US Military " weak ".
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 06:56:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US Military " weak ".
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Military " weak ".  (Read 755 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2022, 03:39:36 PM »

https://www.defensenews.com/global/the-americas/2022/10/18/us-military-in-decline-threats-from-china-formidable-report-says/
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 03:47:59 PM »

We're spread out too much. Close most of the foreign bases and focus on defense.

Plus the name of this publication sounds very MIC.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 03:50:11 PM »

What's the 700 billion then for? More than the next few countries combined.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 03:52:25 PM »

The problem I think has more with the quality of People the US has. What do I mean ? According to the US navy recruit website; https://www.navy.com/careers, that jobs that are in demand for the Navy; are very technically skilled; with high levels of mathematics, scientific know how. We don't have that in our students !
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 03:55:16 PM »

This is clearly a psyop by the MIC, but ok.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 05:19:06 PM »

The clusterduck Russia is having would be even worse for China.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »

I think that the title of the report, along with calling the US 'weak' is kind of misleading. The report details that the United States wouldn't be able to fight 2 wars at once at the current time.

Normally, I'd agree with you on this point that defense spending is too high, and I still believe that it is. The point of the report is to look at if the United States could fight multiple wars at one time and be successful. Since US Intervention in a large war say in MENA, could hamper the ability of the US to protect Taiwan or other allied states in the region.

I've been looking at this report, and I agree with most of the points put forward.

We're spread out too much. Close most of the foreign bases and focus on defense.

Funny that you say this because here is a quote from the report's preface

U.S. foreign policy has tended to oscillate between an overreliance on internationalism to remake the
world to America’s liking and an urge to isolate ourselves behind our oceans. Neither policy is appropriate for American interests. The American people want—and deserve—a new approach to global leadership: policies that draw lessons from our realist and idealist traditions but apply those lessons narrowly to American interests rather than elite fantasies.

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »

The foreign bases ARE focused on defense. It’s not 1930 anymore. In order to protect our own interests, to say nothing of our allies who you would apparently just throw under the bus, we have to have a strong international presence. Trust me, you don’t want to live in a world dominated by China.

Also the MIC is based.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 07:15:55 PM »

Guys, the report is by the Heritage Foundation.  Can you please not fall for something that's obviously a political stunt.  There's a reason you've never in your life heard of the Heritage Foundation's annual assessment of the U.S. military before, yet now a whole bunch of people are suddenly acting like it's some well-known, authoritative thing.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 07:17:51 PM »

First line:

U.S. military power was weaker this year than the year prior, according to a new report by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank that each year analyzes the strength of the armed forces and the threats to America.

I'm sure they're not a group trying to undermine one of Biden's biggest strengths - that he has united NATO and been able to successfully project power abroad and weaken our adversaries without needing to rely on a massive foreign US troop presence - 2.5 weeks before an election.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 07:23:22 PM »

First line:

U.S. military power was weaker this year than the year prior, according to a new report by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank that each year analyzes the strength of the armed forces and the threats to America.

I'm sure they're not a group trying to undermine one of Biden's biggest strengths - that he has united NATO and been able to successfully project power abroad and weaken our adversaries without needing to rely on a massive foreign US troop presence - 2.5 weeks before an election.

Well, the US has a pretty massive force "overseas" 180-200 thousand soldiers are stationed "overseas", I definitely agree with you.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 07:31:50 PM »

Considering this report is from the Heritage Foundation…

This sounds a lot like something Trump would say.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 06:48:51 AM »

I'm not usually in the Blame Everything on the MIC camp*, but I think they are right to suggest this article doesn't pass the sniff test.  Russia has made it clear this year that they are no threat and since the PRC uses a lot of Russian knock offs and has similar military doctrines and without any of the experience, they aren't much of a threat either.  Sure, maybe tomorrow it would be hard for us to fight two major wars at the same time, thankfully for us, the only opponents we could have are far far "weak"er than we are.

*likely due to my biases I get for being a tiny cog in it
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 07:03:44 AM »

This sounds like a bunch of crap, if you ask me.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 08:00:55 AM »

The 700 billion is for defense contractors and the the service bureaucracies, and pays for a national defense apparatus that has a lot of moving parts, many of which we never see. I suspect we're still paying for our recent wars, too in several ways.

We spent the last 20 years fighting people who could only shoot back in places where we had 'boots on the ground', and that seems to have warped our military priorities, to the point where as active participants in a war like Ukraine's defensive war against Russia, or a PRC attack on Taiwan, we might find ourselves imitating Russia, and finding we're not as good as we say we are.

Planes and ships that work, but have significant maintenance or readiness problems aren't really a problem if all we ever need to do is crush people who don't have their own jet fighters, submarines, and anti-ship missiles. Our military is likely perfectly capable of doing what Russia wanted to do to Ukraine against any nation that isn't a nuclear power (or a close equivalent). But the post-Cold War comity among global powers is coming to an end, and we've collective allowed ourselves to develop a lot of bad habits (like paying too much for ultra-tech systems that don't really work) that hamstring our own capabilities in a war against a government like Putin's or Xi's.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 08:02:26 AM »

Conservatives are just upset that Russia's manly macho army proved to be a total failure and the United State's they\them army that accepts LGBT people is far superior.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »

LOL- The rate the Marines as great, the Navy is subpar and the Air Force is rated as terrible.

It's clear the Heritage clowns are pushing the traditional conservative narrative.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 11:38:22 AM »

LOL- The rate the Marines as great, the Navy is subpar and the Air Force is rated as terrible.

It's clear the Heritage clowns are pushing the traditional conservative narrative.

Lol the air power of our military is number 1 by miles. If you just took different branches of our military, we occupy the top 2 rankings and 4 of the top 5 ranks.

https://www.wdmma.org/ranking.php
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 11:44:47 AM »

Lol the air power of our military is number 1 by miles. If you just took different branches of our military, we occupy the top 2 rankings and 4 of the top 5 ranks.

That's what I was saying.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 11:45:50 AM »

That's what I was saying.

Yah I know , I was just mocking the idea that somehow our Air Force is terrible
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »

I'm not usually in the Blame Everything on the MIC camp*, but I think they are right to suggest this article doesn't pass the sniff test.  Russia has made it clear this year that they are no threat and since the PRC uses a lot of Russian knock offs and has similar military doctrines and without any of the experience, they aren't much of a threat either.  Sure, maybe tomorrow it would be hard for us to fight two major wars at the same time, thankfully for us, the only opponents we could have are far far "weak"er than we are.

Well, China does have experience winning wars against its own people (and losing wars against Vietnam).
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »

Its already great, but it'll be even greater once Milley and the rest of the upper levels are purged.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2022, 03:20:57 PM »

Thank you Heritage Foundation! Very cool!

...we should exponentially increase our military to establish the Galactic Empire of Dark Brandon
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2022, 03:39:19 PM »

A couple of billion worth of our surplus equipment has decisively humiliated what was supposedly the second or third strongest army in the world. This is wishcasting from right-wingers who hate America.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2022, 04:03:34 PM »

Well, China does have experience winning wars against its own people (and losing wars against Vietnam).
China has started making their own equipment that aren’t knockoffs far superior than Russia’s (really Soviet) equipment. China’s military doctrine hasn’t been influenced by the Soviets since the early 1950s, where by and large they went back to what worked fighting against the Japanese and then Americans—German military doctrine along with the Maoist mode of offensive war. Outside of fighting insurgencies and long ago fights against small, weaker nations—the U.S. has very little experience either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies