Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:40:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis  (Read 32599 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: November 03, 2022, 08:57:34 AM »

Well if Hollywood did get out more, they might notice what is going on in Iran right now.

If there's one thing the mullahs are currently praying for, its military intervention from Israel/US.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 09:56:15 AM »

Ben Gvir posted and then deleted a eulogy for judeo-nazi terrorist Kahana: "Murdered as a martyr", "I had the privilege to learn his writings", "in his yeshivah there was love for everyone"

Does he lionise Baruch Goldstein as well?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 07:33:38 AM »

He could at least choose the rather more pithy "the Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity" (unfortunately, have forgotten who actually said that)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 08:07:39 AM »

Indeed, arguably few assasins have been more successful in their aims than Yigal Amir.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 09:45:08 AM »

Any comments on how Israel moves ever closer to an authoritarian theocratic ethnostate, pal?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 10:35:34 AM »

Of course. I've called this for a decade now.

In most countries the youth lean left, but in Israel they are reactionary religious conservatives. It won't be long before gay rights are rolled back there too making Israel even more indistinguishable from the neighbors it constantly claims moral superiority over.

Any evidence on the LGBTQ rights part?

Israel is unique politically on the matter, with those on the left actually less accepting of gay people than those in the center. I would assume part of this is similar to Reagan nostalgia in that older Israelis remember the old leftist governments.

Younger Israelis lean more to the right in terms of hating Palestinians, but the idea that most of them have Iranian-level takes on LGBTQ rights is comical.

Well, we will see I suppose.

Though you would surely agree that theocrats aren't terribly well disposed to gay rights on the whole.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 09:41:53 AM »

Unless your definition of "the left" is unreconstructed tankies and literally nobody else.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 07:18:21 AM »

Being cynical, at his age now he sees "the future" as somebody else's problem?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »

I think you will find Palestine is recognised by more than just "a few poor countries".

Plus they have some other notable trappings of statehood such as competing in sporting events - not true generally of Somaliland or Western Sahara (to take just two seemingly similar examples)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 08:20:13 AM »

I care about Western Sahara and always have done, as with many other "Westerners".

Please take your sweeping generalisations elsewhere.

Oh, and happy Christmas Smiley
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 10:30:23 AM »

From what I've been reading it seems people think that this government could actually last the whole time it is supposed to last. This seems strange to me since A) the only thing Bibi's government seem to have in common is being utterly atrocious bigoted clowns, and their majority isn't that much bigger than the various 2018-2022 circus governments and B) Israeli politics seems to be generally unstable.

This is something I have also been sceptical of from the start - and surprised so many others aren't.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 07:07:43 AM »

What will be the argument of the blindly pro-Israel apologists if "its the only democracy in the Middle East" no longer applies? All but the most extreme will shy away from openly ethnic justifications, so this is a genuinely intriguing question.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 10:26:15 AM »

I entered "a delirious rant by an American poster who knows basically nothing about anything" into ChatGPT and look what I got!

There, amended for even greater accuracy Smiley
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 10:53:11 AM »

Anyone have any speculation as to what the end game of this initiative to emasculate the judiciary will be? At what point will the ongoing evolution of Israel if it continues precipitate a substantial increase in emigration, as particularly young people just give up on the place?

I’m not an Israeli obviously, but my understanding is that younger Israelis tend to be very firmly on the political right (particularly when it comes to the question of whether Israel is a ‘Jewish and democratic’ or simply a Jewish state), so it seems unlikely that young people as a group would be the ones who ‘give up’ on Israel.

Its the sorts of young people that would leave - ie a genuine "brain drain". Maybe a minority, but one that Israel can ill afford to lose given its pretensions towards being a modern technological economy.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 06:10:42 AM »

Yes, endless war was very much a neocon idea. How has it worked out in practice?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 03:29:07 PM »

I was watching last night an interview with this very articulate history professor at U of M knowledgeable about Israel, and he did not expect much of the planned Blinken visit to Israel. He expected him to mouth platitudes about a two state solution, and so forth, that is dead in the water. I then looked up what happened with the Blinken trip. It appears next to nothing. Does anyone have an opinion of what he accomplished, and the impact of the visit, other than the null set, and mouthing of platitudes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pA23q4eZ8

The Americans have no policy minus worthless platitudes and sticking their heads in the sand. Well at least in terms of this administration/party.

Withhold US aids.

Let see how far Israel go before it starts begging for our money.
The point I'm making is they won't withhold any aid regardless of what this government does.

Starting to think this may not be true indefinitely after all.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 11:12:47 AM »

Meretz reaching the threshold clearly does make a significant difference, despite their small size now.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 07:30:00 AM »

What, she said that in the last 24 hours?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 10:08:27 AM »

I'm sure that Israel will be better off going forward with no meaningful left presence at all, yeah Roll Eyes
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2023, 12:27:14 PM »

Some big protests again last night, this government isn't having it all their own way for sure.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 10:20:24 AM »

Is this level of political intervention normal for an Israeli president?

I think they have made "political" statements in the past, so yes to at least an extent.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 10:23:39 AM »

Ah, didn't know this.

(though given the British influence originally, maybe not totally surprising)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 10:16:06 AM »

There does seem to be real resistance in Israel now, which is something.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 03:55:14 AM »

Good of Netanyahu to not back down. He may lose now, but it is better to lose with conviction and courage than to surrender without taking a stand.

Nice to see it confirmed that the modern GOP is actually hostile to democracy.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2023, 09:25:36 AM »

I think the problem of hyper-religious subgroups out-reproducing the rest of society is a problem that will eventually come for all First World societies, and Israel is simply ahead of the curve of the rest of us.

I don't see it. What groups in Christendom are really like the Haredim? The obvious examples are the Mennonites and Jehovah's Witnesses. Maybe you can make a case for Calvinists in the Netherlands, but I don't know to what extent they segregate themselves from broader society. There are pietistic Lutherans in Finland but they are a very small group. Presumably there are other groups in other countries that I can't name, but I am comfortable in saying that none of them are significant. Evangelicals in Brazil and elsewhere don't count because they are part of broader society. The same is true of Mormons. I know you said the First World specifically, but I will also add here that I'm not aware of any groups like this in the Islamic world.

It seems self-evident that religious people are more fertile than irreligious people, and perhaps in the long run this will lead to increased religiosity in society. Groups like the Haredim being the beneficiaries appears to be a specifically Jewish phenomenon.

To a certain degree, maybe.

There are a few places (notably Urk) with their own very distinctive social/political micro-climate.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies