Congressional Leadership Megathread - McCarthy elected Speaker after 15 ballots, 4 days
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 11:14:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Leadership Megathread - McCarthy elected Speaker after 15 ballots, 4 days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Congressional Leadership Megathread - McCarthy elected Speaker after 15 ballots, 4 days  (Read 11385 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2022, 03:08:49 PM »

Not crazy about the thread merge, TBH: this was intended to be a thread about speaker elections mid-term if one party loses its majority status. But alas, I suppose.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2022, 03:09:13 PM »

Didn't see this announced in this thread, but Pelosi will not seek reelection to House Democratic leadership:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/17/pelosi-first-woman-speaker-to-depart-dem-leadership-in-seismic-shift-00069222

Pelosi and Hoyer are leaving to pave way for Hakeem Jeffries.

I'm really not a fan of Jeffries, but thank god the geriatric leadership will finally get a shakeup. Also Pelosi is apparently staying in the House, meaning she'll become a backbencher, which is pretty weird if you ask me.

Jeffries is a terrible choice, I agree.
I think the reason Pelosi and Hoyer are staying as backbenchers is because the Republicans have a very narrow majority, and it's probably not a good idea to leave a seat or two open, even if it's only for a month or two.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2022, 03:46:13 PM »

Personally, I would like to see Debbie Dingell as the new leader of the House Democrats. I don't think Jeffries is a good choice, but we'll see how he does
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2022, 04:08:09 PM »

Personally, I would like to see Debbie Dingell as the new leader of the House Democrats. I don't think Jeffries is a good choice, but we'll see how he does

I think Dingell being a wealthy white woman may give off bad optics to some but I agree I’m not a fan of Jefferies either. I don’t know exactly how to place my finger on it but optically he’s not the best, and can come off as a bit distant and perhaps even smug?

Honestly Dems have a problem cause most of their senior members are just too entrenched and out of touch
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2022, 04:33:57 PM »

Fine. The longer and worse the standoff among Republicans, the better it is for Democrats, and the more likely it is that a moderate Democrat with support from few moderate Republicans will win the speakership.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »

LMAO these idiots are gonna screw themselves and get Speaker Henry Ceullar or Don Bacon
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2022, 06:50:24 PM »

Pelosi has her faults but I am glad that she gets to retire and end her impressive career as Leader in a way that didn't involve a massive humiliation. We'll see how a Speaker Jeffries does when we take back the House in two years maybe. I'm not really sure what to expect but he will have some big shoes to fill.

Meanwhile the Republicans won and are acting like the humiliated ones.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2022, 07:22:44 PM »

Jeffries is an amoral scumbag who stirs up drama and pits people against each other. He belongs nowhere in leadership
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2022, 07:35:22 PM »

LMAO these idiots are gonna screw themselves and get Speaker Henry Ceullar or Don Bacon

The route we are on right now is McCarthy promises the crazies everything he can to get the votes he lost in conference to support him on the floor. They could either: fall in line and everyone is happy, stand their ground and he loses leading to a scramble for power, or the promises lead to others getting angry their voices are not getting respected or power.

Like a 'IRC' doesn't need to be made up of moderates. Just non-radicals who seize the moment to put themselves at the heads of committees via Dem votes.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2022, 07:55:02 PM »

Clyburn not being whip of democratic majority leader as well and the news that McCarthy seems unable to reach 218 makes me think even more that Clyburn will become a compromise “good government” speaker
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2022, 09:12:15 PM »

Clyburn not being whip of democratic majority leader as well and the news that McCarthy seems unable to reach 218 makes me think even more that Clyburn will become a compromise “good government” speaker

I won't lie, still prefer him to Jeffries, but I seriously think Clark is the one here. She's from an unbeatably safe district, she's right on the line between the CPC and establishment, and she has no outstanding controversies or frankly juvenile feuds dragging her down.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2022, 09:20:38 PM »

I won't lie, still prefer him to Jeffries, but I seriously think Clark is the one here. She's from an unbeatably safe district, she's right on the line between the CPC and establishment, and she has no outstanding controversies or frankly juvenile feuds dragging her down.

I think you’re misunderstanding? I expect Clyburn to to become speaker by cajoling a few republicans to join the democrats to form a function house majority that won’t pass anything substantial, but more keep the government working and avoid shutdowns
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2022, 09:26:32 PM »

I think you’re misunderstanding? I expect Clyburn to to become speaker by cajoling a few republicans to join the democrats to form a function house majority that won’t pass anything substantial, but more keep the government working and avoid shutdowns

That's twice in one night I swapped the Speaker and the Democratic leader in my head. Wow, me. Absolutely wow.

If Clyburn can finagle it, I support him entirely. He's not my ideal Speaker, but having him in charge would mean that a Democrat would decide what legislation hits the floor, giving us a chance to work with the GOP moderates to get things done.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2022, 09:58:57 PM »

The way this is going will be that Democrats scare conservative Republicans to support McCarthy over the prospect of a liberal alternative.

But there will always be enough Liberal Republicans in Congress to give Democrats a fuctional majority in legislation, the question was always will they jump ship and do a Cheney.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2022, 11:15:20 PM »

The way this is going will be that Democrats scare conservative Republicans to support McCarthy over the prospect of a liberal alternative.

But there will always be enough Liberal Republicans in Congress to give Democrats a fuctional majority in legislation, the question was always will they jump ship and do a Cheney.

Democrats will not have a functional majority for legislation. Nothing major will get through Congress in the next two years.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2022, 10:11:42 AM »

Presently, Gaetz, Biggs, Good, and Rosendale have all expressed varying levels of dissatisfaction with McCarthy. That right there is likely enough to sink him, which they know. We are currently at McCarthy trying to woo these guys back on board stage of negotiations (See Hunter Biden) before they say they would only support Scalise or worse - one of their own.

What we will have to see about is if said bending over backward causes those on the other side of the party to break. Once again, they don't need to be true moderates, just power-hungry non-radicals who want all the committee chairs, speaker seat, and are willing to promise the dems that the ship will remain stable.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2022, 01:06:17 PM »

Presently, Gaetz, Biggs, Good, and Rosendale have all expressed varying levels of dissatisfaction with McCarthy. That right there is likely enough to sink him, which they know. We are currently at McCarthy trying to woo these guys back on board stage of negotiations (See Hunter Biden) before they say they would only support Scalise or worse - one of their own.

What we will have to see about is if said bending over backward causes those on the other side of the party to break. Once again, they don't need to be true moderates, just power-hungry non-radicals who want all the committee chairs, speaker seat, and are willing to promise the dems that the ship will remain stable.

Say it with me, everyone,

“Alaska-style Coalition”
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2022, 05:11:10 PM »

Assuming Republicans win CA-22 and CA-13, those four defections would put McCarthy at 218 - which is the bare minimum needed.

Of course, this is assuming that Good/Rosendale/Biggs/Gaetz vote present, or against McCarthy. If they don't vote at all, then the threshold for the speakership is 216, which McCarthy would be above.

Of course if they're demanding concessions, my assumption would be that they're threatening to actually sink him rather than abstain as a protest.

No chance that you get moderate Rs to back Jeffries, but I think Pelosi could convince all the Dems to vote for a "compromise" Speaker. Question becomes, who are the 5 moderate Rs to vote with the Dems? And does Gatez' team cave and pick McCarthy to avoid Speaker Don Bacon/Henry Ceullar/Josh Gottheimer?
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2022, 05:32:58 PM »

Assuming Republicans win CA-22 and CA-13, those four defections would put McCarthy at 218 - which is the bare minimum needed.

Of course, this is assuming that Good/Rosendale/Biggs/Gaetz vote present, or against McCarthy. If they don't vote at all, then the threshold for the speakership is 216, which McCarthy would be above.

Of course if they're demanding concessions, my assumption would be that they're threatening to actually sink him rather than abstain as a protest.

No chance that you get moderate Rs to back Jeffries, but I think Pelosi could convince all the Dems to vote for a "compromise" Speaker. Question becomes, who are the 5 moderate Rs to vote with the Dems? And does Gatez' team cave and pick McCarthy to avoid Speaker Don Bacon/Henry Ceullar/Josh Gottheimer?

Gottheimer and Cuellar are Dems, so I think they’re out. It would almost certainly have to be a Republican unless those voting for a coalition are fine with losing in two years.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2022, 07:58:33 PM »

Gottheimer and Cuellar are Dems, so I think they’re out. It would almost certainly have to be a Republican unless those voting for a coalition are fine with losing in two years.
But who?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2022, 08:02:08 PM »

But who?

Bacon or Newhouse or Fitzpatrick or Mace or Chris Smith or…
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »

I hate Jeffries

He is super pro-Israel
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2022, 08:14:42 PM »

But who?

Bacon or Newhouse or Fitzpatrick or Mace or Chris Smith or…

Chris Smith is way too far right on social issues. He would not be a good compromise candidate if Democratic votes are needed.
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2022, 08:53:11 PM »

Who is the highest-ranking relatively moderate Republican on offer? I would assume Fitzpatrick or Bacon?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies