How do Ashland, Douglas and Bayfield counties Wisconsin trend?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:43:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do Ashland, Douglas and Bayfield counties Wisconsin trend?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do Ashland, Douglas and Bayfield counties Wisconsin trend?  (Read 1049 times)
scared of myself
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2022, 03:11:55 PM »

They are one of the few heavily white and small parts of the country aside from the coasts that still favors Democrats significantly, though the margin appears to be decreasing.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 04:05:01 PM »

These counties are politically similar to the Iron Range in Minnesota due to their proximity to that region. Their future political direction should be very similar to that of the Iron Range.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 05:21:47 PM »

Like other weird isolated places with vibrant union history that haven't been swallowed by Southernization a la Appalachian coal country: see Deer Lodge and Silver Bow, MT, though I don't think the Lake Superior counties have that much distinct ethnic self-identity outside of that history as much as overwhelmingly Irish Butte.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 09:30:46 PM »

My inner doomer insists they are just waiting to be swallowed up by the inky red sea of monolithic Republican rural political culture. The same force that has consumed the surrounding regions here in Ohio, as well as most of the rural and small town upper midwest.
scared of myself
Rookie
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 07:11:44 AM »

My inner doomer insists they are just waiting to be swallowed up by the inky red sea of monolithic Republican rural political culture. The same force that has consumed the surrounding regions here in Ohio, as well as most of the rural and small town upper midwest.
How do you think Mandela Barnes does in these counties this year?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »

He doesn't seem to be a great fit for the area, so probably not as well as Generic D. But don't take it from me.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 11:41:19 AM »

Douglas is a Duluth satellite city, Bayfield is heavily dependent on tourism, and Ashland has a double digit and growing Native population. They will likely trend R, yes, but we shouldn't just assume they're like other rural Wisconsin counties except a decade or two behind.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 01:58:18 PM »

Like the rest of the Iron Range, the touristy areas (think Cook County MN) will likely remain or even trend Democratic. We will likely see some erosion in more rural/small-town portions of the region though.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 02:55:31 PM »

I tend to think they might be sort of static. I think we will get a better picture in a couple of weeks though and an even better one in 2024.
doopy pants
Rookie
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 05:16:58 PM »

He doesn't seem to be a great fit for the area, so probably not as well as Generic D. But don't take it from me.
Fun fact: Douglas was actually Barnes's worst county in the primary. He only got 61%. Despite dropping out, Godlewski got 17%, and Nelson and Lasry each got 7%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies