Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:18:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis  (Read 32620 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2022, 02:19:29 PM »

Being cynical, at his age now he sees "the future" as somebody else's problem?

I feel like retirees might think like this, sometimes, but probably not people who just won a new term as head of government after a continuous 3-year campaign.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »

I think you will find Palestine is recognised by more than just "a few poor countries".

Plus they have some other notable trappings of statehood such as competing in sporting events - not true generally of Somaliland or Western Sahara (to take just two seemingly similar examples)
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2022, 09:07:07 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2022, 09:17:21 AM by Coldstream »

I think you will find Palestine is recognised by more than just "a few poor countries".

Plus they have some other notable trappings of statehood such as competing in sporting events - not true generally of Somaliland or Western Sahara (to take just two seemingly similar examples)

Palestine got let in to the IOC after the Oslo accords, when it seemed like a formal/permanent peace treaty with Israel was on the way - it’s quite a sad relic of what might have been.

Though now that you mention it it is quite galling that Palestine are allowed to compete when Western Sahara aren’t given that no one (aside from a hasty quid pro quo from the US) recognises the Moroccan occupation.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2022, 08:37:21 PM »

it it is quite galling that Palestine are allowed to compete when Western Sahara aren’t given that no one (aside from a hasty quid pro quo from the US) recognises the Moroccan occupation.
If i were cynical, more Western progressives care about white European Jews oppressing brown Arabs than brown people oppressing other brown people.

I doubt most Western progressives even back then would have mounted a BDS campaign against Bokassa, for example.

What is there to divest from there? Meanwhile, Israel is unique (aside from Ukraine in 2022) in how much military aid we give them.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2022, 08:20:13 AM »

I care about Western Sahara and always have done, as with many other "Westerners".

Please take your sweeping generalisations elsewhere.

Oh, and happy Christmas Smiley
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2022, 08:12:50 AM »

Can you maybe have this discussion elsewhere? Can I be made a mod of just this thread to maintain order? I guess we'll never know.

The confidence vote is set for Thursday morning. atm Degel HaTorah are pissed and may skip the vote
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2022, 02:14:21 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2022, 02:03:26 AM by Hnv1 »

The next government:
PM - Bibi
Defence - Yoav Galant (Likud)
Foreign office - still undecided. A possible rotation between Cohn and Katz (Likud) where the other one will be the Energy Minister meanwhile.
Justice - Levine (Likud). sh**t hits the fan
Home office + Health - Deri’i Shas
Education- Yoav Kisch (Likud)
National Security (formerly internal security) - Ben Gvir
Housing - Goldknopf (UTJ)
Agriculture - Dichter (Likud)
Transportation - Regev (Likud)
Communication - Kari’i (Likud)
Immigration - Sofer (RZ)
Welfare - Margi (Shas)
Tourism - Haim Katz (Likud)
Economy - Nir Barkat (Likud)
Environment- Idit Sliman (Likud)
Religious affairs - Malchieli (Shas)

There will be numerous other faux ministries of no importance

Speaker - Ohana (Likud)

Edelstein, Amsalem, Danon and Bitan are out of cabinet and will be a pain in Bibi’s arse in the house.

This is hands down the worst government Israel ever had. There will be blood.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2022, 04:21:52 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2022, 04:35:30 AM by America Needs R'hllor »

The next government:
PM - Bibi
Foreign office - still undecided. A possible rotation between Cohn and Katz (Likud) where the other one will be the Energy Minister meanwhile.
Justice - Levine (Likud). sh**t hits the fan
Home office + Health - Deri’i Shas
National Security (formerly internal security) - Ben Gvir
Immigration - Sofer (RZ)
Welfare - Margi (Shas)

There will be numerous other faux ministries of no importance

Speaker - Ohana (Likud)

Edelstein, Amsalem, Danon and Bitan are out of cabinet and will be a pain in Bibi’s arse in the house.

This is hands down the worst government Israel ever had. There will be blood.

I think we could add Gila Gamliel as a potential pain now that he gave Environment to Silman instead of her, no?

Aside from that, full list including minor Ministries:

PM - Bibi
Treasury (look Hnv, I'm being a good boy) + Minister in the Defense Ministry (West Bank governor) - Smotrich (RZ)
Justice - Levine (Likud)
Home office + Health - Deri’i (Shas)
National Security (formerly internal security) - Ben Gvir (Otzma)
Immigration - Sofer (RZ)
Welfare - Margi (Shas)
Social Equality and Diaspora - Chikli (Likud) - homophobe in charge of gay rights, yay!
Culture and Sports - Miki Zohar (Likud)
Science and Technology - Ofir Akunis (Likud)
Jerusalem and Tradition - Meir Porush (UTJ)
Negev and Galilee - Itzhak Waserlauf (Otzma)
Minister for Heritage Issues - Amichai Eliyahu (Otzma)
"National Missions" Minister - Orit Strook (RZ)
Minister in the PM's office: Galit Distel (Likud), very... charming character
Minister in the Education Ministry: Haim Biton (Shas)
Undecided- Foreign, Energy, Intelligence, Regional Cooperation

Several Deputy Ministers as well: Home and Health (Moshe Arbel, Shas), Agriculture (Moshe Abutbul, Shas), Finance (Michal Waldinger, RZ), Transportation+PM's office (Ori Maklev, UTJ), PM's office (Avi Maoz, Noam).

In the Knesset, Amir Ohana will be Speaker, while Edlestein is rumoured to get the coveted Foreign and Defense committee chairmanship, Simcha Rothman will be the Constitution committee chair (sicko), Shas will have the Health and Education committees, and ofc Gafni from UTJ will be the Finance committee chairman.

EDIT: looking like Bibi is tired of Katz, Eli Cohen said he'll be Foreign Minister.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2022, 04:41:54 AM »

Eli Cohen will be the foreign minister for a year while Katz will take energy, and then they switch. Peak banter from Bibi.

Ron Dremer, the former ambassador to Washington and GOP man, will be made "Minister of Strategic Affairs", while former MK Tzachi Hanegbi will be made head of the national security council. This government is going to push for a hawkish stand, and possibly even armed conflict, with Iran.

By pushing all the relatively independent-minded-though-not-liberal MKs out of cabinet Bibi is causing himself a future headache. I can see someone like Bitan or Gamliel voting against some judicial reforms.

Bibi is taking his presidential perspective to the extreme. From Primus inter pares to president for foreign affairs and bystander in internal affairs.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2022, 05:25:21 AM »

Full list:

PM - Bibi
Treasury (look Hnv, I'm being a good boy) + Minister in the Defense Ministry (West Bank governor) - Smotrich (RZ)
Justice - Levine (Likud)
Home office + Health - Deri’i (Shas)
National Security (formerly internal security) - Ben Gvir (Otzma)
Immigration - Sofer (RZ)
Welfare - Margi (Shas)
Social Equality and Diaspora - Chikli (Likud) - homophobe in charge of gay rights, yay!
Culture and Sports - Miki Zohar (Likud)
Science and Technology - Ofir Akunis (Likud)
Jerusalem and Tradition - Meir Porush (UTJ)
Negev and Galilee - Itzhak Waserlauf (Otzma)
Minister for Heritage Issues - Amichai Eliyahu (Otzma)
"National Missions" Minister - Orit Strook (RZ)
Minister in the PM's office: Galit Distel (Likud), very... charming character
Minister in the Education Ministry: Haim Biton (Shas)
Strategic Affairs - Ron Dermer (GOP)

Several Deputy Ministers as well: Home and Health (Moshe Arbel, Shas), Agriculture (Moshe Abutbul, Shas), Finance (Michal Waldinger, RZ), Transportation+PM's office (Ori Maklev, UTJ), PM's office (Avi Maoz, Noam).

In the Knesset, Amir Ohana will be Speaker, while Edlestein is rumoured to get the coveted Foreign and Defense committee chairmanship, Simcha Rothman will be the Constitution committee chair (sicko), Shas will have the Health and Education committees, and ofc Gafni from UTJ will be the Finance committee chairman.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2022, 06:00:18 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2022, 07:19:48 AM by Hnv1 »

Yariv Levine will get the nominal, but devoid of any real authority, title of Vice PM. Deri'i will be the Deputy PM (likewise devoid of legal power). Bibi was always reluctant to give Likud ministers the title of second in command (Silvan Shalom managed to squeeze it in 2015 in dubious circumstances), but Levine got a significant boost as future heir. Interesting as another speculated heir - Ron Dremer - also entered the fray.

Some ministries are held by "custodians" as Bibi likes to keep a wiggle room to buy off opponents later. Yariv Levine will also be the Minister for the Intelligence Community, Kisch will also begin as the Minister for regional cooperation, and Shikli will be both the Minister for Diaspora Affairs and the Minister for Social Equality.

Edit: Gamliel caved, and will be appoint Minister for the Intelligence Community on Sunday.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2022, 07:28:06 AM »

So it appears that Netanyahu will appoint Gila Gamliel as Intelligence Minister. Honestly I'm confused - she reportedly refused to be Social Equality Minister after Environmental Protection was taken from her, and it's much more influential than Intelligence, a basically meaningless role. She'd have far more influence as a slightly-rebelious MK if she banded with Bitan, Amsalem, Edlestein and Danon to get some concessions.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2022, 10:06:58 AM »

Fun stat- the government will have 4 women out of 32. 3 of them in bullsh**t roles, only Regev in a real Ministry (transportation)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2022, 07:43:03 PM »

In my relative ignorance, Israel has moved to a very bad place, that has the potential if the policies endorsed to form a government sever over time the ties that bind and sustain Israel from the West. Maybe the Israeli government thinks it has a blank check from the West. If so, that might prove to be an incredibly tragic misjudgement for Israel. Where it is going I don't think can stand. It's just so wrong - hubris run wild. And no, Putin, just won't do as a substitute for Israel. He probably has even a shorter half life.

I dissent.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2022, 08:10:49 PM »

In my relative ignorance, Israel has moved to a very bad place, that has the potential if the policies endorsed to form a government sever over time the ties that bind and sustain Israel from the West. Maybe the Israeli government thinks it has a blank check from the West. If so, that might prove to be an incredibly tragic misjudgement for Israel. Where it is going I don't think can stand. It's just so wrong - hubris run wild. And no, Putin, just won't do as a substitute for Israel. He probably has even a shorter half life.

I dissent.
Netanyahu has never given a rats a** what the west thinks of him or his policies. Still doesn't.

If Biden wins re-election, I hope he finally moves the US away from "Always pro-Israel" to actually "Pro peace process" and "Pro real fairness".

Honestly, Biden should just cut off acess to Netanyahu. Make him person no grata to the US but very clear its just him, not Israel.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2022, 08:39:09 PM »

I dissent.
Netanyahu has never given a rats a** what the west thinks of him or his policies. Still doesn't.

If Biden wins re-election, I hope he finally moves the US away from "Always pro-Israel" to actually "Pro peace process" and "Pro real fairness".

Honestly, Biden should just cut off acess to Netanyahu. Make him person no grata to the US but very clear its just him, not Israel.

You can't simply freeze out a country's government for several years without essentially cutting off the country. Especially not when you have relationships with several dictatorships. This government definitely has the prospect to do some bad things, but worse than Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Hungary, just to name three?

Biden's hands are largely tied by the fallout from Obama's strike against Israel at the UN in the dying days of his administration.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2022, 09:32:09 PM »

I dissent.

You can't simply freeze out a country's government for several years without essentially cutting off the country. Especially not when you have relationships with several dictatorships. This government definitely has the prospect to do some bad things, but worse than Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Hungary, just to name three?

Biden's hands are largely tied by the fallout from Obama's strike against Israel at the UN in the dying days of his administration.
Biden has been the most norm shattering president in a generation. From reconizing the Armenian genocide to pulling out of Afghanistan. His presidency has been vearing towards what is right, not politically expediedent.

My hopes aren't high, but if there WAS a President who could finally move the US away from Israel, it would be a second term Biden.

What would he risk? Dude isn't going to try to get a lobbying gig or boardroom job after the White House lol
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2022, 09:49:02 PM »

I dissent.

Biden has been the most norm shattering president in a generation. From reconizing the Armenian genocide to pulling out of Afghanistan. His presidency has been vearing towards what is right, not politically expediedent.

My hopes aren't high, but if there WAS a President who could finally move the US away from Israel, it would be a second term Biden.

What would he risk? Dude isn't going to try to get a lobbying gig or boardroom job after the White House lol

If you want to start a cold war with one of the US' longest-term allies, responsible for many of the greatest military tech innovations in the world, then we are not remotely on the same page and thankfully Joe Biden has no interest in that.

And to be clear, if he took things too far to endanger that relationship long-term, he would be stopped by his own party.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2022, 09:53:34 PM »

I dissent.

We don't agree on everything here, but you're right on one thing - I'm pretty sure Netanyahu knows he can't replace the US with anyone else. Particularly not Putin. As an "ally", Putin is a cruel parasite who bleeds his vassals dry and protects them as long as they're useful.

I imagine if there are any true red lines for Biden/the US, they'll be made very clear quickly and Netanyahu will quietly back down.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2022, 11:49:49 PM »

I dissent.

If you want to start a cold war with one of the US' longest-term allies, responsible for many of the greatest military tech innovations in the world, then we are not remotely on the same page and thankfully Joe Biden has no interest in that.

And to be clear, if he took things too far to endanger that relationship long-term, he would be stopped by his own party.

I dissent.

We don't agree on everything here, but you're right on one thing - I'm pretty sure Netanyahu knows he can't replace the US with anyone else. Particularly not Putin. As an "ally", Putin is a cruel parasite who bleeds his vassals dry and protects them as long as they're useful.

I imagine if there are any true red lines for Biden/the US, they'll be made very clear quickly and Netanyahu will quietly back down.
You statements are contradictory

In your first post, you claim that Biden pushing hard on a far right government led by Netanuahu would result in a cold war between Israel and the US.

In your second post, you claim that Israel can not replace the US as its most powerful backer and would back down from real red lines.

I don't think a "cold war" would occur. When Natanyahu was removed from power last year, Lapid's main argument was how he was damaging the US relationship. Israel needs the US, the US doesn't need Israel (although Israel would probably continue as is).

You are right that if Biden moves too far, his own party might buck him. Its like when Democratic senators from New York and New Jersey voted aganist Obama's Iran deal. And the pushback from the US not vetoring the UN resolution in Dec 2016.

But the Democratic Party of 2023 is far more aware of Israel's abuses compared to 2015. And several senators, inculding NJ Bob Menedez, has come out aganist possible abuses by the new Israeli cabinet.

I don't know if Netanyahu cares about "red lines" anymore. He is 72 and wants to avoid prison time. He needs his far right allies to change the law. What does he give them?

If anything, the one big thing stopping something crazy is the potenial opening of relations with Saudi Arabia. Netanyahu wants this bad, no way this happens if he annexes the West Bank.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2022, 09:13:26 AM »

If this is the wrong thread for this, along with my other post here for that matter, and the responses (yes I did read the chastisements), someone can move it. It is not as if there is another thread that is readily visible, at least to me, and the idea of starting a new thread, on a board that I don’t feel really comfortable in in any event, seems inappropriate.

Anyway, it seems to already being hitting the fan, with whatever degree of seriousness I guess remains to be seen. One question I have, is about this chat about expelling Israeli Arabs (to where I don’t know). Is that a policy that is in real play, and being seriously considered? If that happens, that seems to be a real breaking point to me, vis a vis the West, including in particular the US, and it should be. But maybe the chat is just that, and not in serious play. Anyone have any informed opinions on that point? A codicil is what is the fate of the West Bank Arabs who don’t even have the status of being Israeli citizens sitting on land where their presence is unwanted.

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2022/12/29/695382/Biden--US-will-oppose-Israeli-policies-that-endanger-two-state-solution

https://thehill.com/policy/international/3791455-us-rabbis-warn-of-irreparable-harm-from-new-israeli-government/

And the NYT has this among other things:

“ … more than a hundred retired Israeli ambassadors and senior Foreign Ministry officials took the extraordinary step of signing a letter to Mr. Netanyahu this week expressing their “profound concern” at the potential harm to Israel’s strategic relations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/29/world/middleeast/israel-netanyahu-government-swearing-in.html?searchResultPosition=3
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2022, 09:19:48 AM »

If this is the wrong thread for this, along with my other post here for that matter, and the responses (yes I did read the chastisements), someone can move it. It is not as if there is another thread that is readily visible, at least to me, and the idea of starting a new thread, on a board that I don’t feel really comfortable in in any event, seems inappropriate.

Anyway, it seems to already being hitting the fan, with whatever degree of seriousness I guess remains to be seen. One question I have, is about this chat about expelling Israeli Arabs (to where I don’t know). Is that a policy that is in real play, and being seriously considered? If that happens, that seems to be a real breaking point to me, vis a vis the West, including in particular the US, and it should be. But maybe the chat is just that, and not in serious play. Anyone have any informed opinions on that point? A codicil is what is the fate of the West Bank Arabs who don’t even have the status of being Israeli citizens sitting on land where their presence is unwanted.

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2022/12/29/695382/Biden--US-will-oppose-Israeli-policies-that-endanger-two-state-solution

https://thehill.com/policy/international/3791455-us-rabbis-warn-of-irreparable-harm-from-new-israeli-government/

“ … more than a hundred retired Israeli ambassadors and senior Foreign Ministry officials took the extraordinary step of signing a letter to Mr. Netanyahu this week expressing their “profound concern” at the potential harm to Israel’s strategic relations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/29/world/middleeast/israel-netanyahu-government-swearing-in.html?searchResultPosition=3

Just from talking to the people I know there, no, I don't believe expelling Israeli Arabs is remotely on the table. That would almost definitely collapse the coalition immediately, for good reason.

My suspicion is that the worst part of this administration will be the sociopath caucus frequently making ridiculous threats and proposals that will keep the government in a constant state of controversy and dispute with its allies.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2022, 09:28:21 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2022, 09:40:49 AM by Torie »

Just from talking to the people I know there, no, I don't believe expelling Israeli Arabs is remotely on the table. That would almost definitely collapse the coalition immediately, for good reason.

My suspicion is that the worst part of this administration will be the sociopath caucus frequently making ridiculous threats and proposals that will keep the government in a constant state of controversy and dispute with its allies.

Are you referring there to a caucus in Israel or a Pub caucus?  Grumpy

Thank you for the response.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2022, 09:52:42 AM »

From what I've been reading it seems people think that this government could actually last the whole time it is supposed to last. This seems strange to me since A) the only thing Bibi's government seem to have in common is being utterly atrocious bigoted clowns, and their majority isn't that much bigger than the various 2018-2022 circus governments and B) Israeli politics seems to be generally unstable.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2022, 10:30:23 AM »

From what I've been reading it seems people think that this government could actually last the whole time it is supposed to last. This seems strange to me since A) the only thing Bibi's government seem to have in common is being utterly atrocious bigoted clowns, and their majority isn't that much bigger than the various 2018-2022 circus governments and B) Israeli politics seems to be generally unstable.

This is something I have also been sceptical of from the start - and surprised so many others aren't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies