OR-06: Cygnal/Erickson (R) internal - Erickson +5
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:51:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2022 Senate & House Election Polls
  OR-06: Cygnal/Erickson (R) internal - Erickson +5
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OR-06: Cygnal/Erickson (R) internal - Erickson +5  (Read 641 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2022, 10:19:34 AM »

BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 11:45:13 AM »

OR-06 is definitely a dark horse pickup opportunity. Wasn't it 1994 when Republicans last held more than one seat in Oregon?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 05:28:10 PM »

I really have no idea what's going to happen in Oregon this year.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 08:56:51 PM »

Sorry, I just don't believe this flipping until it actually does. The idea is that this district is going to swing 18 points and for what exact reason? Even Clinton won here by 7, it just seems strange that Democrats would randomly collapse in Oregon while holding up well elsewhere.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 09:10:17 PM »

Sorry, I just don't believe this flipping until it actually does. The idea is that this district is going to swing 18 points and for what exact reason? Even Clinton won here by 7, it just seems strange that Democrats would randomly collapse in Oregon while holding up well elsewhere.

this poll is clearly junk for categorical reasons but also like

Sorry, I just don't believe this flipping until it actually does. The idea is that this county is going to swing 55 points and for what exact reason? Even Clinton won here by 60, it just seems strange that Democrats would randomly collapse in Starr County while holding up well elsewhere.

stop reading rachel bitecofer
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 09:13:15 PM »

Sorry, I just don't believe this flipping until it actually does. The idea is that this county is going to swing 55 points and for what exact reason? Even Clinton won here by 60, it just seems strange that Democrats would randomly collapse in Starr County while holding up well elsewhere.

Starr County is very, very different from suburban Oregon, and in hindsight, there were good reasons to think Democrats would collapse there. (It's clear that the Democratic Party brand was increasingly at odds with the socially conservative beliefs of border Hispanics and it's also clear that "Defund the Police" rhetoric was especially damaging in a place where law enforcement (either as local law enforcement or as border patrol) is a major source of employment.) This district is literally Salem and the suburbs of Portland. Unless Oregon voters are single issue crime voters I don't see why they'd collapse specifically there and hold up well in similar suburbs/small cities across the country.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 09:15:40 PM »

This race is Lean/Likely D until proven otherwise.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 07:11:56 AM »

Not being Snarky but I totally agree with your last statement. The idea dems can even come close to losing this district in a neutral year is laughable at best
Spectator
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 01:26:01 PM »

I don’t think the House races are in serious jeopardy aside from maybe OR-05, and that would just be a rental. The Governor’s race seems weird since yes, it looks like a Republican is narrowly favored there, but if she wins that race, it doesn’t seem like she’ll get close to 50%. I don’t see Drazan coattails in the House races as a result.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 01:35:01 PM »

I don’t think the House races are in serious jeopardy aside from maybe OR-05, and that would just be a rental. The Governor’s race seems weird since yes, it looks like a Republican is narrowly favored there, but if she wins that race, it doesn’t seem like she’ll get close to 50%. I don’t see Drazan coattails in the House races as a result.

Even OR-5 should be a hold at the end of the day imo
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 01:36:22 PM »

I don't believe OR numbers
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »

Even OR-5 should be a hold at the end of the day imo
In a neutral year of course it should be a hold. Neutral year and an open OR 5 voting republican are not compatible. Skinner is not great as a candidate but she's not even close to being bad enough to lose in a neutral year
kwabbit

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 02:18:09 PM »

Starr County is very, very different from suburban Oregon, and in hindsight, there were good reasons to think Democrats would collapse there. (It's clear that the Democratic Party brand was increasingly at odds with the socially conservative beliefs of border Hispanics and it's also clear that "Defund the Police" rhetoric was especially damaging in a place where law enforcement (either as local law enforcement or as border patrol) is a major source of employment.) This district is literally Salem and the suburbs of Portland. Unless Oregon voters are single issue crime voters I don't see why they'd collapse specifically there and hold up well in similar suburbs/small cities across the country.

If OR-6 and OR-5 flip it will be extremely easy to explain why. Oregonians clearly have a lot of dissatisfaction with the Democratic party. Kate Brown is the least popular governor in the country; that will affect every Democrat running for the office in the state, regardless of their relationship with her. Kotek is only going to get 42% or so at the top of the ticket. The party line will be broken for so many swing voters. If they're voting for Johnson, they'll take a closer look at congressional Republicans than they might have otherwise.

These two districts aren't that Democratic in the first place either. OR-5 is Clinton +3/Biden +9. OR-6 is Clinton +7/Biden+13. The West Coast is also more favorable to the GOP down ballot. When Oregonians are upset about progressive excesses and you nominate progressive candidates that will be easy to paint as soft on crime, inflationary over spenders, you can get a situation like this. I don't think the GOP wins these unless they have a good night, but these are the type of districts that flip regularly in midterm years.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 03:12:42 PM »

If OR-6 and OR-5 flip it will be extremely easy to explain why. Oregonians clearly have a lot of dissatisfaction with the Democratic party. Kate Brown is the least popular governor in the country; that will affect every Democrat running for the office in the state, regardless of their relationship with her. Kotek is only going to get 42% or so at the top of the ticket. The party line will be broken for so many swing voters. If they're voting for Johnson, they'll take a closer look at congressional Republicans than they might have otherwise.

These two districts aren't that Democratic in the first place either. OR-5 is Clinton +3/Biden +9. OR-6 is Clinton +7/Biden+13. The West Coast is also more favorable to the GOP down ballot. When Oregonians are upset about progressive excesses and you nominate progressive candidates that will be easy to paint as soft on crime, inflationary over spenders, you can get a situation like this. I don't think the GOP wins these unless they have a good night, but these are the type of districts that flip regularly in midterm years.

The Republican candidates are dumpster fire-tier awful though
Spectator
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 03:18:54 PM »

Yeah, but Drazan, while leading, isn’t doing that well in her own right. She’s often leading with less than 40% of the vote, and that’s not enough to drag OR-5 and OR-6 across the line downballot.
kwabbit

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 03:52:29 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2022, 04:23:19 PM by kwabbit »

Yeah, but Drazan, while leading, isn’t doing that well in her own right. She’s often leading with less than 40% of the vote, and that’s not enough to drag OR-5 and OR-6 across the line downballot.

Drazan won’t have coattails. It’s more that Kotek won’t have any. The critical factor will be how Johnson voters go in the house races. These voters are obviously not particularly loyal to the Democratic Party. If you’re a Johnson voter, even if you voted for Biden, voting D down the ticket isn’t a forgone conclusion. That doesn’t add up to Erickson being a favorite, but it definitely adds to the uncertainty and makes a GOP win more likely despite the districts partisanship.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »

Drazan won’t have coattails. It’s more that Kotek won’t have any. The critical factor will be how Johnson voters go in the house races. These voters are obviously not particularly loyal to the Democratic Party. If you’re a Johnson voter, even if you voted for Biden, voting D down the ticket isn’t a forgone conclusion. That doesn’t add up to Erickson being a favorite, but it definitely adds to the uncertainty and makes a GOP win more likely despite the districts partisanship.

Also OR-5 isnt that Democratic to begin with. The New OR-5 voted around 4.5 points more Democratic than the Nation in the 2020 Presidential Election but keep in mind Schrader underperformed Biden by 3 points and the old OR-5 was more Democratic than the current one. So a district that you can say is around 3-4 more points Democratic doesnt require a very pro GOP environment as thats not really much.

I would say its not even that much of a stretch to say which every party wins the House NPV will have the edge in this seat. Now OR-6 is a different scenario and yah winning that would require a very pro GOP environment. So I disagree with the idea that OR-5 and OR-6 should be lumped together as OR-5 is clearly less Democratic

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2022/congressional-redistricting-maps-by-state-and-district/oregon/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections#Oregon
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies