Nuclear Power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:46:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Nuclear Power
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nuclear Power  (Read 4486 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2004, 05:54:58 PM »

Well, don't expect either political party to promote nuclear power in the near future.  90% of US coal production is used to produce 50% of our electricity.  If nuclear power were to be aggresively promoted the coal mines of the Ohio River Valley, which produce high-sulfur coal would be the first to feel the affect of this.  Can you imagine either major party conceeding an advantage in Ohio, Pensylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiiana, and Illinois?  Too many of these states are too evenly divided politically.

Despite this, on the Fantasy Election Forum, the Manifest Destiny Party will be advocating nuclear power as a major plank in its energy platform. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 06:01:44 PM »

I favour nuclear power. I think it's better than the alternatives and that we can keep it safe.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 06:29:29 PM »

There is a very limited supply of uranium in the world. There is a lot less of it than coal. Coal at projected rates of consumption could last over 100 years. Not that much can necessarily be said about nuclear power.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 06:54:16 PM »

I fully support nuclear power.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 06:57:24 PM »

Nuclear power is definately the way to go. It is no where near as dangerous as it was 20 years ago. And anyone who compares our technologies to Chernobyl would be a fool.
zachman

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 07:15:20 PM »

I want accelerated research on fusion reactors, or more efficient wind turbines. Those two as well with better utilization of geothermal power could reduce the need for coal and fission reactors. Research should be done on better nuclear fission technology, but no new nuclear plants should be built in the meantime.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 09:22:09 PM »

There is a very limited supply of uranium in the world. There is a lot less of it than coal. Coal at projected rates of consumption could last over 100 years. Not that much can necessarily be said about nuclear power.
At a price of $50/pound, the proven reserves of uranium oxide in the US are some 890 million pounds as of 2003 according to the DOE.  Annual production over the last decade has averaged around 5 million pounds and has been declining steadily due to imports of fissile materials from the former Soviet Union. even if the US went to 100% nuclear power for electricity, we have a good 40 years of proven supply without even doing reprocessing of spent power rods, recovering uranium oxide as a byproduct from mining other ores, or discovering new deposits.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 12:36:07 PM »

Uranium is a lot cleaner than coal though,and more efficient I think.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 04:51:39 PM »

I like 'divesification' of energy resources (although I dislike the term as it is abused by the 'politically correct).  Perhaps 'redundancy' would be better.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 07:57:22 PM »

Through its major utility, ComEd, Chicago and northern Illinois gets most of its power right now from nuclear reactors. There are six facilities (plus one recently shutdown) that can provide about 11,000 megawatts of power. Some of them are only 15 years old and were approved just before Three Mile Island.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 08:17:01 PM »

I would be for nuclear power but for the tempting targets the plants make  for the terrorists.  Coal is safer.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 09:01:23 PM »

I would be for nuclear power but for the tempting targets the plants make  for the terrorists.  Coal is safer.
Unlike the WTC, the designs for nuclear reactors consider the possibility of what woud happen if a large jetliner were to crash into them.  It would be a mess, and possibly a slight release of radioactivity from the cooling system, but the core itself would be safe. and far less people would be affected from the slight amount of radiation released in such an incident than from the chemical pollution of even a clean coal plant producing the same amount of electricity over the same period.  That said, I'm not advocating building nuclear power plants near population centers.  The risks while small are real, but thanks to the wonders of alternating current, we don't need to place power plants in densely populated areas.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 09:45:04 PM »

I personally like my Hydro-electric power here.  Cheesy  Nice, safe, and it makes for a fun summer time.
Hydropower does have some ecological impacts which while usually localized, are extremly severe in that it totally devastates the existing ecology of what will be in the lake and even without environmental considerations, there really isn't much we could do to build more capacity in the lower 48.
I don't favor undoing what has been done, but hydropower has reached its peak and can't but help to provide a declining share of total US electricity production.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 10:29:35 PM »

I personally like my Hydro-electric power here.  Cheesy  Nice, safe, and it makes for a fun summer time.
Hydro won't help much in the flat midwest. Wind farms are starting to spring up but they are more land intensive than other power generators so finding a location can be more difficult than for a nuclear plant. It will take a while to get a significant fraction of the power from wind, but I expect that will be the alternative in the long run here.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 11:47:19 PM »

Down with nuclear power!

First, the uranium has to be mined in Australia, coming from some of the most beautiful and sacred areas, including Kakadu.

Then it hasto be transported overseas at risk of it entering the sea.

Then, when it gets to the power plant, it has to be used at risk of an explosion.

We have safer and cleaner technologies. Use them.

Such as this solar tower being built ner Mildura, in trhe aussie outback. They've already built one in Spain in the 1960s, as a very basic prototype.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/03/1075776046115.html?oneclick=true

considering one already exists, and this is able to be done, shouldn't we be looking into this before nuclear power?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2004, 11:51:50 PM »

You are aware that the United States also has large deposits of Uranium?  This has nothing to do with Australia.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004, 12:31:48 AM »

The WTC were built to withstand a plane crashing into them.  The problem is that planes got bigger and they carry mroe fuel.  The fire is what did the WTC in.

Nuclear plants face a similar problem.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 06:16:43 AM »

You are aware that the United States also has large deposits of Uranium?  This has nothing to do with Australia.

Not on the same scale. Sh*t geologists don't know how much mineral wealth Oz has because they haven't discovered it all yet... huge (and I mean HUGE) areas of Australia don't have accurate geological maps yet...
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2004, 09:37:20 AM »

Nuclear power is the best energy source what we have now. However there is a need to develop new sources like fusion power.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2004, 11:29:32 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2004, 06:44:01 PM by Ernest (MDP-SC) »

Then it hasto be transported overseas at risk of it entering the sea.
Unranium oxide is not very soluble, so unless it was shipped in the form of fine dust, even in an accident, it would not pose significant contamination hazard.  Far less of a hazard than the pollution produced by burning fossil fuels to make electricity.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Even at Chernobyl, an unsafe plant being run in an unsafe manner, no nuclear explosion occurred.  The damage that was caused was due to dispersal of radioactive elements in the smoke from the fire.  With sppropriate design, even if a core meltdown occured, the materials from the core would not be released.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Even in Australia, this project would only produce about 3MW per square kilometer according to that article.  Even if that same level of efficiency could be obtained in the US which is at a higher latitude than Australia, we would need to cover an area equal to that of the entire state of Alabama to meet current US electricty needs using this technology. I can't this sort of plant being built anywhere east of the Mississippi as it just takes up way too much space.  Possibly in the desert southwest some could be built, but the environmental cost of destroying that much habitat does not make this a technique that I would favor using on a large scale.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2004, 07:01:49 PM »

Hydropower does have some ecological impacts which while usually localized, are extremly severe in that it totally devastates the existing ecology of what will be in the lake and even without environmental considerations, there really isn't much we could do to build more capacity in the lower 48.
I don't favor undoing what has been done, but hydropower has reached its peak and can't but help to provide a declining share of total US electricity production.

And you're trying to tell me Nuclear waste is better?!  Common...
Nuclear power's main advantage and its main disadvantage is that it is concentrated so that it doesn't require much land. Renewable energy sources whether it be wind, water, solar, or biofuels all require a considerable amount of land in order to make the energy that is produced, so they hardly have zero impact.

However, my argument is not that nuclear is better than other forms of power, it is that nuclear is better than using fossil fuels which is what provides three quarters of US electricity today.  Renewable sources including hydropower  provide less than 10% of US electricity. We could sut down every hydroelectric dam in the US and it would have a negligible effect  At present fossil fuels and nuclear power are the only feasible methods of making the electricty we want.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 03:50:02 PM »

What happened at Chernobyl was the Russians saving money and using a carbon restraining rod. Carbon will only absorb the excess neutrons temporarily. This works fine as long as the power output is at a reasonable level. The Russians wanted to know how much power their plant could churn out, and they noticed things getting critical, so they slammed the carbon rod down. A few seconds later the neutrons got re-emitted and that's what caused the Chernobyl accident.

Moral: nuclear reactors are safe provided no corners are cut and no stupid actions are taken.

Disposal of the waste is a more legitimate reason to be against nuclear power than the alleged dangers of the power plant itself.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 04:04:21 PM »

lol. You can get a little more power out of the uranium than coal.
danwxman

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 09:32:24 PM »

I favor nuclear power as long as we continue to bury all the waste in Republican states.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005, 09:44:40 PM »

I support the safe use of fission power, the development of fusion power, and anything else that is viable and efficient to meet our needs.

Of course, we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket - we should have many power sources to fall back on.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies