RISK Mission II: Finished!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Mission II: Finished!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: RISK Mission II: Finished!  (Read 24948 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »
« edited: March 03, 2007, 04:04:09 PM by Joe Republic »

Welcome to a new game of 'RISK Mission'!  Six generals will battle it out to out-maneuver their opponents and complete a secret objective before they do; using strategy, smarts, brute strength, and a healthy dose of 'risk'.

The six generals who will be playing in this game are (in alphabetical order): Bullmoose88, Ernest, Gabu, Hughento, Josh22 and MAS117.  The winner will be permitted to stay on and defend their championship title in the next game.

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.

The map

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 50 states of the US.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

The red lines signify a border that doesn't already exist between two states.  For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'), and there is a border between Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania (check a map; it's there).

Here is the map showing the layout and value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Starting the game

Due to the nature of this game, the states will be distributed randomly.  (I realize that I also gave you a choice on this before I then realized that it couldn't work any other way; luckily most of you voted this way anyway.)

Before the deployments will be made, you'll be sent your secret mission by PM.  You may then deploy your battalions based on your individual objective, if you wish.

All players will be given 25 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.  Those who played in or followed the original games I ran should be familiar with it already.

Basically, all you need to do in this stage is post how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.  On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.  If your attack order is to "do or die", then there will be no retreat and the maximum number of battalions will be left in the conquered state.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card contains a state seal (which represents one state on the map), and a figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  There is one card for each state (i.e. 50) and two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen; three cavalry; three cannons; or one of each.  The values of the sets will also be voted on by the players at the start of the game, which will be explained in the next post.

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that depicts the seal of a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed on that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make a set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state seal on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Missions

As mentioned earlier, missions are distributed to all six players at the start of the game by PM.  You must keep your mission secret while playing, and you may divulge it at the end of the game if you wish.

Each mission is different from each other, which means that all players will have different (and opposing) objectives.

If by the end of your turn you have fulfilled all objectives of your mission, you have won the game. Cool

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2007, 06:20:56 PM by Joebot »

Sorry for the delay. Smiley

First instructions

Check your inboxes if you haven't already, because you should have received your secret mission by now.  Remember that you need to keep it a secret throughout the entire game.

Based on the votes I received for how the cards will be valued when trading them in, the majority of you have decided to stick with fixed values.

Without further ado, here's the first map with each player being given randomly distributed states:

The next step is for you all to decide how you want your initial 25 battalions to be deployed.

When deciding where to put your 25 battalions, don't forget to allow for at least 1 to be placed in each state you control.

Please post your deployments here.

This stage will also be determining the order of turns as well.  So while those who post first will get to play first, those who post last will be able to strategize their deployments based on what the others before them have decided to do.  So the decision is yours. Wink

If a post is edited, the time at which the last edit was made will be used to determine the order of your turn.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:45:06 PM »

2 in each State except Texas where the remainder will go.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »

Also doing the math here while deploying

1 in each state (Cool=17 armies remaining

Additionally
4 in Vermont=14R
3 in New York=11R
3 in Conn=8R
3 in Oregon=5R
2 in Wisconsin=3 R
3 in Wyoming=0R

Check my maths on that. Sincerely GWB
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »

Put 4 in WV, MD, DE, IL; put 3 in NH, ME; 1 in AL, Ok, AR
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »

Uh, I could have sworn I posted my deployment stuff immediately after bullmoose's post yesterday...

Anyway, 1 in each state, save for MN and IA.  10 in MN, 9 in IA.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 01:17:40 PM »

Also doing the math here while deploying

1 in each state (8 )=17 armies remaining

Additionally
4 in Vermont=14R
3 in New York=11R
3 in Conn=8R
3 in Oregon=5R
2 in Wisconsin=3 R
3 in Wyoming=0R

Check my maths on that. Sincerely GWB

(1*8 ) + 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 26.

26 ≠ 25.

Sad
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 02:35:32 PM »

1 each in MA, SD, RI, Michigan & Indiana
5 in CA
11 in NC
4 in VA
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 06:11:39 PM »

2 in Wyoming

Bad at maths=why I have a degree in econ.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 07:00:38 PM »

Better?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:49 PM »

Yes. Smiley

However, I'll unfortunately have to consider you as having been the fifth to post your deployments, and thus the fifth person to take their turn during the game.  The reason for this is due to the following section of the earlier post with the newly distributed states in it:  "If a post is edited, the time at which the last edit was made will be used to determine the order of your turn."  The same thing applies in this case. Sad
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 07:28:32 PM »

So now were just waiting for Hugh so I can conquer the United States!!!

(oopssss I told my mission Smiley )
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:34:05 PM »

I thought we were conquering Atlasia. Wink
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 08:06:09 PM »

Yes. Smiley

However, I'll unfortunately have to consider you as having been the fifth to post your deployments, and thus the fifth person to take their turn during the game.  The reason for this is due to the following section of the earlier post with the newly distributed states in it:  "If a post is edited, the time at which the last edit was made will be used to determine the order of your turn."  The same thing applies in this case. Sad

Fair enough...although the post wasn't edited, it was subsequently corrected, and in a fashion that did not reflect the following posts. Of course, rules are rules...and I should have hired an accountant...oh...Flyers...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 09:49:55 PM »

WA-1, ID-2, MT-3, NE-3, AZ-1, FL-2, KY-5, PA-5, NJ-3.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »

1. Place my 3 new battalions in Texas.
2. Attack Texas->Louisiana->Arkansas->Oklahoma as long as I have 3 battalions to attack with and can leave 2 behind in each State.
3. Await further orders.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »

Here's the initial map after those deployments:

General Ernest, it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [8 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions held]
= 3 reinforcements

Reinforcements

All 3 battalions have been deployed in Texas, where there are now 14 in total.

Attacks

Texas invades Louisiana (Gabu) with 13 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Louisiana.

Ernest [13] rolls 3 dice: 6 6 2
Gabu [1] rolls 1 die: 4
Gabu loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Louisiana and places 12 battalions there, leaving 2 behind in Texas.

----------

Louisiana invades Arkansas (Josh22) with 11 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Arkansas.

Ernest [11] rolls 3 dice: 6 4 2
Josh22 [1] rolls 1 die: 3
Josh22 loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Arkansas and places 10 battalions there, leaving 2 behind in Louisiana.

----------

Arkansas invades Oklahoma (Josh22) with 9 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Oklahoma.

Ernest [9] rolls 3 dice: 6 3 1
Josh22 [1] rolls 1 die: 5
Josh22 loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Oklahoma and places 8 battalions there, leaving 2 behind in Arkansas.

----------

* General Ernest has taken control of the South region *

----------

Provisional map
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 03:14:36 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2007, 03:28:40 PM by Joebot »

using same ROE as before, attack, Oklahoma-> Colorado -> Kansas.

If I take Colorado but not Kansas, then free move any battalions above 2 Colorado -> Oklahoma.

In either case, end turn.

fixed thread title - Joe
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »

Attacks (cont.)

Okahoma invades Colorado (Gabu) with 7 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Colorado.

Ernest [7] rolls 3 dice: 6 6 2
Gabu [1] rolls 1 die: 2
Gabu loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Colorado and places 6 battalions there, leaving 2 behind in Oklahoma.

----------

Colorado invades Kansas (Gabu) with 5 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Kansas.

Ernest [5] rolls 3 dice: 3 2 2
Gabu [1] rolls 1 die: 3
Ernest loses 1 battalion

Ernest [4] rolls 3 dice: 6 2 2
Gabu loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Kansas and places 4 battalions there, leaving 2 behind in Colorado.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »

New map:

General Josh22, it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [7 states ÷ 3 = Minimum 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions held]
= 3 reinforcements
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Ernest's mission is the one that requires you to put 2 or more batallions in 20-some states.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 05:25:49 PM »

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Ernest's mission is the one that requires you to put 2 or more battalions in 20-some states.

Or maybe that's what I want you to think.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »

3 in AL; Attack GA with AL; Attack Ohio with WV.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 01:19:23 PM »

Reinforcements

All 3 battalions have been deployed in Alabama, where there are now 4 in total.

Attacks

Alabama invades Georgia (Gabu) with 3 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Georgia.

Josh22 [3] rolls 3 dice: 6 6 3
Gabu loses 1 battalion

Josh22 conquers Georgia and places 3 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Alabama.

----------

West Virginia invades Ohio (Bullmoose88) with 3 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Ohio.

Josh22 [3] rolls 3 dice: 5 4 2
Bullmoose88 [1] rolls 1 die: 4
Bullmoose88 loses 1 battalion

Josh22 conquers Ohio and places 3 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in West Virginia.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »

GA to SC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length