Would you rather live in North Dakota or Alabama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 01:24:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in North Dakota or Alabama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you rather live in North Dakota or Alabama?
North Dakota

Alabama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Would you rather live in North Dakota or Alabama?  (Read 1416 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2022, 11:22:30 PM »

?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 11:26:04 PM »

I'd love to pull a Teddy Roosevelt and spend some time in the Dakotas living in the mountains. Alas, I lack the means and probably the grit.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 11:29:56 PM »

I'll take N.Dakota from May to October and 'bama for the winter.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 11:33:01 PM »

Alabama (hates the cold)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 11:41:16 PM »

I'd love to pull a Teddy Roosevelt and spend some time in the Dakotas living in the mountains. Alas, I lack the means and probably the grit.
No you wouldn't, trust me. Like no one lives in the mountain parts even by ND standards. The parts of ND that are actually inhabited are quite flat, although you might enjoy the rolling hills scenery around roads. (Well in central and western ND, the Red River Valley is a pancake.)

You might like Fargo or Bismarck though, they have an appeal in that they're both large enough to have necessary amenities and actually feel like civilization but still have low crime, and aren't as stressful and fast paced as big city living can be. And if you're an outdoorsy person, they're perfect for short little camping getaways. My dad likes to camp in a park south of Bismarck that's not even a 15 minute drive away.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 12:19:01 AM »

No you wouldn't, trust me. Like no one lives in the mountain parts even by ND standards. The parts of ND that are actually inhabited are quite flat, although you might enjoy the rolling hills scenery around roads. (Well in central and western ND, the Red River Valley is a pancake.)

You might like Fargo or Bismarck though, they have an appeal in that they're both large enough to have necessary amenities and actually feel like civilization but still have low crime, and aren't as stressful and fast paced as big city living can be. And if you're an outdoorsy person, they're perfect for short little camping getaways. My dad likes to camp in a park south of Bismarck that's not even a 15 minute drive away.

I don't like flat. I'd definitely visit Medora. It has civilization but, like Colonial Williamsburg, it's small and they preserve their Old Western heritage.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/road-trips/road-trip-stops/visit-north-dakota/theodore-roosevelt-national-park/

Who on God's greenish-brown earth wouldn't want to camp out or explore here?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 12:27:49 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2022, 12:31:11 AM by The Day of Indigenous People »

I don't like flat. I'd definitely visit Medora. It has civilization but, like Colonial Williamsburg, it's small and they preserve their Old Western heritage.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/road-trips/road-trip-stops/visit-north-dakota/theodore-roosevelt-national-park/

Who on God's greenish-brown earth wouldn't want to camp out or explore here?
Medora is basically Branson, MO in the Badlands. Yes the scenery is cool (I've been there recently but it doesn't feel like civilization at all, it's actually in the second least populated county in ND. The staff there are all seasonal and most aren't even ND residents.

You might enjoy a visit there though.

Hell you know what? If you really want to visit and can make it to ND next summer you can head over to my parents' place with me and they'll totally go with us (they visit most years.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 12:44:29 AM »

Medora is basically Branson, MO in the Badlands. Yes the scenery is cool (I've been there recently but it doesn't feel like civilization at all, it's actually in the second least populated county in ND. The staff there are all seasonal and most aren't even ND residents.

You might enjoy a visit there though.

Hell you know what? If you really want to visit and can make it to ND next summer you can head over to my parents' place with me and they'll totally go with us (they visit most years.)

That'd be a heavy lift for me finance-wise since I'm already going to DC next month and next year I need to fly to Connecticut to finalize my mom's burial. But a visit to the Badlands is definitely on my bucket list.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 01:53:59 AM »

Mobile > North Dakota > most of Alabama

My friend that is currently living in Mobile described it as "south of The South, in the same way that Florida is". I would never want to live in "The South", but Mobile seems not as bad to me, in the same way that Florida WOULD if it wasn't... Florida.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 02:22:44 AM »

I've heard people say Huntsville is the next Austin.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 06:00:24 AM »

Who wants to live in the Arctic
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 06:48:30 AM »

I've gotten 4 different numbers from Google.  Somewhere between 1 million and 4 million people live north of the Arctic circle.  I'd guess most of them want to live there since most of them live in free countries that let people move if they want.  Mostly natives, scientists, military types and oil workers I'd imagine.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 08:50:24 AM »

Alabama actually has cities/culture
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 09:02:02 AM »

Alabama, easily.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »

I met a guy from Huntsville at Furnace Fest. He's originally from the Easf Coast but moved there because of his job. He said despite its size it's one of the most dull and culture-less cities ever. I asked him if there's any bands now and he said only one guy's solo black metal project and all the music venues just book generic bar rock stuff you'd expect to find in some hick town. He did say it's not that terrible for him because he can still go to shows in Birmingham and Nashville but based on his experience it's a far cry from Austin.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »

I met a guy from Huntsville at Furnace Fest. He's originally from the Easf Coast but moved there because of his job. He said despite its size it's one of the most dull and culture-less cities ever. I asked him if there's any bands now and he said only one guy's solo black metal project and all the music venues just book generic bar rock stuff you'd expect to find in some hick town. He did say it's not that terrible for him because he can still go to shows in Birmingham and Nashville but based on his experience it's a far cry from Austin.

Really? I went to Bama for a year in undergrad and Huntsville was always a fun visit.  Mind you, I'm the kinda person who could find fun pretty much anywhere, but I didn't think it was all that dull.  Nothing super special, but not the worst town I've ever been to. 
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 11:35:21 AM »

North Dakota easily. One thing I'm not, for better or worse, is southern. The heat and humidity would drive me mad pretty quickly.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 11:39:50 AM »

Alabama actually has cities/culture

Yes, a racist one.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2022, 11:45:19 AM »

Having Black people live somewhere makes it racist?  LOL
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2022, 11:52:43 AM »

I don't know many people in Birmingham and it's a fair but smaller than anywhere I've lived, but other than that it's always struck me as a place where I could live. Certainly it's a more substantial city than North Dakota has to offer. Auburn isn't one of my favorite college towns but I've spent some time there and it has the great advantage of being close to Atlanta. But the main thing here is the weather, which in Alabama is tolerable in the summer and nice the rest of the year. I couldn't possibly live anywhere that gets as cold as North Dakota.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »

I've gotten 4 different numbers from Google.  Somewhere between 1 million and 4 million people live north of the Arctic circle.  I'd guess most of them want to live there since most of them live in free countries that let people move if they want.  Mostly natives, scientists, military types and oil workers I'd imagine.

Most of that land is Russia, so...
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »

Alabama already gets super cold (below 70°F yikes!), couldn't imagine what it's like in ND
[/quote

60 to 70 degrees is almost ideal weather. 65 to 75 is probably optimal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2022, 07:03:54 PM »

Most of that land is Russia, so...
sure, but generally speaking, people can move can't they?  I mean, it's not exactly the PRC.  <does some light Googling>, yeah, it seems people can move inside of Russia.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2022, 07:11:42 PM »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 12:49:18 AM »

on the one hand i never want to move back to the south, on the other i hate the cold

Slight edge to Alabama here, especially if Mobile is an option.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies