Best Books about Nazi Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:32:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Best Books about Nazi Germany
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Books about Nazi Germany  (Read 1218 times)
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2022, 10:11:46 PM »
« edited: October 09, 2022, 10:38:44 PM by Mr. Ukucasha »

Here is a complete list of all the Nazi-related books I've read along with a personal rating on a scale of 1 to 5 and some commentary (please share other good books related to Nazis not on this list in the replies):

Hitler's Vienna (5/5)

The Death of Democracy: Hitler's Rise to Power and the Downfall of the Weimar Republic (5/5)

Mein Kampf (1/5, but 3/5 for learning more about Hitler's twisted views)

Destined to Witness: Growing up Black in Nazi Germany (4.5/5)

Hitler's True Believers: How Ordinary People Became Nazis (4/5).

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (5/5)

Life in the Third Reich: Daily LIfe in Nazi Germany, 1933-1945 (4.5/5)

Hitler: A Biography (Ian Kershaw) (4.5/5, good but overrated)

Hitler's Willing Executioners (4/5, in spite of the author's tendency to exaggerate, this book does a great job demonstrating how many, many "ordinary" Germans, not just diehard Nazis, enthusiastically participated in henious, anti-Semitic war crimes during the Second World War)

Children of Nazis: The Sons and Daughters of Himmler, Göring, Höss, Mengele, and Others - Living with a Father’s Monstrous Legacy (4.5/5)

Hitler in Los Angeles: How Jews and Their Spies Foiled Nazi Plots Against Hollywood and America (4.5/5)

The Young Hitler I Knew (4.5/5)

Zweites Buch (1/5, but 3/5 for learning more about Hitler's twisted views. This is Hitler's second, secret book that was not published until after his death)

The Wages of Destruction (4.5/5, this one is really good if you are also interested in economics like I am)

They Thought They Were Free (4.5/5)

Defying Hitler (4/5)

Odessa: The Controversial History of the Mysterious Network that Helped Nazis Escape Germany during World War II (4.5/5)

The Nazis Next Door: How America Became a Safe Haven for Hitler's Men (4.5/5, despite what many may believe, Nazi war criminals didn't escape to just South America. Several escaped to the US and lived out the rest of their lives without ever facing justice for their crimes against humanity, and this book offers several examples of this).

Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Batalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland (4.5/5)

The City Without Jews (4.5/5, this book was published in 1924, well before Hitler rose to power and 17 years before the Holocaust even began. This book is extremely prophetic and essentially predicted the rise of Hitler and the Holocaust several years before it happened! The author of this book, Hugo Bettauer was murdered by Nazi Party follower shortly after publishing this book in 1925. Largely because anti-Semitism was rampant in Austria during this time, the person who murdered the author became a free man in a mere 20 months! He also expressed no regrets in murdering Bettauer and remained an unrepenant Nazi, having boasted of his murder of Bettauer as recently as 1977)

1932: The Rise of Hitler and FDR - Two Tales of Politics, Betrayal, and Unlikely Destiny (4/5)

Aftermath: Life in the Fallout of the Third Reich, 1945-1955 (4/5)

The Ratline: Love, Lies and Justice on the Trail of a Nazi Fugitive (not finished with this one yet)

I highly recommend each and every one of these books. It is impossible for me to overstate how much I have learned about history and human nature from these books. There are many, many interesting details about Nazi-era history that are not well-known among the population at-large.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 11:12:37 PM »

Here is a complete list of all the Nazi-related books I've read along with a personal rating on a scale of 1 to 5 and some commentary (please share other good books related to Nazis not on this list in the replies):
... ... ...
J.FEST & A.SPEER are - despite all - also important.
If 5/5 means perfect (and not nonSense), You have been a little bit gracious - yet, You are obviously really interested!
Fine, that the small, but insightful KUBIZEK-book was translated.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 11:32:10 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 07:20:08 AM »

The OP is this forum's resident Nazi.... um... expert.
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 04:04:47 PM »

Some other good books I've read:

The School That Escaped the Nazis: The True Story of the Schoolteacher Who Defied Hitler (4.5/5)

Coffee with Hitler: The Untold Story of the Amateur Spies who Tried to Civilize the Nazis (4/5)

The Last Jews in Berlin (4.5/5)

Prisoners of the Castle: The Nazis' Fortress Prison (4/5)

Goebbels: A Biography (4.25/5)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 02:51:42 PM »

I don't know if this would really count, but if you are interested in the Nuremberg Trials, I HIGHLY recommend The Nuremberg Trial by John and Anna Tusa.  It provides some truly precious insights into the happenings, and it is the only place I have ever seen the in-courtroom reactions of the defendants to hearing their sentences ... that last part was fascinating.

This isn't a "book" in the classic sense, but it's also really interesting to listen to The Nuremberg Interviews by Leon Godensohn.  It provides a fascinating insight into the Nazi defendants' (and key witnesses') perspective on things.  Hearing Göring and Dönitz speak was particularly interesting.

(Both of these are available on Audible.)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 10:53:53 PM »

I would agree that Wages of Destruction is really good and it's one of the best books for understanding WW2 strategically. Richard Evans' Third Reich In Power is very informative too and nuanced, I'd assume the other two books in his trilogy are just as good.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 10:58:12 PM »

This was an interesting video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW50DCoJ-V8
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon