Which western continental european country is more similar to the USA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:43:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which western continental european country is more similar to the USA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which western continental european country is more similar to the USA?
Portugal

Spain

France

Belgium

Netherlands

Germany

Switzerland

Italy

Austria

Denmark

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Which western continental european country is more similar to the USA?  (Read 1346 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2022, 07:42:18 PM »

None of these countries is very similar to the USA, but which one is the most?
You can consider politics, economy, history, culture, institutions, architeture, food, daily life.

There are no micro states in the list.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:10 PM »

I say Italy when it comes to some Roman architecture (especially in Washington D.C.)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 11:11:14 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2022, 11:15:15 PM by Mr. (Matt) Smith is a better 14 »

France.    If it were Germany or Netherlands, everyone would switch to Spanish at the slightest accent of a tourist...because "muh convenience", followed by making some kind of apology about how difficult English is.  Such a poor Mexican or central American would be forced to say "Inglish please,  no speaky Spanish"  only to find this American still speaking Spanish.    
            Both have similar points, but this Northern European "hide the language from those silly Anglophones" (The Dutch and Scandinavians are just as bad at this) attitude instead of just expecting the language from everyone with proud patriotism is where the line must be drawn.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 12:18:16 AM »

All-in-all, definitely the Netherlands.  

Because the Dutch know our humor.   And speak flawless English.

I've lived and worked side-by-side every single day for a little over 3 years with:  Germans, Dutch, Brits, Belgians, and a Norwegian (1 guy tho lol)....and roughly 12-18 months with:  Italians, Greeks, and French.

And the sole reason?   The Dutch sub--not dub--their TV shows, unlike all the other countries surrounding them.  

Yes, this makes a YUGE difference.   Because as children, they grow up with the nuance of Family Guy humor.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 08:12:21 AM »

France is a giant Midwest.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 06:43:37 PM »

There are motives to choose some countries

France: liberal revolutions in the late 18th century, powerful president, FPTP voting, member of the Allies in the WW2

Germany: federal republic, strong states, wealthy suburbs, large highways, many car manufacturers, sausages

Netherlands: long tradition of individual liberties, everybody speaks English very well

Switzerland: low taxes, weapons, referendums
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 11:09:42 PM »

Germany, but I could see arguments for a couple others.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 11:20:00 PM »

Political culture probably Switzerland, overall culture France because we're both rude and overly dramatic.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 11:21:01 PM »

France. All the reasons I stated in that other thread awhile ago, plus they expect everyone to speak their language perfectly.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 01:54:32 AM »

France and it's not even close. Our oldest frenemies!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 09:43:14 PM »

I would say Belgium but what do I know.

Belgium has a lot of similarities with France and France's winning the poll.

Belgium makes sense actually since we're also a federal state and USA tbh with all states rights and so on kinda is too. Belgium and USA has a lot in common, but also a lot that differs (but usually that's all things USA usually differs on with western European nations).

Belgium also has like those giant rural places like in France, and similar suburbs, of course much more progressive than their USA equivalent. Belgium is just more smaller and like more similar to like a state of the USA than the USA as a whole.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 09:45:16 PM »

There are motives to choose some countries

Germany: federal republic, strong states, wealthy suburbs, large highways, many car manufacturers, sausages

Netherlands: long tradition of individual liberties, everybody speaks English very well

Large highways in common in all of western Europes, they were early to build them (autobahn). However it's definitely a possible pick.

Netherlands make like the least sense, it feels very different from Belgium kinda (is like more of a nordic nation). I would say no to that, Germany, France, Belgium all make more sense.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 09:47:14 PM »

I've lived and worked side-by-side every single day for a little over 3 years with:  Germans, Dutch, Brits, Belgians, and a Norwegian (1 guy tho lol)....and roughly 12-18 months with:  Italians, Greeks, and French.

And the sole reason?   The Dutch sub--not dub--their TV shows, unlike all the other countries surrounding them.  

Yes, this makes a YUGE difference.   Because as children, they grow up with the nuance of Family Guy humor.

Uh...

LOL.

flawless english is biased, because it's not true. Maybe in the cities a lot do, but any European city is like that. And humor is biased too because they're not grounded reality. You also said a lot of sh**t about European countries which turned out to not be true. I even doubt whether you really ever were in Europe and aren't like lying about it.

Incorrect, we Flemish people don't dub our TV shows too, and also sub it, however Germany, France and French speaking Belgium dub it.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 10:00:22 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2022, 10:03:34 PM by Laki »

The south coast of France probably is most like the west coast

The north is definitely more like Mid West, maybe closer to (north)east coast dense rural areas, or like Rust Belt.

I would say Pyrenees are like Mountain West (but maybe less libertarian lol).

West of France maybe New England. And east idk, southeast it's probably the closest to the south you can find in Europe, but the South has no equivalent in mainland Europe.

For Belgium it would be more of an extension of northern France with like economically conservative suburbs and progressive cities, incl. Brussels which is like Washington DC of Europe.

Germany is more reminscent of progressive areas of USA i suppose, so more like new england/east coast/northeast in general. Bavaria could be like the south (or like closest to that), while northern areas are more protestant and southern more catholic, yea it kinda makes sense, they're all 3 good picks. I know Germany less well than France tho.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 10:21:15 PM »

The south coast of France is a Le Pen stronghold. The opposite of the democratic California, Oregon and Washington.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 06:14:44 AM »

The answer is Russia.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 07:13:21 AM »

The south coast of France is a Le Pen stronghold. The opposite of the democratic California, Oregon and Washington.

The Mediterranean Coast is clearly Florida. Complete with old people, racist immigrants, tacky displays of wealth, appalllng urban sprawl and impending environmental catastrophe.

The Atlantic coast is the west coast. Complete with surfing, instagram hipsters, liberal politics and forest fires. Even if the comparison is a bit more of a stretch with this one.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 12:22:17 PM »

TIL Russia is western europe.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 11:14:07 AM »

I'd say overall the US is pretty German.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2022, 04:53:33 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2022, 09:07:30 AM by The Dowager Mod »

Uh...

LOL.

flawless english is biased, because it's not true. Maybe in the cities a lot do, but any European city is like that. And humor is biased too because they're not grounded reality. You also said a lot of sh**t about European countries which turned out to not be true. I even doubt whether you really ever were in Europe and aren't like lying about it.

Incorrect, we Flemish people don't dub our TV shows too, and also sub it, however Germany, France and French speaking Belgium dub it.

The fact that you got so upset that you have to use meaningless insults and capitalize random words in your rant is a proof that I exposed your lies.

I win

and

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies