Which of these religions is the “weirdest”? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:59:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which of these religions is the “weirdest”? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these belief systems is the “weirdest”?
Mormonism

Scientology

Nation of Islam

Raelism

Adventism

Jehovahs Witnesses

Falun Gong

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Which of these religions is the “weirdest”?  (Read 3793 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: October 15, 2022, 07:55:31 AM »

I vote Nation of Islam because in addition to its bizarre teachings it also has very strange origins. Its founder, Wallace Fard Muhammad, is one of the most enigmatic figures in American history; absolutely nothing is known for certain about him before or after his work setting up the NOI in Depression-era Detroit, and what's speculated or known inconclusively has a ton of inconsistencies.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 11:33:32 PM »

The above post reminds me of a certain type of Christian hardcore subculture that is nowhere near on the level of anything in the poll but I'm sure most people here would still find quite weird. It doesn't really exist in a "pure" form anymore but its influence is still identifiable amongst some people like one of my pastors' husband and multiple people I met at Furnace Fest.

(Not me because I'm not straight edge.)

Can you elaborate on the tenets and continuing influence of this subculture? I'm actually intrigued.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 10:25:46 PM »

Mormonism is not "weird". It does make the most sense to me.

But it is a GOP club and I have no interest in it. It is way to political.

Ex-Mormonism is far more of an ethnoreligion than Mormonism could ever hope to be.

If the 2nd post is serious, could you elaborate on it? Are you saying that ex-mormonism is more unifying/homogenizing than Mormonism itself?

Well a lot of that lot tend to be white, LGBT [increasingly]  extremely young, college educated, and upper-class, and many of them are bent on getting drunk or drinking coffee just 'cuz....

Really, it seems almost as if breaking the Word of Wisdom and other Standards some days with them, just to prove non-Mormonism.

I can't speak to ex-Mormons but I have friends in the exvangelical crowd of whom I've noticed something similar. It's basically a subculture in and of itself, although I wouldn't say it's more of one than practicing Evangelicalism is.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 12:19:42 PM »

If we're going based on beliefs alone, the Raëlists or Nation of Islam take it hands down. The Dr. Yakub stuff is hilarious and serves as a source of inspiration and courage in my personal life.

However in practices it's gotta be the Scientologists. Bizarre how they've been able to continue doing it for so long.
A big headed scientist using eugenics on a Greek Island thousands of years ago makes no sense. It also is nothing like what most Muslims believe.

The Nation of Islam is so unlike mainstream Islam that the name itself is almost impossible to understand, yeah. They don't even believe in an afterlife. They're not even monotheistic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies