Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 06:25:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis  (Read 33978 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2023, 01:49:09 PM »

I'm sure that Israel will be better off going forward with no meaningful left presence at all, yeah Roll Eyes
The zionist left, in its current form, has no room in politics. It has no agenda to promote to its voters on any issue, from the Conflict to the economy.

Yes, they have to go to make room for new organizations.

Disclaimer: I have spent most of the last three decades as a Meretz activist. They're done.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2023, 05:48:48 AM »

I'm sure that Israel will be better off going forward with no meaningful left presence at all, yeah Roll Eyes
The zionist left, in its current form, has no room in politics. It has no agenda to promote to its voters on any issue, from the Conflict to the economy.

Yes, they have to go to make room for new organizations.

Disclaimer: I have spent most of the last three decades as a Meretz activist. They're done.

Also worth noting that there will always be left wing voters (and zionist left wing voters specifically). Their existence is not depending on the institutions of the parties that represent them. The parties and their MKs won't simply disappear and I don't want them to, but I do want them to transform into something new, not beholden to the old institutions.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2023, 10:23:09 AM »

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but the other day I noticed that the only Druze member of the current Knesset, Hamad Amar, belongs to Yisrael Beiteinu, which sounds... unusual. Could any of the Israeli posters say something more about him? And perhaps about Druze voting patterns in general. Thanks!
Logical

« Reply #203 on: March 04, 2023, 02:48:10 PM »

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but the other day I noticed that the only Druze member of the current Knesset, Hamad Amar, belongs to Yisrael Beiteinu, which sounds... unusual. Could any of the Israeli posters say something more about him? And perhaps about Druze voting patterns in general. Thanks!
I made a big effort post on minority voting results for the last election in the IE board thread.
Eilabun - 2.7k votes (Christian-Druze)
Hadash - 39.91%
Balad - 18.3%
Ra'am - 12.43%
Meretz - 11.24%
YA - 6.16%
Likud - 5.04%
Statist - 3.52%
Labor - 1.45%

Daliyat al-Karmel - 7.2k votes (Druze)
Statist - 54.88%
YB - 15.79%
YA - 11.39%
Meretz - 5.19%
Likud - 3.16%
Hadash - 2.78%
Labor - 2.63%
Ra'am - 1.2%

Isfiya - 4.8k votes (Druze)
Statist - 32.15%
YB - 17.51%
Balad - 11.18%
YA - 8.85%
Meretz - 8.5%
Hadash - 7.62%
Ra'am - 5.62%
Likud - 3.35%
Labor - 2.82%

Yarka - 5.7k votes (Druze)
Likud - 34.43%
Statist - 22.61%
YB - 15.68%
Meretz - 7.44%
Hadash - 7.2%
YA - 6.5%
Ra'am - 2.06%
Labor - 1.19%

Beit Jann - 4.8k votes (Druze)
Meretz - 61.59%
Statist - 9.77%
YB - 8.57%
Labor - 5.96%
Likud - 5.69%
YA - 3.5%
Hadash - 1.55%
Ra'am - 1.14%

Kisra-Sumei 1.9k votes (Druze)
Statist - 39.79%
YB - 16.76%
Likud - 9.77%
YA - 9.25%
Meretz - 7.46%
Labor - 4.68%
Hadash - 3.44%
Balad - 3.08%

The Statists (Gantz + Sa'ar) outperformed here and one can easily imagine why the Druze would vote for a military man.The Meretz strength in Beit Jann can be explained by #4 in their list being a local.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2023, 01:48:56 AM »

I made a big effort post on minority voting results for the last election in the IE board thread.
Eilabun - 2.7k votes (Christian-Druze)
Hadash - 39.91%
Balad - 18.3%
Ra'am - 12.43%
Meretz - 11.24%
YA - 6.16%
Likud - 5.04%
Statist - 3.52%
Labor - 1.45%

Daliyat al-Karmel - 7.2k votes (Druze)
Statist - 54.88%
YB - 15.79%
YA - 11.39%
Meretz - 5.19%
Likud - 3.16%
Hadash - 2.78%
Labor - 2.63%
Ra'am - 1.2%

Isfiya - 4.8k votes (Druze)
Statist - 32.15%
YB - 17.51%
Balad - 11.18%
YA - 8.85%
Meretz - 8.5%
Hadash - 7.62%
Ra'am - 5.62%
Likud - 3.35%
Labor - 2.82%

Yarka - 5.7k votes (Druze)
Likud - 34.43%
Statist - 22.61%
YB - 15.68%
Meretz - 7.44%
Hadash - 7.2%
YA - 6.5%
Ra'am - 2.06%
Labor - 1.19%

Beit Jann - 4.8k votes (Druze)
Meretz - 61.59%
Statist - 9.77%
YB - 8.57%
Labor - 5.96%
Likud - 5.69%
YA - 3.5%
Hadash - 1.55%
Ra'am - 1.14%

Kisra-Sumei 1.9k votes (Druze)
Statist - 39.79%
YB - 16.76%
Likud - 9.77%
YA - 9.25%
Meretz - 7.46%
Labor - 4.68%
Hadash - 3.44%
Balad - 3.08%

The Statists (Gantz + Sa'ar) outperformed here and one can easily imagine why the Druze would vote for a military man.The Meretz strength in Beit Jann can be explained by #4 in their list being a local.
Looking at the results without context makes you think there's some ideological drive here. In reality the Druze aren't that dissimilar from other Arab groups in Israel where the vast majority vote according to the family's dictum. back in the days Labour was the strongest force there with the backing of the Tarif family - de facto leaders of the sect in Israel. As Labour was locked out of government other forces began to operate and now you can see Druze voting to a variety of parties but all according to family connections to some candidate.

Lets compare Beit Jann between April and September of 2019

April:
Meretz 64.84%
B&W 19.07%
Labour 3.94%
Likud 3.25%
YB 2.35%

September:
Labour 40.74%
B&W 37.25%
YB 9.74%
Likud 4.85%
JL 3.45%
Democratic Union (Meretz and extras) 2.76%

Stark change! what changed? Alli Salalha who was high up on Meretz list in April was pushed down in September so the voters went to other parties who did deals with Druze leaders.

Very little ideology there. There are some "free" voters in the Druze settlements closer to Haifa, and the Druze Action Committee that operate within Hadash. That's about it.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2023, 03:55:24 PM »

Israelis - where do you see these protests going? Do you think it'll stop the bill?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2023, 05:33:26 PM »

I wonder what Tony Blinken is telling the Israeli government behind closed doors.

So many governments around the world seem to be going "bad" at once at present. (Biden replacing Trump being an exception of course.)

The thing is, is that one of the two major parties in the US probably likes the shift in Israel. And that is a problem. It is tough to fashion a national foreign policy on various issues with a substantial consensus.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2023, 10:49:07 PM »

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2023, 12:01:34 AM »

Since the most right-wing Israeli's are usually the ultra-religious who also don't serve in the military does that mean that Israel's military is actually likely more centrist/center-left than the rest of the country?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2023, 12:47:44 AM »

Israelis - where do you see these protests going? Do you think it'll stop the bill?
They might work very well. Bibi is chickensh**t. He might get cold feet if he senses they're getting too powerful.
They definitely give the SC more legitimacy in striking them down as unconstitutional and the military legitimacy to refuse to obey the government.

The dire reality is that Bibi would rather stop right now but he has no leverages with his coalition partners and that weasel Levine.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2023, 01:45:18 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2023, 12:57:49 AM by Hnv1 »

Since the most right-wing Israeli's are usually the ultra-religious who also don't serve in the military does that mean that Israel's military is actually likely more centrist/center-left than the rest of the country?
In crude terms, no, as the effect you describe is canceled out by a large Arab minority to the left.

The truth is that being a conscription-based military means, the IDF very much carries the social divisions of outside society. Different units exhibit different social traits. While the IAF and the Navy are somewhat more centre-left tilting, the infantry brigades tilt more to the right. The social strata replicate themselves into military strata, e.g., the pilots are more to the centre-left and the airplane technicians more to right.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2023, 04:23:17 PM »

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/politics-and-diplomacy/article-733895

So Ben-Gvir removed the police commander of Tel Aviv and is claiming that it was totally pre-planned.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2023, 08:27:50 AM »

So Ben-Gvir removed the police commander of Tel Aviv and is claiming that it was totally pre-planned.

This police commander got attacked by Ben Gvir for not oppressing the protestors hard enough, of course. He wanted to see blood.
Aaand the attorney general now froze this decision, saying it might be illegal or improper. Constitutional crisis getting closer and closer.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2023, 10:59:32 AM »

This police commander got attacked by Ben Gvir for not oppressing the protestors hard enough, of course. He wanted to see blood.
Aaand the attorney general now froze this decision, saying it might be illegal or improper. Constitutional crisis getting closer and closer.

According to Haaretz, police chief Shabtai told the Attorney General that Ben Gvir forced his hand on the decision. If true, this should be a gigantic scandal.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2023, 04:42:45 AM »

According to Haaretz, police chief Shabtai told the Attorney General that Ben Gvir forced his hand on the decision. If true, this should be a gigantic scandal.
It doesn’t really matter anymore. We all know we’re heading to crisis where the court strikes down the reform. This is just the sh**thousry before the storm.

I hope the future military administration will punish Ben Gvir
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2023, 05:00:27 AM »

It doesn’t really matter anymore. We all know we’re heading to crisis where the court strikes down the reform. This is just the sh**thousry before the storm.

Future military administration?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2023, 09:06:33 AM »

Joking(?) about the imminent military coup
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2023, 06:56:27 PM »

What would you place the odds of a military coup at between "Centrist wins in Northern Europe" and "Tuesday in Burkina Faso"?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2023, 03:17:47 AM »

What would you place the odds of a military coup at between "Centrist wins in Northern Europe" and "Tuesday in Burkina Faso"?
I think I was really from the first people to say it is starting to become a possibility going back to 2019 (I can't be bothered with searching now but my hunch was were heading there after he failed to form a government in May 2019).
The odds kept increasing.

After yesterday I think the odds increased dramatically to 30-40%.

As I see it, he would rather the SC and military stop him and turn him into a martyr then to stop it by himself and lose face with the base. He's just thinking on the best possible collision atm.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2023, 03:31:48 AM »

I think I was really from the first people to say it is starting to become a possibility going back to 2019 (I can't be bothered with searching now but my hunch was were heading there after he failed to form a government in May 2019).

As I see it, he would rather the SC and military stop him and turn him into a martyr then to stop it by himself and lose face with the base. He's just thinking on the best possible collision atm.

So, either way, he probably doesn't make it a full four years?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2023, 03:55:30 AM »

So, either way, he probably doesn't make it a full four years?
At this rate I don't see them making it to July.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2023, 12:27:14 PM »

Some big protests again last night, this government isn't having it all their own way for sure.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2023, 12:49:46 AM »

President Herzog published his offer - dubbed the People's Draft, which is basically a constitution, and a decent one so the right immediately rejected it.

I'm not sure what Herzog is playing at, it's clear this is not what he negotiated with the right for weeks, so if he published the draft leaning to the liberal side he must have aimed at something.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2023, 08:54:44 AM »

Is this level of political intervention normal for an Israeli president?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2023, 10:20:24 AM »

Is this level of political intervention normal for an Israeli president?

I think they have made "political" statements in the past, so yes to at least an extent.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies