Who wins the war? October edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:43:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who wins the war? October edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Ukraine

Russia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Who wins the war? October edition  (Read 998 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2022, 08:44:00 PM »

I still think Russia.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 09:14:33 PM »

Ukraine, they will push the armies of Vlad the Demon from all of their territory

Unless the Russkies use a WMD, then the combined forces of NATO and Ukraine will see that Putin meets the same end as Saddam did and the Coalition of the Willing will reach and liberate Moscow within days, if not hours
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 09:34:47 PM »

At this point, it's Ukraine or nobody. Russia doesn't have the army or the weapons to win the war in a way that allows Ukraine to continue existing as a region, and that would mean World War III if they go for that.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 09:42:29 PM »

Ukraine. The only question is whether Belgorod Oblast will be Belhorod Oblast a year from now.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 11:11:36 PM »

I agree. I think Russia will launch a decapitation nuclear strike against Ukraine in a few weeks.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 11:50:53 PM »

I agree. I think Russia will launch a decapitation nuclear strike against Ukraine in a few weeks.

Russia still won't win tho even then, if they do that surely a Coalition of the Willing will form including NATO and the remnants of the Ukrainian Army to disarm Russia and free its people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 01:23:28 AM »

like with a tactical nuke aimed at wherever they think Zelenski is at that moment?  And then what?  How would that change the battlefield?  It would certainly increase the Ukrainian Army's resolve.  Maybe if they had done this in the first couple of days it might have done something, it's too late for that kind of things at this point.  The Ukrainians are all in now, giving them a perfect martyr won't change that.

and that's ignoring whatever the west would do (well, what the US would do with the UK, Poland and Ukraine, I still doubt the resolve of most of our western Euro allies) to Russia for making such a grave mistake.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 01:35:57 AM »

People need to remember the United States probably has the capability to eliminate Putin even in Moscow.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 02:45:55 AM »

Ukraine.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 03:56:19 AM »

Of course you do, I would seriously be disappointed in anything else.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 11:05:07 AM »

Third option should be nobody, this all ends in nuclear armageddon which I think is underrated possibility as Ukraine continues to humiliate Russia and Putin shows no signs of backing down.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 11:22:01 AM »

like with a tactical nuke aimed at wherever they think Zelenski is at that moment?  And then what?  How would that change the battlefield?  It would certainly increase the Ukrainian Army's resolve.  Maybe if they had done this in the first couple of days it might have done something, it's too late for that kind of things at this point.  The Ukrainians are all in now, giving them a perfect martyr won't change that.

and that's ignoring whatever the west would do (well, what the US would do with the UK, Poland and Ukraine, I still doubt the resolve of most of our western Euro allies) to Russia for making such a grave mistake.

The MATT poster's doomer prediction was the functional equivalent of saying Putin would be dead in a few weeks.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 12:06:28 PM »

Russia still won't win tho even then, if they do that surely a Coalition of the Willing will form including NATO and the remnants of the Ukrainian Army to disarm Russia and free its people.
I think NATO will be too cowardly to do anything if Putin launches a nuclear strike against Ukraine due to fears of widespread nuclear armageddon.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 04:46:33 AM »

I think NATO will be too cowardly to do anything if Putin launches a nuclear strike against Ukraine due to fears of widespread nuclear armageddon.

Vladimir Putin doesn't seem to agree with you, otherwise he probably would have used nukes in Ukraine six months ago.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 05:32:32 AM »

If Russia launches a tactical nuclear weapon, NATO would probably not respond exactly in kind (partially because NATO doesn't really have many tactical nukes and it's not part of American military planning), but it would respond through other means: open season on both the Baltic and Black Sea fleets, a no fly zone being imposed over Ukraine and an unprecedented use of cyberattacks would all be on the table. Don't forget that a nuclear weapon would make Russia truly a pariah, with even the fence sitters of the world signalling that they could not work with a state that uses WMDs.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2022, 05:35:22 AM »

Third option should be nobody, this all ends in nuclear armageddon which I think is underrated possibility as Ukraine continues to humiliate Russia and Putin shows no signs of backing down.

The chances of Putin launching "nuclear armageddon" because of his hurt pride is so near to zero as to not be worth worrying about in practical terms. If he tries a "small" or tactical nuke, the West will have killed him within a day or two at most. If he decides he wants to bring the whole world down with him, his own side (most of whom still want to exist) will bump him off in even shorter order.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2022, 06:26:13 AM »

The chances of Putin launching "nuclear armageddon" because of his hurt pride is so near to zero as to not be worth worrying about in practical terms. If he tries a "small" or tactical nuke, the West will have killed him within a day or two at most. If he decides he wants to bring the whole world down with him, his own side (most of whom still want to exist) will bump him off in even shorter order.

If Putin were a rational actor, this war would never have happened. He's not above using nukes in Ukraine.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2022, 08:42:39 AM »

If Putin were a rational actor, this war would never have happened. He's not above using nukes in Ukraine.

I'm not sure he's above using nuclear weapons in Ukraine either, but the long tables and the incessant masking of everyone near him should be enough to prove that the man still wants to live.

If he starts a chain of events leading to mass nuclear war, I think the most likely cause will not be some kind of nihilistic madness, but mundane stupidity. He has revealed a lot of intellectual blindspots over the last few months.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 10:56:17 AM »

Either Ukraine wins or everyone loses (nuclear option).  There is no scenario in which Russia wins.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies