.

In general the GOP self-packs in Texas; there are so many R+80 or R+90 exurbs and rural areas which is really what's keeping TX red in recent cycles. If TX rurals voted more like midwestern rurals it would be so over for the TX GOP but realistically that isn't going to happen and any Dem path to victory relies on further gains in the main metro areas.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #446 on: February 06, 2024, 12:53:05 AM »

There was a map I saw a while back showing how taking out high vote netting dense exurbs like Montgomery and Parker Counties makes Texas a blue state.

In general the GOP self-packs in Texas; there are so many R+80 or R+90 exurbs and rural areas which is really what's keeping TX red in recent cycles. If TX rurals voted more like midwestern rurals it would be so over for the TX GOP but realistically that isn't going to happen and any Dem path to victory relies on further gains in the main metro areas.

You could make a play for Texas rural margins, but they’re so sparse (outside of a few counties) it’d be extremely resource intensive compared to working on suburban margins.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: February 06, 2024, 07:50:42 PM »

I can see split voting Trump winning TX and Cruz losing based on Border Security and we get NEB and lose WV.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #448 on: February 06, 2024, 07:56:03 PM »

You could make a play for Texas rural margins, but they’re so sparse (outside of a few counties) it’d be extremely resource intensive compared to working on suburban margins.

This is honestly a huge, underrated advantage to Dems being a more urban/suburban party; your voters are just more geographically compact so campaigning becomes easier. Especially in a state like TX, there is a path to Dem victory that only relies on juicing up margins in the urban metros even as they're losing rurals like 90-10.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2024, 03:39:46 AM »

As I said I am divided on OH, AK, NC and TX because of Brown, Peltola, ALLRED and Stein
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies