AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:03:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 43
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)  (Read 52840 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2022, 12:26:15 PM »

I think a lot of people underestimate just how radioactive and unlikeable Sinema is. No Democrats are going to vote for her - even the normies are pissed. The McCain-types will, sure, but the AZGOP will run a lunatic. Someone like Lake could win but I doubt the AZGOP will run someone sane.

That leaves indies, who don't really like her either because she is not a maverick. She is a self-serving hack.

There's no more truly narcissistic "Democrat" in politics. Never mind the Clintons - Sinema used progressives to climb the ladder and pulled it up when she reached the top.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »

Gallego released a statement going in on Sinema. He’s for sure running.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2022, 12:30:41 PM »

I think a lot of people underestimate just how radioactive and unlikeable Sinema is. No Democrats are going to vote for her - even the normies are pissed. The McCain-types will, sure, but the AZGOP will run a lunatic. Someone like Lake could win but I doubt the AZGOP will run someone sane.

That leaves indies, who don't really like her either because she is not a maverick. She is a self-serving hack.

There's no more truly narcissistic "Democrat" in politics. Never mind the Clintons - Sinema used progressives to climb the ladder and pulled it up when she reached the top.

Sinema may siphon off "McCain-democrats" who voted for Biden and statewide Ds in non-Treasurer races, but she also gives moderate Republicans who held their nose for the MAGA slate a option out.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2022, 12:33:30 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2022, 12:36:49 PM by prag_prog »

I think key question here is whether Sinema would be willing top dropout if polling shows that she has no chance of winning in a 3 way matchup and gift the seat to GOP
new_patomic

« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2022, 12:59:50 PM »

Genuine question but

Do we think Sinema is actually happy being a Senator?

She doesn't really seem to like or enjoy most aspects of being a politician, be it attending caucus meetings or calling stakeholders or doing basic relationship maintenance with state party officials. She doesn't like the press. She's chummy with business groups but my impression is she rarely meets with outside orgs as a whole. I guess she still does townhalls but those are probably pretty curated; she isn't just going to sit there and deal with a bunch of "angry activists."

What aspects of the job do she actually enjoy, or make her happy.

Even with voting, she's been very adamant in the past that her schedule is her schedule and if she has to leave suck it up.

Does she even enjoy this.

I don't understand how anyone could not enjoy being a Senator. It's one of the easiest jobs in the world, all the hard work is done by staffers. It comes with a great salary and some of the best benefits of any job. The only cushier job would be an ambassadorship to some tropical island nation.

I'm just saying you get the genuine sense that she's upset that other people... expect things, of her, because she's a senator
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2022, 01:06:55 PM »

Guys, Sinema has literally no chance of winning. Democrats won’t step aside for her and the idea that the lunatics in the AZGOP will is laughable. The only question is if she wants to burn all possible bridges and get 5% at most, but possibly still throw the seat to the GOP, or if she just wants to retire, and I think the latter is significantly likelier.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2022, 01:29:53 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2022, 01:35:07 PM »

Again, I don't see why Sinema would do this if she has given up the idea of running for re-election. She sounds in her interview with Tapper that she dreams of creating a viable third party movement in AZ, ala ME would be the best example. Odds are, that dream is unrealistic, but it depends on who the players are.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »

I honestly wouldn't have cared much about her switch if she was from a blue state like WA, IL etc. But its Arizona and there is so much uncertainity on whether even she runs for re-election or not
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »

Whoever wins in 2024, it won't be the Republican, and that's the most important thing. I also don't even slightly expect Sinema to draw enough Democratic votes to actually win. The state of the race stays the same, just much more annoying.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2022, 01:39:48 PM »

Gallego would be favored, and I think he would be fantastic. Kelly/Gallego could be the best Senate delegation in the country.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2022, 01:40:09 PM »

Sinema's approvals are in the gutter among all groups, and the highest is with Republicans, likely just because she "triggers the libs" and those voters would vote for a R rather than her anyway. If she runs, she gets no higher than 7%, and probably taking slightly more from Rs than Ds.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2022, 01:40:15 PM »

Arizona has somehow became the most interesting state politically over the last 5 years...there is always some drama, never boring
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2022, 01:45:56 PM »

If Republicans did manage to court her for 2024, it has the potential to be a huge PR coup for the party.  They could use her to blunt pretty much every Dem attack based on pre-2015 social issues. 
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2022, 01:51:42 PM »

If Republicans did manage to court her for 2024, it has the potential to be a huge PR coup for the party.  They could use her to blunt pretty much every Dem attack based on pre-2015 social issues. 

Yyyyeah...not really. Democrats see right through her and she would be completely unpalatable to the Arizona GOP base.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2022, 01:57:03 PM »

Corny already said they aren't running against Sinema which leaves Tester and Manchin and Rick Scott vulnerable
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2022, 02:08:57 PM »

Yyyyeah...not really. Democrats see right through her and she would be completely unpalatable to the Arizona GOP base.

IDK, they desperately need to thread the needle with the ~25% of Republicans who are at least somewhat pro-choice and the ~50% who are pro-gay marriage (both of which are higher among major donors than among R voters in general) while also saying "let the South be as Baptist as it wants to be because federalism."  "I'm bisexual and pro-choice, but the left still went too far for me" would be the ideal message to make that happen, particularly in a Western swing state.       
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2022, 02:11:32 PM »

IDK, they desperately need to thread the needle with the ~25% of Republicans who are at least somewhat pro-choice and the ~50% who are pro-gay marriage (both of which are higher among major donors than among R voters in general) while also saying "let the South be as Baptist as it wants to be because federalism."  "I'm bisexual and pro-choice, but the left still went too far for me" would be the ideal message to make that happen, particularly in a Western swing state.       

She voted to remove Trump twice, she’d be toxic in an AZ GOP primary.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2022, 02:12:41 PM »

Those Republicans numbers will crater once the campaign starts and the Republicans remind everyone that she voted to impeach Trump.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2022, 02:17:13 PM »

Do y'all not realize we're living in the Krysten-Sinema-for-President-in-2024 timeline?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2022, 02:20:13 PM »

Do y'all not realize we're living in the Krysten-Sinema-for-President-in-2024 timeline?

Biden already said he is running
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2022, 02:23:25 PM »

Odds are, that dream is unrealistic, but it depends on who the players are.

It does depend on that, yes. Unfortunately, the main player is Kyrsten Sinema.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2022, 02:30:35 PM »

Buried in this story is that Gallego has all but launched his campaign and Raul Grijalva has already promised to endorse.

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2022, 02:30:44 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies