I was wrong about the Rust Belt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:14:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  I was wrong about the Rust Belt
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I was wrong about the Rust Belt  (Read 1050 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2022, 01:35:33 PM »

While improving in WWC areas, it's increasingly unlikely that the Blue Wall will become GOP strongholds anytime soon, including in WI. I think the area will remain Dem-leaning at least in the short term and that the only reason Trump won was because Clinton was a horrific candidate who didn't inspire turnout.
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »

Well Ohio has shifted to become a safe Republican state. I think as long as republicans can put up credible candidates these regions will continue to shift right. The big liability for the GOP here is the religious right. A lot of the WWC in the upper Midwest is socially moderate. They are turned off by the evangelical anti abortion stuff.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 10:02:14 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2022, 10:05:27 PM by Real Populism’s Never Been Tried »

Well Ohio has shifted to become a safe Republican state. I think as long as republicans can put up credible candidates these regions will continue to shift right. The big liability for the GOP here is the religious right. A lot of the WWC in the upper Midwest is socially moderate. They are turned off by the evangelical anti abortion stuff.
Ohio is an interesting state and it shows that more of the country is much further left culturally than it was even 10 years ago. Ohio was usually a must-win state, often a few points behind the P.V. but not by much. As the country has gotten more progressive, Ohio more or less stagmated which is reinforced by the WWC leaving the Dem Party in droves. I think under the right conditions, a Dem could still win Ohio but it would have to be a rare breed type or the GOP candidate would have to be horrifically bad. I'm not confident that Brown is going to win in 2024 unless it's a Biden landslide but he could if a more establishment and/or Christian Right candidate turns off Eastern Ohio. In theory it's about 10 years behind Missouri or so it seems but Ohio has less of an evangelical population so the shift is likely to be slower unless you develop an East Kentucky type of situation where the voters become so fed up with the Dem Party that it doesn't matter anymore.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 02:15:18 PM »

Ohio has always been more Republican leaning though. Even in FDR's 1932 landslide, he only won Ohio by two points.
clever but short
andy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 07:07:52 PM »

There's a pretty clear split forming between on the one hand, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Michigan, and on the other hand, Ohio and Iowa, with Wisconsin in between. Lumping them all together has always been fairly inaccurate.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 11:28:30 PM »

The non-college educated white voters there have a lot of potential to go Republican and give them regional dominance, but potential opportunities can be lost. Republicans need someone presidential who isn't obsessed with the evangelical agenda and doesn't come across as a normal trickle-down Republican on economic issues.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 11:37:52 PM »

There's a pretty clear split forming between on the one hand, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Michigan, and on the other hand, Ohio and Iowa, with Wisconsin in between. Lumping them all together has always been fairly inaccurate.
Minnesota yes. Meanwhile whatever Ds lose in West PA can be made up with SEPA and cutting margins in Lancaster/York. Michigan/Wisconsin easily could go the way of Ohio. In Wisconsin’s case, there is a lot of room for Ds to gain in WOW, Fox Valley, and Dane (population boom) but it still will be an uphill battle. For Michigan it’s far less clear, there is room to grow in Grand Rapids area…but past that it get tricky.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 11:50:22 PM »

Minnesota yes. Meanwhile whatever Ds lose in West PA can be made up with SEPA and cutting margins in Lancaster/York. Michigan/Wisconsin easily could go the way of Ohio. In Wisconsin’s case, there is a lot of room for Ds to gain in WOW, Fox Valley, and Dane (population boom) but it still will be an uphill battle. For Michigan it’s far less clear, there is room to grow in Grand Rapids area…but past that it get tricky.

What helps Dems in Michigan is that the MIGOP is basically the Republican equivalent to the Florida Dems. Trump's narrow victory notwithstanding, it is very clearly a Democratic-leaning state.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 08:28:19 AM »

Ohio has always been more Republican leaning though. Even in FDR's 1932 landslide, he only won Ohio by two points.

Ohio was the premier swing state for decades.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 02:49:26 PM »

Wisconsin is much closer to how MI/PA votes than OH/IA.

Minnesota is its own thing.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 03:09:12 PM »

I think we all were.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies