Which of these religions is the “weirdest”? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:39:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which of these religions is the “weirdest”? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these belief systems is the “weirdest”?
Mormonism

Scientology

Nation of Islam

Raelism

Adventism

Jehovahs Witnesses

Falun Gong

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Which of these religions is the “weirdest”?  (Read 3823 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: October 18, 2022, 04:49:51 PM »

Mormonism is not "weird". It does make the most sense to me.

But it is a GOP club and I have no interest in it. It is way to political.

Ex-Mormonism is far more of an ethnoreligion than Mormonism could ever hope to be.

If the 2nd post is serious, could you elaborate on it? Are you saying that ex-mormonism is more unifying/homogenizing than Mormonism itself?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 09:19:08 PM »

Mormonism is not "weird". It does make the most sense to me.

But it is a GOP club and I have no interest in it. It is way to political.

Ex-Mormonism is far more of an ethnoreligion than Mormonism could ever hope to be.

If the 2nd post is serious, could you elaborate on it? Are you saying that ex-mormonism is more unifying/homogenizing than Mormonism itself?

Well a lot of that lot tend to be white, LGBT [increasingly]  extremely young, college educated, and upper-class, and many of them are bent on getting drunk or drinking coffee just 'cuz....

Really, it seems almost as if breaking the Word of Wisdom and other Standards some days with them, just to prove non-Mormonism.

I can't speak to ex-Mormons but I have friends in the exvangelical crowd of whom I've noticed something similar. It's basically a subculture in and of itself, although I wouldn't say it's more of one than practicing Evangelicalism is.

Interesting. Based on my (more limited) experience with exvangelicals I think this is true. But I get the impression there's a divide between the exvangelicals who have essentially abandoned religion (or institutional religion at least) and those who have passionately joined a mainstream, affirming denomination (there's quite of few of these people at my Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian church)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies