Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:40:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: Annus Horribilis  (Read 32592 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2023, 03:29:07 PM »

I was watching last night an interview with this very articulate history professor at U of M knowledgeable about Israel, and he did not expect much of the planned Blinken visit to Israel. He expected him to mouth platitudes about a two state solution, and so forth, that is dead in the water. I then looked up what happened with the Blinken trip. It appears next to nothing. Does anyone have an opinion of what he accomplished, and the impact of the visit, other than the null set, and mouthing of platitudes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pA23q4eZ8

The Americans have no policy minus worthless platitudes and sticking their heads in the sand. Well at least in terms of this administration/party.

Withhold US aids.

Let see how far Israel go before it starts begging for our money.
The point I'm making is they won't withhold any aid regardless of what this government does.

Starting to think this may not be true indefinitely after all.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2023, 08:35:47 AM »

Panels Politics poll: (compared with the last poll)

27 Yesh Atid (nc)
26 Likud (-5)
19 National Unity (+4)
10 Shas (+1)
  7 Otzma Yehudit (-1)
  7 UTJ (nc)
  5 RZP (nc)
  5 Yisrael Beiteinu (nc)
  5 Labor (+1)
  5 Hadash–Ta'al (+1)
  4 Meretz (-1)

55 Netanyahu Cabinet (-5)
55 Yesh Atid+National Unity+Labor+Meretz (+4)
  5 Yisrael Beiteinu (nc)
  5 Hadash–Ta'al (+1)

https://twitter.com/ElectsWorld/status/1629428939725631490
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2023, 11:12:47 AM »

Meretz reaching the threshold clearly does make a significant difference, despite their small size now.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2023, 02:13:53 PM »

Will there be a shred of accountability now that their god leader is running things or...?
https://www.timesofisrael.com/settlers-said-to-rampage-in-huwara-after-deadly-attack-set-fire-to-cars-and-homes/
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2023, 02:33:07 PM »

Is there any chance Otzma’s overreach will create a backlash that can bring the whole of the right down?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2023, 05:42:55 PM »

Is there any chance Otzma’s overreach will create a backlash that can bring the whole of the right down?

Sure -- at the moment the government is pretty unpopular and is not doing well at the polls. That said, there is no election expected until 2026, and under the present electoral laws which tiny parties hit the threshold and which don't can overwhelm even decently-sized swings.

If an election were somehow forced right now, though, you would expect Bibi to lose. But there are like 3 more years to go.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2023, 07:07:53 PM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2023, 09:52:42 PM »

Okay, I've had it. Cut off all aid to this regime, and start imposing sanctions. Decades upon decades of illegal military occupation were already bad, but if members of the Israeli government are openly supportive of what is by any reasonable definition acts of terrorism against Palestinian people, then it is unquestionably time for the United States to stop being gentle here and start laying down some meaningful consequences. Enough with the statements of "concern" - we need real action before this spirals even further out of control.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2023, 12:30:50 AM »

I'm sorry but at some point it has got to be time for America to put its foot down. Thanks to our inaction the two state solution is dead. If nothing changes Palestine itself may be next.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2023, 01:33:04 AM »

If Israel chooses to leave the ranks of democracies, it should no longer be treated as a democracy, with fascist thugs like Smotrich & Ben Gvir in the government they’ve done so. I’ve been a supporter of Israel all my life and it pains me to say it but I can’t defend them anymore, it’s incumbent on America & the West to take concrete action if they won’t step back from the brink.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2023, 02:06:22 AM »

The government response ranged from "we understand the anger but taking the law into your hands is bad" (Bibi, Gallant) to liking a tweet supporting this then issuing a meek condemnation (Smotrich) to silence and implicit support (Ben Gvir).

MK Tzvi Fogel (Otzma) openly praised the pogrom in Huwarah and says he "likes to see it", several RZ MKs join lawless settlers in taking over a settlement the IDF has already cleared several times, Minister Ben Gvir set to give statement on in a few hours from said illegal settlement and hasn't commented on the pogrom yet.

This is extremely, extremely grim. The blood of both Jews and Arabs is on the settler's hands. At this point I don't even care about bibi's corruption, I just want a unity government without RZ that, while I won't support it politically, will at least bring calm and reach an agreement on settlement construction freeze with the Americans. I'm not willing to die for these people.
○∙◄☻Ątπ[╪AV┼cVę└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2023, 02:13:29 AM »

I'm sorry but at some point it has got to be time for America to put its foot down. Thanks to our inaction the two state solution is dead. If nothing changes Palestine itself may be next.

Sadly Kamala Harris said Biden supports Israel unconditionally. Even spineless Obama was more willing to stand up to Israel than Biden.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2023, 07:30:00 AM »

What, she said that in the last 24 hours?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2023, 10:50:19 AM »

This government is going to fall by the end of June. Mark my words.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2023, 11:20:51 AM »

Sure -- at the moment the government is pretty unpopular and is not doing well at the polls. That said, there is no election expected until 2026, and under the present electoral laws which tiny parties hit the threshold and which don't can overwhelm even decently-sized swings.

If an election were somehow forced right now, though, you would expect Bibi to lose. But there are like 3 more years to go.

Yes, contemporary Israeli governments are durable, it's not like they've had almost an election every year recently.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2023, 12:58:40 PM »

Where's the will for it though? I can't see any party who would gain:
- Likud are in power, and might very well lose a re-do
- The haredim can't realistically expect any better outcome than this government
- RZ can't expect any better jobs, authorities and offices than they have in this government

Who will break the government?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2023, 01:54:55 PM »

Bibi, as far-right as he is, always seemed like a credible leader and not a tin-pot autocrat. Cracking down on these terror militias is one of the most important tasks he's ever had. And if that means Ben-Gvir and co. break from the coalition, some of the moderate parties need to swallow their pride and form a temporary coalition.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2023, 02:16:29 PM »

Bibi, as far-right as he is, always seemed like a credible leader and not a tin-pot autocrat. Cracking down on these terror militias is one of the most important tasks he's ever had. And if that means Ben-Gvir and co. break from the coalition, some of the moderate parties need to swallow their pride and form a temporary coalition.

This is a fascinating take considering that Netanyahu's primary goal right now is to dismantle the courts so that corrupt convicts like Deri can serve in the government and so that the Arab parties can be banned from the Knesset.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2023, 02:22:21 PM »

- The haredim can't realistically expect any better outcome than this government
- RZ can't expect any better jobs, authorities and offices than they have in this government

Either Ben Gvir skips to play the “they held my hands and I couldn’t deal with terror”, or they simply can’t pass a budget considering the insane amounts the Haredi and Ben Gvir demand with the rest of the budgetary commitments. Together with the growing protests and intensifying economic situation they will simply disintegrate trying to pass a budget.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2023, 02:35:10 PM »

Either Ben Gvir skips to play the “they held my hands and I couldn’t deal with terror”, or they simply can’t pass a budget considering the insane amounts the Haredi and Ben Gvir demand with the rest of the budgetary commitments. Together with the growing protests and intensifying economic situation they will simply disintegrate trying to pass a budget.

Will do the closest a non-religious man can do to praying for this.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2023, 03:19:00 PM »

This is a fascinating take considering that Netanyahu's primary goal right now is to dismantle the courts so that corrupt convicts like Deri can serve in the government and so that the Arab parties can be banned from the Knesset.

He still likes to present himself as the face of "rule of law". I don't think he can afford to become the Prime Minister of violent outlaw vigilantes.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2023, 04:48:45 PM »

Avi Maoz, Noam's sole MK resigned from his government role in charge of immigration from the former Soviet Union
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2023, 02:08:57 AM »

Just want to remind you all that if Michaeli was a not a sociopath egomaniac and ran with Meretz together the current government on 61-2 seats would have been in a dead lock now.

She's done.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »

Just want to remind you all that if Michaeli was a not a sociopath egomaniac and ran with Meretz together the current government on 61-2 seats would have been in a dead lock now.

She's done.

More than that- Labor is done (and Meretz as well). At least, done running separately. hopefully done as parties generally.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2023, 10:08:27 AM »

I'm sure that Israel will be better off going forward with no meaningful left presence at all, yeah Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies