RI-2 Independent Roger Williams Poll: Fung + 6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:52:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2022 Senate & House Election Polls
  RI-2 Independent Roger Williams Poll: Fung + 6
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: RI-2 Independent Roger Williams Poll: Fung + 6  (Read 1673 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2022, 11:06:24 AM »

Fung could win here. From what I know about him, he is a sensible Republican. Whether he votes that way in Congress is another matter.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2022, 09:21:37 PM »

This could be like the California districts in 2020 where the Republican is able to overperform a lot, but the partisanship of this district makes it hard for them to win.

New England, famously averse to parochialism and strange downballot Republicans.

I'm not betting on the third time being the charm for Fungmentum either, but people and places are not statistics. Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI Abolish Cook PVI

At the US House level? New England very rarely elects Republicans nowadays.

I agree that Cook PVI is stupid though.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2022, 11:08:25 PM »

Fung could win here. From what I know about him, he is a sensible Republican. Whether he votes that way in Congress is another matter.

He's going to vote for Kevin McCarthy to be Speaker, so that rules out him voting sensibly.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »

He's going to vote for Kevin McCarthy to be Speaker, so that rules out him voting sensibly.

Not necessarily. I could see Fung becoming another Katko or Fitzpatrick. And why would you expect a Republican to vote against their Party Leader as Speaker?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2022, 10:46:26 AM »

Not necessarily. I could see Fung becoming another Katko or Fitzpatrick. And why would you expect a Republican to vote against their Party Leader as Speaker?

Agree with Calthrina here, this seat may flip. The poll may be flawed, but didn't we have at least another showing a right race? Not saying it will, but it could. It's common tactic though for both sides to scare voters with the (usually unpopular) party leadership of the other side.

May have been a good move by fung after his 2 failed gov bids to finally get a win under his belt. If 2026 is another D-midterm and McKee retires, he may actually win the governorship this time around.
kwabbit

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2022, 01:12:40 PM »

Agree with Calthrina here, this seat may flip. The poll may be flawed, but didn't we have at least another showing a right race? Not saying it will, but it could. It's common tactic though for both sides to scare voters with the (usually unpopular) party leadership of the other side.

May have been a good move by fung after his 2 failed gov bids to finally get a win under his belt. If 2026 is another D-midterm and McKee retires, he may actually win the governorship this time around.

It would take some political wizardry for Fung to hold this seat in 2024. New England loves its moderate Republicans, but maintaining that image is a lot harder as a Congressman than a Governor. If he is able to win, he'd set be up well for the governorship.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2022, 01:47:39 PM »

Polarization Intensity
State Legislature < Governor < US House < US Senate < President

Polarization makes it tricky for Fung to win, but it isn't as intense as it would be for US Senate. RI-02 is pretty blue, but it doesn't mean it can't flip. In 2018 Dems flipped OK-05 and SC-01 both double digit Trump seats.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2022, 07:43:44 PM »

I don't, obviously. That's why it would be very silly for anyone left of center in RI-2 to vote Fung, regardless of how they like him personally, because he's guaranteed to cast the unreasonable, unjustifiable vote to make Kevin McCarthy the Speaker of the House.

And similarly, people who want that outcome should vote FOR Fung. But I think that the majority of RI-2 voters would prefer Pelosi as speaker to McCarthy.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2022, 08:28:53 PM »

It would take some political wizardry for Fung to hold this seat in 2024. New England loves its moderate Republicans, but maintaining that image is a lot harder as a Congressman than a Governor. If he is able to win, he'd set be up well for the governorship.

I don't think it would be very difficult at all, frankly. He'll have a harder time winning 2022. New Englanders love to see themselves as judicious, wise voters and salivate over any Republican (or Democrat) who breaks with his party once in a while. Rhode Island is also a state where trends may potentially accelerate away from the Democratic ticket quickly if Biden isn't on it to keep white Catholics on board.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2022, 11:02:08 PM »

those golden and fung leads are surely a sign of intense 'polarization' amirite

#pvimatters
kwabbit

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2022, 11:35:41 PM »

those golden and fung leads are surely a sign of intense 'polarization' amirite

#pvimatters

Worth noting that Golden underperformed most polling drastically in 2020. Had Golden +9, +25, +28, +18 in the last month. I think ME-2 had the worst polling misses out of any oft-polled jurisdiction in 2020. Missed Trump's margin by 10 pts and Collin's humungous margin in ME-02 as well. Even if Poliquin wins, I doubt any poll will have him up. I think the 538 model has that race nailed pretty well with Golden having a 63% chance and a +2.8 margin.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2022, 10:44:50 AM »

We have been getting some rather...illogical polls when they come together. I think someone predicted 2022 would be a strange election with little true pattern, depolarization, and a bunch of divergences in both directions. If so the takes on election night will be amazing to see.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2022, 11:43:16 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2022, 11:46:26 AM by RussFeingoldWasRobbed »

We have been getting some rather...illogical polls when they come together. I think someone predicted 2022 would be a strange election with little true pattern, depolarization, and a bunch of divergences in both directions. If so the takes on election night will be amazing to see.
I just can't see Fung winning in a neutral environment. I still expect a Red wave that is diluted by candidate quality on both sides.. we could see bizarre results like Republicans winning districts that are Biden +10 or more(GA 02, NM 03, OR 06, RI 02) and Democrats winning Biden +<5 districts(think GA Sen NC 13, MI 07, KS-3) or even Trump districts(AK AL, ME 02, OH 09)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 06:22:28 PM »

I agree. Allen Fung seems like a Susan Collins style Republican based on the interviews I’ve seen with him. I think he will be a lifer if he ends up (likely) winning in November.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies