LGC 10.6 — Involuntary Commitment Is Kidnapping Act — PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:22:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 10.6 — Involuntary Commitment Is Kidnapping Act — PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 10.6 — Involuntary Commitment Is Kidnapping Act — PASSED  (Read 679 times)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2022, 05:45:51 AM »
« edited: November 14, 2022, 03:19:35 PM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

THE INVOLUNTARY COMMITMENT IS KIDNAPPING ACT

SECTION I — Title
This legislation may be cited as the Involuntary Commitment Is Kidnapping Act.

SECTION II — Cracking Down On Kidnapping
1. Involuntary commitment to a psychiatric hospital, or other similar institution, as a 'treatment' for insanity shall be prohibited in the region of Lincoln.

2. All patients currently being involuntarily held at psychiatric hospitals, or other similar institutions, with the sole exception of those who pose an immediate physical risk to others, in Lincoln shall be released. Those who pose an immediate physical risk to others shall be transferred to jail.

3. The committee created by LGC 9.14 shall investigate cases of physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, psychological abuse, and neglect at psychiatric hospitals, and other similar institutions, within Lincoln.

4. Involuntarily committing an insane being to a psychiatric hospital, or other similar institution, shall be considered kidnapping, and prosecuted accordingly. A grandfather clause shall apply to all instances of involuntary commitment perpetrated before this legislation's passing, and within 100 hours of its passing.

5. This legislation shall take effect immediately.

Occupying: Slot 2 of 10
Sponsor: ZMUN M441 (Adowemiti)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 05:51:32 AM »

This bill abolishes the practice of involuntary hospitalization for insanity in Lincoln. This 'treatment' does very little to help the patient that requiring them to take medication while remaining in the outside world wouldn't also help with — rather, it just 'helps' sane beings by 'protecting' them from having to be around insane ones. The bill will also have the committee previously created by LGC 9.14, the 'Neurodivergent Lincolnites Act', investigate allegations of abuse of patients at psychiatric hospitals, which primarily involve emotional torment as 'punishment' for misbehaviour and other forms of psychological abuse, but also include accusations of physical abuse such as beatings, neglect, and even molestation and rape.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 12:09:41 PM »

Amendment just to avoid any unintended consequences:

THE INVOLUNTARY COMMITMENT IS KIDNAPPING ACT

SECTION I — Title
This legislation may be cited as the Involuntary Commitment Is Kidnapping Act.

SECTION II — Cracking Down On Kidnapping
1. Involuntary commitment to a psychiatric hospital, or other similar institution, as a 'treatment' for insanity shall be prohibited in the region of Lincoln.

2. All patients currently being involuntarily held at psychiatric hospitals, or other similar institutions, with the sole exception of those who pose an immediate physical risk to others, in Lincoln shall be released. Those who pose an immediate physical risk to others shall be transferred to jail.

3. The committee created by LGC 9.14 shall investigate cases of physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, psychological abuse, and neglect at psychiatric hospitals, and other similar institutions, within Lincoln.

4. Involuntarily committing an insane being to a psychiatric hospital, or other similar institution, shall be considered kidnapping, and prosecuted accordingly. A grandfather clause shall apply to all instances of involuntary commitment perpetrated before this legislation's passing, and within 100 hours of its passing.

5. This legislation shall take effect immediately.

6. No part of this legislation shall prevent an adjucation as a mental defective for the purpose of preventing a person from owning firearms.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 02:24:37 PM »

Objecting to the amendment.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 11:07:14 PM »

A vote on Wulfric's amendment has been initiated.

Nay
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 02:50:04 AM »

Aye
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »

Nay
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 08:36:28 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2022, 09:02:57 PM by Laki »

Error: didn't realize we were voting on the amendment, in spoiler original content that i'll copy paste whenever the final vote is up.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 08:57:10 PM »

I didn't realize we were voting on the amendment.

I don't think the amendment is necessary, it's also worded in a quite complex way and I believe laws or acts should be simplified where possible. The double negative doesn't help the case.

Secondly, i don't see any useful link with gun rights or the right for an individual to bear arms and I don't want to bring up this topic if it isn't needed especially given it is a controversial and polarized topic. If needed, it can be adressed in a separate act. This is an act that should specifically focus on the fact that involuntary commitment is not desireable, regardless of any kind of conditions or preconditions. It always is undesireable.

So I vote nay to the amendment. (but i'll vote aye on the general bill as specified in the former post).
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 08:59:11 PM »

Wulfric's amendment is voted down, 3-1
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 11:08:40 PM »

The gun thing was a concern raised to me by an outside source. To be fair, there's nothing in the bill saying that courts definitively can't judge someone unfit to own guns, it just potentially adds complication.

That being said, it's an issue we can revisit another day and on second thought the FF Act might cover it, I'll have to check.

Nothing further to offer.

ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 05:42:28 PM »

Motioning for a final vote.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 06:27:03 PM »

A vote on this bill has been initiated.

Aye
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2022, 06:54:01 PM »

Aye
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2022, 07:17:55 PM »

Aye
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 09:24:46 PM »

Aye

I strongly urge others to vote aye on this because personally i don't believe any other person can say with reason that some person has a psychiatric disorder and for that reason poses a hazard to himself, or to other people.

Involuntary committing someone is basically imprisoning someone without there being any sort of reason or process. Voting for this means that basically we can allow to randomly "lock people" us or take them from society because we say so, and this could be used to eliminate people one doesn't like, abuse sometimes vulnerable people or even as a way to purge an important person that one considers a threat to their own advances.

There's no objective way to determine someone is insane, and I believe every person has the right to take those decisions theirselves or to be defended by a lawyer on decisions like these, like if there's some kind of victim involved, but that would imply the normal processes that are used when it comes to crimes that cause victims.

I do believe it is is essential to vote for this to protect democracy, to protect human rights and to protect the liberal free-minded spirit of a said person.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 09:26:25 PM »

LGC 10.6 passes, 4-0
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 05:22:28 AM »

Not entirely conviced on this bill, but given the huge consensus the Council has on the issue, I will not oppose this.

X tack50
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies