Sinn Fein votes to support police
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:52:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sinn Fein votes to support police
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sinn Fein votes to support police  (Read 791 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2007, 12:58:14 PM »

Sinn Fein members have voted to support policing in Northern Ireland for the first time in the party's history
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »

A very positive and welcome development. Maybe, just maybe, devolved power-sharing government is in sight.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:53:36 PM »

Concur with merseysider. I can probably guess, but what was their problem with it earlier?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »

Concur with merseysider. I can probably guess, but what was their problem with it earlier?

<Totally uninformed conjecture follows>
Perhaps they werent willing to sign on until the policy of having x number of catholics in the police force filtered through to the actual number on the street...

go ahead and shoot that down, someone..please?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »

Perhaps they werent willing to sign on until the policy of having x number of catholics in the police force filtered through to the actual number on the street...

More to do with the fact that 1) most republicans saw the PSNI (New police force) as the exact same as the old RUC; which as you can imagine is not highly popular among Catholics (esp. Working-class) in the north and 2) most of the Sinn Fein leadership are stubborn arseholes. Though catholics in the force was an undoubted factor aswell. Though I imagine Al or Jas would know more details; I avoid Northern Irish stories like Syphilis in the Irish press.

It's good news for the obvious reasons, though it's also bad news as it may increase the chances of Sinn Fein doing very well at the next election and gets them one step closer to respectibility.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »

More to do with the fact that 1) most republicans saw the PSNI (New police force) as the exact same as the old RUC; which as you can imagine is not highly popular among Catholics (esp. Working-class) in the north

True. It is now officially recognised, following the recent O'Loan report, that the RUC colluded with loyalist paramilitaries for years. This was long held as obvious in Republican communities and so there has always been significant mistrust for the police there.

and 2) most of the Sinn Fein leadership are stubborn arseholes. Though catholics in the force was an undoubted factor aswell.

Certainly some of them are, but hey, the same goes for the leadership of many political parties in Ireland and elsewhere. Take-up by Catholics to the PSNI has not been great, indeed IIRC, applications from immigrant Polish Catholics is greater than that from the local Catholic population. Given the mistrust mentioned previously, there is a certain stigmatisation of Catholics who join the force, though this has lessened in recent years.

It's good news for the obvious reasons, though it's also bad news as it may increase the chances of Sinn Fein doing very well at the next election and gets them one step closer to respectibility.

According to yesterday's RedC/Sunday Business Post poll 79% of voters approve of the party endorsing the PSNI. 56% of those questioned said they would be more likely to vote for the party if it did so.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »

Okay... what new conditions will the DUP invent in order not to have to form a government with SF now?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:08:19 PM »

Okay... what new conditions will the DUP invent in order not to have to form a government with SF now?

They'll find a way. In truth I doubt they would even want to form a government with the SDLP. Part of the reasoning is obvious but no one will publically admit it.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 01:24:52 PM »

They'll find a way. In truth I doubt they would even want to form a government with the SDLP. Part of the reasoning is obvious but no one will publically admit it.

Yeah, the decision to back policing at the weekend and now another IMC report stating that the Provisionals have ceased involvement in terrorism and criminality, puts the ball firmly with the DUP.

And yet I'd put the chances of a Paisley-McGuinness First and Deputy First partnership at no better than 50-50 at this point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies