UO students chant “f**k the mormons” at BYU game, BYU complains
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:40:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  UO students chant “f**k the mormons” at BYU game, BYU complains
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: UO students chant “f**k the mormons” at BYU game, BYU complains  (Read 2812 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2022, 04:29:07 PM »

Only people who are bigoted or sexually harass their co-workers.

Nope, nobody except for uptight people like you can stand HR. Men hate it, women hate it, people of all races and sexual orientations hate it. Regardless of how much experience you pretend to have, it's very clear that you have spent very little time in the workplace and it's statements like this that demonstrate how insanely out of touch you are with normal Americans.

What specific ways do you think HR goes overboard? Is it the rules against sexual harassment? Or is it the rules against race-based discrimination?

lmao at the idea that HR departments give a sh-t about victims of sexual harassment or race-based discrimination.

HR departments exist to police the behavior of workers on behalf of employers and to cover the asses of management. It's deeply offensive to see them as "allies" of women, minorities, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, literally anyone else who is seen as dispensable by employers (which is most people)...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2022, 04:46:32 PM »

Clearly Oregon's athletic program should be personally abolished and Oregon State should get their upcoming Big 10 invitation instead.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2022, 04:48:42 PM »

No, I absolutely would not be fired. I've had plenty of bosses who say things like this too, in a wide range of different types of jobs. Out of the ten or so jobs I've worked at, I can think of one where maybe people wouldn't be happy about it. All your jobs have been in Democratic politics, yes? That's going to create a social environment that is very different than at a lot of other jobs.

You are completely out of your mind if you think that you wouldn't at the very least face some form of disciplinary action for openly and proudly disparaging a religious group at your place of work. HR would not look kindly on it at all.

I worked in a government building and, briefly, a deli when I was in college. So I've worked in a variety of environments.

Alright, I challenge you to do this: tomorrow when you go to work, walk up to your boss and say "I hate Jews, gays, and Blacks." Report back to us with the results.
There’s a difference between saying “F**k the mormons” and “I hate Jews, gays, and blacks”
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2022, 04:54:57 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2022, 04:58:19 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

brb gotta report my ex-Mormon colleague to HR for bigotry against People of LDS.

EDIT: what I find funny about this is that reporting people to HR sounds like a stereotypically Mormon thing to do, along with working for the FBI and CIA.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2022, 04:56:40 PM »

Only people who are bigoted or sexually harass their co-workers.
What planet do you live on? Normal people do not like HR. Their role is to keep the company from getting sued. They are not your friend.
Ferguson is the type of guy who actually likes HR speak
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2022, 05:12:10 PM »

Clearly Oregon's athletic program should be personally abolished and Oregon State should get their upcoming Big 10 invitation instead.

Okay, first, abolishing Oregon's athletic program is overkill. Second, why would the Big Ten want Oregon? They only wanted UCLA and USC for the Los Angeles media market. By that logic, wouldn't Washington make more sense for them, since they have the Seattle Media Market?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 05:36:15 PM »

I've been going to Pac-12 games since about 1994, and I think everyone from everywhere but Eugene can agree that Oregon football fans are genuinely the worst.
Oregon has the best fans and stadium atmosphere of any football program west of Lincoln. Only like, Nebraska, Texas A&M, LSU, Wisconsin and Penn State are better.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2022, 05:49:30 PM »

The Mormons really are goddamn whiners, they did this at USC too. No wonder people think they're stuck up.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2022, 08:36:55 PM »

Worth noting that Ferguson used a sort of "Have you stopped beating your wife?" fallacious leading question here by when asking for examples of how HR departments go overboard following up by asking if it's rules against sexual harassment or race-based discrimination that one can object to, ignoring the dozens of other reasons why someone might dislike HR departments and implying it has to be those two. Ironically as I've noted elsewhere a common complaint about HR departments is actually that they're quite ineffective at doing anything of note to actually stop sexual harassment or racial discrimination and their reputation for woke virtue signaling is probably because it's much easier to do that than actually do something of note that can stop those things or do effective intervention about them.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2022, 09:06:59 PM »

HR contributes nothing to society. It is a bullsh*t job to keep unemployable people employed.

I'd even argue that a lot of what HR does has negative value, since they waste so much time in which people with useful, productive jobs could be doing actual work, and lower morale too. Instead they have to waste it on all sorts of make-work garbage.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2022, 10:21:27 PM »

Okay, since this devolved into a four-page thread and Counting debate over the value of HR departments, somehow, I'll just reiterate my earlier post that there were literally at most about a dozen frat Bros making this stupid offensive chant out of a crowd of around 50,000. They were dicks, and if they can be identified they should be disciplined under the Oregon University code of conduct. And it was made viral by the video, and Oregon properly apologized. All done.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2022, 02:34:04 AM »

The Mormons really are goddamn whiners, they did this at USC too. No wonder people think they're stuck up.

They have their own ethnostate anyway.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »

Least offensive football fans.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2022, 12:25:50 PM »

Ex-Mormonism is far more of an ethnoreligion than Mormonism could ever hope to be.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2022, 12:34:36 PM »

Ex-Mormonism is far more of an ethnoreligion than Mormonism could ever hope to be.

What?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2022, 01:57:09 PM »

What?

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2023, 03:10:26 AM »

Update damn

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2023/03/college-coaches-ads-could-be-suspended-for-bad-fan-behavior-under-proposed-oregon-house-bill.html

Under the proposed bill, coaches such as Dan Lanning, Jonathan Smith, Dana Altman and Scott Rueck and athletic directors such as Rob Mullens and Scott Barnes could face one-week suspensions if fans at Oregon or Oregon State games “engage in the use of derogatory or inappropriate names, insults, verbal assaults, profanity or ridicule in violation of equity focused policies.”

A state law regulating fan behavior in which college coaches and athletic directors would face suspensions would be unprecedented. As written, the bill does not address who is the arbiter of the fans’ behavior or if violators have to have an allegiance to a public university in the state, potentially creating an incentive for opposing fans to act egregiously and under the guise of being aligned with a state school in order to prompt suspensions against UO or OSU coaches and athletic directors.

The University of Oregon and the Pit Crew, Oregon’s student section, issued apologies for the incident, which was condemned by then-Oregon Gov. Kate Brown, Utah Gov. Spencer Cox and then-interim UO president Patrick Phillips. Mullens and Lanning also apologized and condemned the incident.

Government overreach hits home! Crazy
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2023, 11:37:14 AM »

Update damn

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2023/03/college-coaches-ads-could-be-suspended-for-bad-fan-behavior-under-proposed-oregon-house-bill.html

Under the proposed bill, coaches such as Dan Lanning, Jonathan Smith, Dana Altman and Scott Rueck and athletic directors such as Rob Mullens and Scott Barnes could face one-week suspensions if fans at Oregon or Oregon State games “engage in the use of derogatory or inappropriate names, insults, verbal assaults, profanity or ridicule in violation of equity focused policies.”

A state law regulating fan behavior in which college coaches and athletic directors would face suspensions would be unprecedented. As written, the bill does not address who is the arbiter of the fans’ behavior or if violators have to have an allegiance to a public university in the state, potentially creating an incentive for opposing fans to act egregiously and under the guise of being aligned with a state school in order to prompt suspensions against UO or OSU coaches and athletic directors.

The University of Oregon and the Pit Crew, Oregon’s student section, issued apologies for the incident, which was condemned by then-Oregon Gov. Kate Brown, Utah Gov. Spencer Cox and then-interim UO president Patrick Phillips. Mullens and Lanning also apologized and condemned the incident.

Government overreach hits home! Crazy

That’s an insane bill
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2023, 07:56:59 PM »

wtf - didn’t know that NYE was a Oregon legislator.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies