Homosexual content in movies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:54:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Homosexual content in movies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should they be treated any different from heterosexual content in ratings?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Homosexual content in movies  (Read 12462 times)
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

Two men kissing is gross, but two women kissing isn't.  Hard to explain, most people think it's a double standard (and I used to), but then I realized it's just the way things are.

Or acquiesced.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »

if the kissing is obviously sensual (e.g. tongue action), then I think it is inappropriate for a G rated movie.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

What can one say about a thread like this?  But it is interesting that Jesus used the story of Sodom and Gomorrah to paint a picture of the future state of the world immediately prior to his return.  This thread is simply another sign that day is rapidly approaching.

Yes, we've definitely become so uncivilized since the good old days when people were burned at the stake for having the wrong set of beliefs or because we thought that the person was a witch.

Well, I don't recall a lot of people objecting to pictures of Saddam with a noose around his neck on all the news shows. Personally, I found that disgusting. But what do I know?
Violence Good!
Sex Bad!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 12:55:59 PM »

Yes, we've definitely become so uncivilized since the good old days when people were burned at the stake for having the wrong set of beliefs or because we thought that the person was a witch.

Gee, while your at it, why don’t you blame Jesus for the Chicago Fire of 1871?

Don't you believe that Jesus is omnipotent?
What can one say about a thread like this?  But it is interesting that Jesus used the story of Sodom and Gomorrah to paint a picture of the future state of the world immediately prior to his return.  This thread is simply another sign that day is rapidly approaching.

Well, I don't recall a lot of people objecting to pictures of Saddam with a noose around his neck on all the news shows. Personally, I found that disgusting. But what do I know?
Violence Good!
Sex Bad!

And you mention this because you saw pictures of Saddam's hanging in a G rated movie?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »

I might do that if I were, uh, blaming Jesus for anything at all...

I don't really know what that statement is supposed to mean.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 01:00:24 PM »

Romans 16:16   Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of
Christ greet you.

1 Corinthians 16:20   All the brethren greet you. Greet one another with
a holy kiss.

2 Corinthians 13:12   Greet one another with a holy kiss.

1 Thessalonians 5:26   Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss.

why do you feel this is relevant to what is being discussed? 

Yes, I think it is a no brainer that is all right for two people to kiss each other.  Why anyone would object, is beyond me. In fact, I seem to recall Timmy hugging his dog Lassie. Would it have mattered if Lassie was a boy dog?

uhm, Lassie was a boy dog.  All the cast Lassie dogs were male, playing female parts.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »

Violence Good!
Sex Bad!

And you mention this because you saw pictures of Saddam's hanging in a G rated movie?
No I didn't see pictures of his hanging; I saw pictures of him with a noose around his neck.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 01:03:13 PM »

Violence Good!
Sex Bad!

No I didn't see pictures of his hanging; I saw pictures of him with a noose around his neck.

...in a G rated movie?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »

Violence Good!
Sex Bad!

...in a G rated movie?
On the news.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »

In theory and based on what the ratings are stated to mean, no.

But the point of a G rating is basically to say "there is nothing here that anyone would find offensive whatsoever".  That would not be the case with two guys kissing, sadly enough, so the fact that they receive PG-13 ratings is more a sign of the times than anything else.

Through this line of thought any movies with religious content should be rated higher, because it could offend people like opebo.

opebo represents so small a segment of the population as to be insignifiant.  This is not true of the segment of the population who would be offended by two guys kissing.

Atheists make up around 10% of the population, not insignificant.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »

But the point of a G rating is basically to say "there is nothing here that anyone would find offensive whatsoever".  That would not be the case with two guys kissing, sadly enough, so the fact that they receive PG-13 ratings is more a sign of the times than anything else.

Through this line of thought any movies with religious content should be rated higher, because it could offend people like opebo.

opebo represents so small a segment of the population as to be insignifiant.  This is not true of the segment of the population who would be offended by two guys kissing.

Atheists make up around 10% of the population, not insignificant.

How many of those 10% would get offended by relgious content to the same degree of the people getting offended by two guys kissing?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »

I might do that if I were, uh, blaming Jesus for anything at all...

I don't really know what that statement is supposed to mean.

sorry, I thought you were equating having moral standards with persecution.

Now I see you were saying that the world has gotten better in the last several hundred years in that less people are put to death for their beliefs…but I believe that is a temporary improvement.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2007, 01:17:55 PM by nclib »

I vote 'no'.

As far as movie ratings go, another unfortunate double standard is how violence is much less likely to get more restrictive ratings than sex.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »

sorry, I thought you were equating having moral standards with persecution.

Now I see you were saying that the world has gotten better in the last several hundred years in that less people are put to death for their beliefs…but I believe that is a temporary improvement.

Well, in that case, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I vote 'no'.

As far as movie ratings go, another unfortunate double standard is how violence is much more likely to get more restrictive ratings than sex.

I think you mean "less likely", and I totally agree.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 01:18:53 PM »

...in a G rated movie?
On the news.

but we're not talking about the news, we're talking about movies

and IMO, the local TV news in Houston would deserve a PG-13 rating if it were a movie
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »

I vote 'no'.

As far as movie ratings go, another unfortunate double standard is how violence is much more likely to get more restrictive ratings than sex.

Yes. Corrected.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2007, 01:25:07 PM by SoFA Gabu »

I vote 'no'.

Yes. Corrected.

Anyways, yes.  I remember hearing a funny thing that said that showing an explicit depiction of sex between a married couple would get your film an NC-17 rating.  Conversely, showing an explicit depiction of a spouse being murdered would only get your film an R rating.  I'll never understand why violent, destructive acts are deemed more okay for children than a completely natural human activity between two people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »

if the kissing is obviously sensual (e.g. tongue action), then I think it is inappropriate for a G rated movie.

Which one?  Two gents or breeders?

Btw, I don't particularly like tongue action. 
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »

Anyways, yes.  I remember hearing a funny thing I heard that said that showing an explicit depiction of sex between a married couple would get your film an NC-17 rating.  Conversely, showing an explicit depiction of a spouse being murdered would only get your film an R rating.  I'll never understand why violent, destructive acts are deemed more okay for children than a completely natural human activity between two people.

I see no redeeming value whatsoever in watching two people have sex.

But there is value, IMO, to the beach storming scene in Private Ryan.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 07:17:32 PM »

But the point of a G rating is basically to say "there is nothing here that anyone would find offensive whatsoever".  That would not be the case with two guys kissing.

I agree with this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »

Do they even make G movies anymore? It seems like only CGI kids movies get PG today. Everything else is PG-13 or R.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 12:06:41 AM »

No

Sex is a part of life.  It's a culmination of love and passion, and isn't that great fodder for a movie?

That's kind of like saying, "what's the point of movies?  You're just watching what happens in life."
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 01:15:33 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2007, 01:17:25 AM by Ebowed »

No.

What if it's essential to the storyline?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 01:34:24 AM »

But there is value, IMO, to the beach storming scene in Private Ryan.

Such valuations are completely subjective, jmfcst.  You hate sex, I like it.  So, I'll watch sex, and you watch something else.

Isn't that reasonable?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 02:48:18 AM »

Well it seems from the "gross" and "yucky" comments in here that it seems to be populated by 14 year olds.

In the streets, I am non-discriminatory,  I hate seeing PDAs from anyone.

For the juveniles in here, I'm straight, but don't find the idea of seeing two men or two women kissing passionately in anyway disgusting or gross.

I would rather my child saw two people who love each other expressing that love, than seeing to people attack each other in hate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies