TX-SEN 2024 megathread: The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:08:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2024 megathread: The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2024 megathread: The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer  (Read 23537 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2023, 10:14:22 AM »

This is a blog and user PRED this isn't a ratings PRED and what happened to Rs winning 240 H seats and 63 Sen seats Cook and Sabato losing ratings were wrong
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #276 on: May 03, 2023, 10:42:25 AM »

So who could run in the 32nd to succeed him?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #277 on: May 03, 2023, 11:03:49 AM »

As far as state legislators go there’s Nathan Johnson in the senate and about a half dozen state representatives that could run for it. Maybe the Mayor Johnson, but he’s had issues with the council so I doubt he’ll get much support. Maybe Amanda Reichek, she ran for the state Supreme Court and is a judge in Dallas.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #278 on: May 03, 2023, 11:14:28 AM »

As far as state legislators go there’s Nathan Johnson in the senate and about a half dozen state representatives that could run for it. Maybe the Mayor Johnson, but he’s had issues with the council so I doubt he’ll get much support. Maybe Amanda Reichek, she ran for the state Supreme Court and is a judge in Dallas.

Oh wow, we could get the Dragon Ball composer guy in Congress!
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2023, 11:32:05 AM »

Defeating an incumbent like Pete Sessions by the margin he did in 2018 was no small feat (John Culberson barely campaigned against Lizzie Fletcher and lost by less). If he can stave off additional bleeding with Hispanic voters I think there's an argument to be made that this could be the cycle's closest Senate race, percentage-wise.
Allred won by 6.5% in a Clinton+2 seat in a blue wave year. Not a bad performance at all, but I wouldn't call it impressive either and I doubt Pete Sessions of all people was some beloved incumbent.
Lincoln Project
TheLP
Rookie
United States

« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2023, 11:47:32 AM »

Defeating an incumbent like Pete Sessions by the margin he did in 2018 was no small feat (John Culberson barely campaigned against Lizzie Fletcher and lost by less). If he can stave off additional bleeding with Hispanic voters I think there's an argument to be made that this could be the cycle's closest Senate race, percentage-wise.
Then again, Colin underperformed Biden by 5 in 2020. He is a generic party-line gun-grabbing Democrat who has no appeal to any swing demographics, though I am not writing him off completely.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2023, 12:52:32 PM »

Allred won by 6.5% in a Clinton+2 seat in a blue wave year. Not a bad performance at all, but I wouldn't call it impressive either and I doubt Pete Sessions of all people was some beloved incumbent.

Sessions may not have been beloved but he certainly wasn't controversial and as a longtime incumbent  with no major scandals was absolutely no pushover. Allred barely outspent him and though outside spending favored Allred his incumbency advantage should have kept this race closer.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2023, 12:52:49 PM »

Then again, Colin underperformed Biden by 5 in 2020. He is a generic party-line gun-grabbing Democrat who has no appeal to any swing demographics, though I am not writing him off completely.

Interestingly (I actually didn't know this before today) Allred was narrowly outraised and outspent in 2020 by a Republican establishment-friendly white woman and got virtually no outside group help while she got ~$1 million. It's not surprising at all that he underperformed Biden given those circumstances and probably should have done a tick worse than he did.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2023, 01:02:24 PM »

Jessica Taylor had some of the worst hot takes in 2022 so I can't say I'm surprised but still, it's just baffling that these people get paid for this analysis.

The race is by no means a tossup but acting as if putting it to "likely republican" is a big move is just moronic

Remember that GA-SEN 2020 (the seat that Perdue occupied at the time) was considered Likely R for a significant portion of that election cycle - it was only during the closing weeks/days before Election Day that the race actually moved toward the "tossup" category.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2023, 01:32:24 PM »

"We don't have to be embarrassed by our Senator" is the kind of line more Dems need to be using.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #285 on: May 03, 2023, 01:40:47 PM »

Probability based predictions are junk as are history based ones. The prognosticators failed in 2022 because they ignored polling that showed Republicans very weak on the generic ballot and relied totally on previous cycles being waves for the opposition. Texas is trending Democratic faster than a lot of people want to admit and 2024 could be the year that the dam breaks.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2023, 01:45:52 PM »

Endorsed!

While Cruz is favored, the Democrats should get all in here with their efforts. Even if Allred falls short, a strong performance may help to flip seats in the House and at the state level.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2023, 01:47:23 PM »

The S number will wind up where the PVI since it's gonna be a 52/46 PVI and the same 81/74 M vote as 20 we net TX and MO and lose WV plus 5/17 seats in the H

The reasons why we can net a 380 not 303 map with the same 82/74 M because we lost 8 seats in the H we are gonna gain seats in the H users are confused about

I did the math already
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2023, 02:42:07 PM »

Fletcher already endorsed Allred.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2023, 03:58:57 PM »

Launch video has 4.5M views on Twitter already.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #290 on: May 04, 2023, 05:55:18 PM »

Is it possible Allred is internally upset with the direction of the house Dems? I mean why else would an only 3 term Democrat give up his safe seat and probably lose to Cruz in the Senate race? It's also possible he dislikes the job of being a represenative and views potentially being a Senator as a more enjoyable position despite the risks of not winning the seat. It's worth noting Beto was also a Representative for 3 terms when he ran for Senate, but in Beto's case he did it for the national attention and to become a household name. I don't think Allred has the same intentions as he isn't a media seeker.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #291 on: May 04, 2023, 06:18:16 PM »

Is it possible Allred is internally upset with the direction of the house Dems? I mean why else would an only 3 term Democrat give up his safe seat and probably lose to Cruz in the Senate race? It's also possible he dislikes the job of being a represenative and views potentially being a Senator as a more enjoyable position despite the risks of not winning the seat. It's worth noting Beto was also a Representative for 3 terms when he ran for Senate, but in Beto's case he did it for the national attention and to become a household name. I don't think Allred has the same intentions as he isn't a media seeker.

1. Because he could pull off an upset. People said what they are saying about this race regarding GA 2020, and we know how that turned out.

2. It could help build name recognition ahead of a bid for Governor or another run for Senate in 2026.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #292 on: May 04, 2023, 06:24:06 PM »

1. Because he could pull off an upset. People said what they are saying about this race regarding GA 2020, and we know how that turned out.

2. It could help build name recognition ahead of a bid for Governor or another run for Senate in 2026.
It absolutely could end up being an upset, but its rare for people to give up their house seat for the potential of one. In GA 2020 Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock didn't have any elected position they were risking when they ran. I think it has potential to build name rec but in a Presidential year the senate races get overshadowed a lot especially with Trump at the top of the ticket. Running in a midterm year is better for building name recognition since then its the signature race on the ballot.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #293 on: May 04, 2023, 06:29:43 PM »

Even if it's a longshot for Allred, it's still within the realm of possibility that he wins. If he wins, he would for sure be an instant top contender for president or vice president. Maybe he thinks it's worth it for that alone.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #294 on: May 04, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »

Iirc Beto made a term limit pledge, so there was also the fact that he was leaving the House anyway.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: May 04, 2023, 06:44:51 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2023, 06:47:53 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Even if it's a longshot for Allred, it's still within the realm of possibility that he wins. If he wins, he would for sure be an instant top contender for president or vice president. Maybe he thinks it's worth it for that alone.

Peltola is beating Sullivan, Beshesr is beating Cameron and Presley is within 3 of Reeves we can certainly win red states it depends on outcome of S Govs and Biden is leading Trump and DeSantis 5/10 pts 3o3 isn't enshrined in the Constitution but 538 is blue avatars think we can't win the red states that Clinton and Obama with Biden as Veep won already and Carter, Truman and LBJ and Wilson and FDR won

Get off this red state last forever I told Vosem that when he said that Peltola wasn't really leading Sullivan and Begich won in 2008 and Walker won as an Indy there are blk and Latino that vote D this isn't red TX of 2000/2004 that Bush W won by double digits sane with OH it's not 2004 OH and this isn't WI of 2004 either
Spectator
United States

« Reply #296 on: May 04, 2023, 06:45:26 PM »

There’s zero shot Allred didn’t conduct internal polling and liked what he saw.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #297 on: May 04, 2023, 06:48:55 PM »

The discussion going on in this thread really highlights the odd predicament right now for a Democratic candidate in Texas.

On one hand, a prominent candidate like Allred would do wonders to boost confidence for the state party and move forward the future potential of Texas as a purple or even blue state. Much like Beto in 2018.

On the other hand, folks are confused or possibly adverse to the idea that a prominent Dem would step up and sacrifice themselves for a seat they think has no chance of flipping.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you can't just will a state like Texas or Georgia into flipping. You need folks like Allred and Warnock to step up and put the effort in.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #298 on: May 04, 2023, 06:51:38 PM »

The discussion going on in this thread really highlights the odd predicament right now for a Democratic candidate in Texas.

On one hand, a prominent candidate like Allred would do wonders to boost confidence for the state party and move forward the future potential of Texas as a purple or even blue state. Much like Beto in 2018.

On the other hand, folks are confused or possibly adverse to the idea that a prominent Dem would step up and sacrifice themselves for a seat they think has no chance of flipping.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you can't just will a state like Texas or Georgia into flipping. You need folks like Allred and Warnock to step up and take a crack at it.

People said the same thing about Arizona leading up to 2018 and same thing about Georgia leading up to 2020. Now it’s Texas’s turn.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: May 04, 2023, 06:51:57 PM »

We have won red states before Wilson, FDR, Truman, JFk, LBJ, Carter, Clinton, Obama and Biden before 20 GA and AZ were red states so Biden did turn Red states blue

I remember French Republican, MT Treasure said Perdue was gonna beat Ossoff because GA was a red state we know whom French Rep is Cathrina or that Green avatar Forumluker

Forumluker disappointed too and sports a Green avatar I don't care about alias but they have similar personality
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies