Opinion of the Multnomah County Preschool for All Tax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 08:00:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Multnomah County Preschool for All Tax
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Multnomah County Preschool for All Tax
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Opinion of the Multnomah County Preschool for All Tax  (Read 1107 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 07:03:22 PM »

So we're raising taxes to fund a system that actively stunts the growth of our children? Where exactly is the win here?

You're wrong about this.

Selection bias. Families that can afford preschool are more likely to better prepare their kids for it.

Did you attend preschool? Were you able to read when you went into kindergarten?
Yes, actually, while my sister who had a nanny could not.

But equally, I'm aware that I was probably the outlier here outside of very rich families.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2022, 07:36:45 PM »

So we're raising taxes to fund a system that actively stunts the growth of our children? Where exactly is the win here?

You're wrong about this.

Yah my mom who is a para-educator at our local elementary school said while Pre-K isn’t for everyone , there are many kids who it 100% helped .

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 08:30:58 PM »

Did you attend preschool? Were you able to read when you went into kindergarten?

Yes, and I don't remember, probably?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2022, 08:36:58 PM »

I'm going to interpret "probably" as "no," because you would remember if you could. Being able to read in kindergarten is unusual in this country because children do not receive adequate pre-K education either at home or in preschool.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 08:42:48 PM »

I'm going to interpret "probably" as "no," because you would remember if you could. Being able to read in kindergarten is unusual in this country because children do not receive adequate pre-K education either at home or in preschool.

Read what though:

A Picture Book or a Chapter Book like Magic Tree House 
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2022, 09:15:47 PM »

Read what though:

Anything. The percentage of Americans who can read before kindergarten is in the single digits. Perhaps the first step in curing ourselves of the multitudes of illiterates who plague our society is to expect more from children in pre”””school.”””
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2022, 03:57:09 AM »

Read what though:

Anything. The percentage of Americans who can read before kindergarten is in the single digits. Perhaps the first step in curing ourselves of the multitudes of illiterates who plague our society is to expect more from children in pre”””school.”””
Yeah, I think the only people that can read prior to starting school are either extremely privileged or are hyper-precocious weirdos.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2022, 02:47:51 PM »

FF
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2022, 03:30:40 PM »

Yeah, I think the only people that can read prior to starting school are either extremely privileged or are hyper-precocious weirdos.

What "privilege" are you referring to? The "privilege" of having parents who are capable of teaching you how to read? Literally any parent and any child is capable of that unless severe learning disabilities are involved.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies