Describe a Calvin Coolidge-Bernie Sanders voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:41:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Calvin Coolidge-Bernie Sanders voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Calvin Coolidge-Bernie Sanders voter  (Read 1082 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2022, 12:27:21 AM »

title says it all
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 12:33:29 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2022, 12:37:03 AM by Goldwater »

Dead.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 12:54:16 AM »

For someone to have been eligible to vote for Coolidge in 1924 they would have had to be born in 1903 meaning they would be 113 in 2016 and there seems to be only 6 people from this list who qualify. So yah the answer is this very much could be impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_supercentenarians#100_oldest_known_Americans

TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 01:18:29 AM »

For someone to have been eligible to vote for Coolidge in 1924 they would have had to be born in 1903 meaning they would be 113 in 2016 and there seems to be only 6 people from this list who qualify. So yah the answer is this very much could be impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_supercentenarians#100_oldest_known_Americans

I guess it's possible that a few more may have been around to vote for him in one of his congressional bids though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 01:29:12 AM »

TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 02:04:05 AM »

Would be interesting to speculate based on demographic and socioeconomic factors how they've voted.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 12:14:07 AM »

Isolationist Social Progressive who is generally fiscally conservative but strongly supports universal health care.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 08:16:13 AM »

John Dule with a Time Machine.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 12:30:00 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2022, 12:34:52 PM by Christian Man »

This applies for one of his Congressional runs:

An Old School Republican who became disgusted with the GOP's stance on social issues sometime during the Reagan era and didn't see Sander's economics as being as big of a problem.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 02:02:42 PM »

An Old School Republican who became disgusted with the GOP's stance on social issues sometime during the Reagan era and didn't see Sander's economics as being as big of a problem.

Likely a single issue voter on some issue Congressional Sanders differed with their GOP opponent, who has kept this view for at least 60 years. My guess, Trade, New England was pretty Protectionist in the early 20th century, so I assume this voter was a single issue anti-Free Trade Voter in Vermont.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 03:31:02 PM »

Likely a single issue voter on some issue Congressional Sanders differed with their GOP opponent, who has kept this view for at least 60 years. My guess, Trade, New England was pretty Protectionist in the early 20th century, so I assume this voter was a single issue anti-Free Trade Voter in Vermont.

I was thinking that civil rights made more sense than protectionism but I can see it both ways.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »

I was thinking that civil rights made more sense than protectionism but I can see it both ways.

I can see the reasoning for that. I just don't think civil rights was that major of an issue in 1924 and one of Sanders' congressional races to have a likely single-issue voter over that. I think trade is an issue that overlaps better with both of the candidates and their eras.
DS0816
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 10:24:40 PM »

Non-existing
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 07:10:03 AM »

I can see the reasoning for that. I just don't think civil rights was that major of an issue in 1924 and one of Sanders' congressional races to have a likely single-issue voter over that. I think trade is an issue that overlaps better with both of the candidates and their eras.

Especially since Coolidge was not exactly great on civil rights and outright terrible (from my perspective) on immigration.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2022, 12:57:21 AM »

Assuming this just means he stayed alive to vote for Sanders in the Burlington mayoral election and Congressman, an old timer Yankee Republican who felt strongly about some of the local issues such as water front redevelopment and ended up sticking with him because he found Sanders to be honest and straightforward.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2022, 10:00:32 PM »

Alternately, if we include his 1974 run, just a liberal Yankee Republican is possible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies